2001 S10 2.2L engine cuts out on freeway

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual

2001 S10 2.2L engine cuts out on freeway

Post by ClutchFork » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:20 am

For the past several months I have noticed the engine will seem to cut out for a split second every now and then. It might not happen for a few days or so, but then one day it might happen 5 or 6 times in a few miles. It feels like the engine quits for a split second as the truck will jerkily slow for an instant. Shop drove it around with some diagnostic device hooked up and it didn't do it. Mostly notice on freeway and I think generally after engine is somewhat warmed up.

As far as I know the truck, which has over 150,000 miles has original plugs, wires, coil pack(s) (don't think it has a distributor), crank and/or cam position sensors, computer brain module, etc. We bought the truck around 78,000 miles and the owner did not indicate having done anything beyond oil changes, and the only electric components we have replaced on it is battery and alternator. So I am thinking that one of the several electronic components may be the culprit. Since the entire engine seems to cut out, it probably is not the plugs or wires. What could it be? Coil pack(s) I think there are two coil packs, so would both be bad or if one goes bad that would be two cylinders cutting out which might make it feel like whole engine is cutting out. Well, on a 4 cylinder I guess one cylinder cutting out might do that too? Is this something the brain might do (what does GM call it ECU, PCM, ...).
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

IMBoring25

Re: 2001 S10 2.2L engine cuts out on freeway

Post by IMBoring25 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 am

My personal experience with an ECU failure (in a C4 Corvette) was refusal to re-start hot. I'm sure given the complexity of the unit there are other possible failure modes.

I would not rule out fuel pump.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 am

I wunce had an issue with throttle position sensor that gave me goofyness when the engine was warm. It's like the fool infection didn't have enough info to squirt in the appropriate amount of fuel. If I tipped in it would cut out, but then catch again if I backed out of the throttle.

I don't know if you can get to see what codes its throwing, but that may point you in a direction other than joining the "Replacement Part of the Week Club"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual

Post by ClutchFork » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:29 pm

Ah yes, fuel pump. They did change out the fuel filter in January. Said it was pretty clogged. Running like that can be hard of the fuel pump bearings I guess, but that is a different response than the cut out, so I think.

What I am trying to do is if it cuts out, step on the accelerator to see if it revives. Problem is the cut out is so brief there is no way to tell. If I could pull a steep hill for a mile I might be able to see if it cuts out under heavy load, but then if it does not, nothing is proved but that maybe it didn't happen during that run.

Notice it most on freeway which suggests that it does cut out under load. Or I don't notice it on the street because of varying speeds and gears, and/or that I just don't do much surface street driving. Maybe take it out to Hines Drive (40 mph and no stops for several miles at a crack) and cruise 40 mph in OD. The truck will pull OD from 40 with light pedal application to increase speed. On Hines Drive I could run 40 mph in 5th (OD), 4th and even 3rd to see how much it cuts out in each scenario.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:56 pm

In addition to the symptom being among the possible consequences, that's not far from the age and mileage when the fuel pump in my old GMT400 conked out.