Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 17 Focus SE
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Hence my dilemma. It's maddening, but that's why I'm starting early.
17 Mazda6 Touring
17 Focus SE
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10790
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Teamwork wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Maybe I'll just force my wife to learn the 3 pedal dance and get an Accord and keep it for life as it'll most likely be last of an era.
Image
When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." -Jack Handy
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 17 Focus SE
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 am

Drove a WRX yesterday. Had the touchscreen and the kit that I would want, but as Teamwork said the interior is from a $15k car, and not a nearly $30k car. I get that the drivetrain is the expensive part, ut how do other vehicles with similar options (albeit without a manual) manage to have a nicer interior?

Also, the clutch was entirely too springy. However. The exhaust note was interesting. I'll see where the state of affairs is in 2 years when they've possibly released a new generation.

Otherwise, the search continues.
17 Mazda6 Touring
17 Focus SE
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Teamwork » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 am
Drove a WRX yesterday. Had the touchscreen and the kit that I would want, but as Teamwork said the interior is from a $15k car, and not a nearly $30k car. I get that the drivetrain is the expensive part, ut how do other vehicles with similar options (albeit without a manual) manage to have a nicer interior?

Also, the clutch was entirely too springy. However. The exhaust note was interesting. I'll see where the state of affairs is in 2 years when they've possibly released a new generation.

Otherwise, the search continues.
It may seem temperamental but when I got bait and switched by Subaru the OLD 2015 radio was a huge selling point for me. I did my homework to find out that aftermarket units were a fit and that this radio didn't house any car functions that would've been otherwise lost. I couldn't get over how terrible this interior price point was on a whole-- I've been driven compacts essentially all my life but this car was equivalent to a 2004 Protege when I sat in it. The carbon fibre inlays literally looked like they came from an autozone parts bin... A side note that I also found ridiculous was this was the ONLY brand that required me a bank invoice statement and "scheduled test drive". I'm guessing if god forbid I wanted to test drive a WRX STI they would require a DNA background test.

Image

I did really like this engine though... ALOT. I know the EJ is beloved but this would be a good foundation point for the next gen STI. I would've been really interested in how this car would handled NY winters though. I would have guessed this car would become a plow or have problems past 5+ inches of snow due to ground clearance.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... I&slide=40

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10790
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:03 am

Subaru WRX Vs. Hyundai Veloster N: Similar Specs But 2 Big Differences

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru- ... ifferences
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10790
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:13 am

Happy St. Paddy's Day....now go find some green beer to drink.

Image
Grabber Lime effectively replaces Need for Green in the Ford Mustang lineup for 2020 and this new green will be available across the entire model range – from the base EcoBoost to the Shelby GT500
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 17 Focus SE
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 am

We need more greens offered on cars. Several years ago I drove a Mustang with gotta-have-it green. Very did want.
17 Mazda6 Touring
17 Focus SE
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10790
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:30 am

tankinbeans wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 am
We need more greens offered on cars. Several years ago I drove a Mustang with gotta-have-it green. Very did want.
Yanno, they're wuss a period of thyme wear know vehicles were offered in green...maybe 1978 to 1990 or so. Then Teal and other shades of green started coming out....it was like people had gotten sick of green and didn't want to see it again for some time until they got over it.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 17 Focus SE
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:30 am
tankinbeans wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 am
We need more greens offered on cars. Several years ago I drove a Mustang with gotta-have-it green. Very did want.
Yanno, they're wuss a period of thyme wear know vehicles were offered in green...maybe 1978 to 1990 or so. Then Teal and other shades of green started coming out....it was like people had gotten sick of green and didn't want to see it again for some time until they got over it.
I absolutely loved the dark forest green I had on my 1995 Accord.
17 Mazda6 Touring
17 Focus SE
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7388
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 am

tankinbeans wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:40 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:30 am
tankinbeans wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 am
We need more greens offered on cars. Several years ago I drove a Mustang with gotta-have-it green. Very did want.
Yanno, they're wuss a period of thyme wear know vehicles were offered in green...maybe 1978 to 1990 or so. Then Teal and other shades of green started coming out....it was like people had gotten sick of green and didn't want to see it again for some time until they got over it.
I absolutely loved the dark forest green I had on my 1995 Accord.
i had a dark green 96 accord ex manual that I liked. Mom thought it looked old (had it in 2010-11) but I thought it had timeless looks inside and out.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7388
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:06 am

