S10 was improved by accident today

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual

S10 was improved by accident today

Post by ClutchFork » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:59 pm

So this morning I was in the S10 and rear ended another s10. It was a square-on hit as I slid into him on my fairly worn (but still legal--barely) front tires. It hit firmly and it seems some dust or rust flew, but we pulled over and neither truck had any visible damage. My S10 already had the front right smashed from a few years ago and since then there would be a metal scraping noise over larger bumps. It had been getting worse lately so that every time it went over any bump or made a left turn the scraping noise was there and some popping noises. The shop looked at it and said some mount was rusted through, but it was not a safety issue because the frame is sound. Anyway, after I rear ended the guy, the S10 no longer makes the scraping or popping noise. I think the hit must have crimped the area that was making the noise. A novel way to fix a truck.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima

Re: S10 was improved by accident today

Post by potownrob » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 am

thought you were gonna say you rearended a newer S10, and your S10 magically turned into a newer S10, then post pics of it. leaving disappoint. :( :? :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:08 am

...but this repair process only works with two S-10's, right?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual

Post by ClutchFork » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:08 am
...but this repair process only works with two S-10's, right?
I think the having two S10s helped much as the bumper heights were the same and all S10 owners are automatic friends with other S10 owners which explains why the guy was so concerned as to ask if my S10 was okay.

Now the real proof is to see how long it lasts. Invariably, driving and bumps and wiggles along the road could loosen things up. Maybe some spot welds are in order--or duct tape at least.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...