Teamwork wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 pm
tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 am
Drove a WRX yesterday. Had the touchscreen and the kit that I would want, but as Teamwork said the interior is from a $15k car, and not a nearly $30k car. I get that the drivetrain is the expensive part, ut how do other vehicles with similar options (albeit without a manual) manage to have a nicer interior?

Also, the clutch was entirely too springy. However. The exhaust note was interesting. I'll see where the state of affairs is in 2 years when they've possibly released a new generation.

Otherwise, the search continues.
It may seem temperamental but when I got bait and switched by Subaru the OLD 2015 radio was a huge selling point for me. I did my homework to find out that aftermarket units were a fit and that this radio didn't house any car functions that would've been otherwise lost. I couldn't get over how terrible this interior price point was on a whole-- I've been driven compacts essentially all my life but this car was equivalent to a 2004 Protege when I sat in it. The carbon fibre inlays literally looked like they came from an autozone parts bin... A side note that I also found ridiculous was this was the ONLY brand that required me a bank invoice statement and "scheduled test drive". I'm guessing if god forbid I wanted to test drive a WRX STI they would require a DNA background test.

Image

I did really like this engine though... ALOT. I know the EJ is beloved but this would be a good foundation point for the next gen STI. I would've been really interested in how this car would handled NY winters though. I would have guessed this car would become a plow or have problems past 5+ inches of snow due to ground clearance.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... I&slide=40
would be a nice plow, but the interior let’s it down, both the materials and the lousy seats without adjustable lumbar support. Too bad since the engine is so good, and the outside looks great IMO. Note that they switched to touch screen infotainment for 2016, which was both good and bad. I’m currently courting the ‘15-16 legacy limited (with both the 2.5 and the 3.6; 3.6 hard to come by for well under 20k though). If they still offered the legacy with a manual, it would be a better bet for you guys as an all-around commuter car. The wrx handles better and is quicker though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7388
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:11 am

Teamwork wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm
tankinbeans wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am
The one I looked at was $28k and by the time I'm ready do really look there should be a new generation. Still open to options given the considerations I've placed upon what I want. The money doesn't work for me right now in any case. This timeline also gives Mazda a chance to officially release the CX-30 and to indicate how it'd be packaged. Honestly, I prefer Mazda for their relative simplicity, but searching around is always wise.

Eventually I'll need to sh-- or get off the pot, but I'll continue allowing my legs to go numb.
Think the new gen will be really pivotal for this brand. Competition wise they lost the ST but probably now replaced with the Hyundai N line to some capacity but I literally have no qualms about foregoing the AWD for the FWD GTI. The refinement, feature set, and build quality was night and day and honestly my BASE WRX with very few options like fog lamps was close to 28k (it didn't even have a touch screen anything at this point). Stick felt like it was rowing a plastic spoon through wet cement and the clutch take up was pretty tricky. The models in the 2015/2016 year only came with summer tires standard so it would've been pretty much useless in the winter without running a 2nd set. The problem is while the "sport premium" trim with the 5 speed did have good features I did not like anything about that manual experience at all. I never truly got it up to highway speeds (NY edition) either but I'm sure that 5 speed wasn't going to bode well.

@ That under 25k new though options are definitely going to be limited. I'd say 30k for the WRX. After that you'd either have to look at Golf R / STI (RIP FOCUS RS) or start looking at obscure Mini ALL 4 models. Def a pretty tough want here...

Mazda marketing seems too sketchy with the 3. Basically if you want stick you need a high end 28k model-- if you want AWD you can't get stick, if you want AWD you need the hatch. This car needs a flow chart of fork roads just to see if it could be considered... I'm scared for the future of the 6 but would just be happy to see it just be offered. Didn't realize how endangered sedans have become and it's odd because they are probably at their best.

Maybe I'll just force my wife to learn the 3 pedal dance and get an Accord and keep it for life as it'll most likely be last of an era.
Not sure what you’re saying at the end about the accord and 3 pedals, but I personally think the new accord is a hard car to beat if you don’t need/want AWD. Looks grow on me, and interior is heading toward luxury levels. There are some cost cuts if you look like certain trim, the rear seat door materials, etc. but it is overall a very comfortable place to be. Rides a lot smoother than the older 9th gen accords, even the touring model. We had an LX (base) loaner on a couple of occasions and other than the infotainment it didn’t feel low rent at all. I’d try for at least the sport or EX trim though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Teamwork » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:24 pm

potownrob wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:11 am
Not sure what you’re saying at the end about the accord and 3 pedals, but I personally think the new accord is a hard car to beat if you don’t need/want AWD. Looks grow on me, and interior is heading toward luxury levels. There are some cost cuts if you look like certain trim, the rear seat door materials, etc. but it is overall a very comfortable place to be. Rides a lot smoother than the older 9th gen accords, even the touring model. We had an LX (base) loaner on a couple of occasions and other than the infotainment it didn’t feel low rent at all. I’d try for at least the sport or EX trim though.
Meant that the Accord comes with 3 pedal configurations with both engine options I should just grab one before they're all gone. I haven't driven the gen prior but this one is very good and really a pleasant surprise. Exterior wise I really thought this car was going to be a total fat hog but the way the suspension is balanced and the way the car corners -- this is what I really wanted out of the Passat loaner I had. I just spoke about how I like when HVAC is dedicated with actual buttons and knobs-- tactile feel on these in this car is outstanding. Averaging 33 MPG in mixed driving has to be the icing on the cake here. Only weird thing I've noticed is I've had the gas light come on in this car warning me of 30 miles until 0- when I went to fill it I could only get 13 gallons into this thing. I highly doubt that this thing has a 13 gallon fuel tank... but seemed to be a bit premature shut off but the car did show F after. I also find it a bit bizarre with this "half digitial" cockpit that there's literally no option to have a digital speedometer read out. I literally have options to show the distance of the next vehicle in front of me, an option that reads street signs, but not a digital speedometer lol. Nothing here at all deal breakers -- I'd highly recommend this car to basically anyone (even myself). This is literally one of the base engines in this class which I felt may just be adequate for me.

would be a nice plow, but the interior let’s it down, both the materials and the lousy seats without adjustable lumbar support. Too bad since the engine is so good, and the outside looks great IMO. Note that they switched to touch screen infotainment for 2016, which was both good and bad. I’m currently courting the ‘15-16 legacy limited (with both the 2.5 and the 3.6; 3.6 hard to come by for well under 20k though). If they still offered the legacy with a manual, it would be a better bet for you guys as an all-around commuter car. The wrx handles better and is quicker though.
I really liked the 4th gen legacy with the B Spec packaging but the last two gen's really feel like half baked efforts. The exterior looks really just made it seem like they were shooting for a Ford Five Hundred or something. After seeing the pre-production at Geneva it looks like it's going still the wrong direction. Not too sure why they can't really try here to make a refined looking car as opposed to still trying to make an interior that looks like it has to be outdoors related. Not loving also how lazy this brand is about just carrying over engines and transmissions also and saying "good enough".

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 17 Focus SE
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 pm

I'm confused, Team, are you currently driving an Accord as a rental? The post makes it sound like you have some first hand knowledge about what's what.

WRT the tank size. If it's anything like the 2 Accords I've had there's a 17 gallon tank in there. In my 03 I waited until the light came on and then drove as far as I could before filling up. Lasted about 5 days and then I got paranoid and filled up. IIRC it took a little over 16 gallons.
17 Mazda6 Touring
17 Focus SE
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7388
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 pm

If I lived in LI or wherever there might be ridiculous traffic, I’d just get the Accord with the CVT. Blasphemous, I know, but it is that good. If you’re not driving too much each year, I’d forego the hybrid and get the 1.5T. Try for the EX-L; settle for the EX or Sport.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

Post Reply