Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Honest Engines

Post by tankinbeans » Thu May 16, 2019 2:41 pm

If it's North/South would that mean there's a tiny prop shaft and a pumpkin up front? Trying to wrap my brain around how that would work.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Honest Engines

Post by Rope-Pusher » Fri May 17, 2019 12:03 am

tankinbeans wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:41 pm
If it's North/South would that mean there's a tiny prop shaft and a pumpkin up front? Trying to wrap my brain around how that would work.
Be careful when you wrap your brain around it - there are sharp edges where they made the cut-away.

So the North=South FWD Powertrain has accessory drive toward the front of the engine compartment and the power output to the transmission at the back. It looks a lot like a RWD slushbox up to the point that power is transferred by a chain to a side shaft that feeds power to a differential with one of the driveshafts passing through the transmission bellhousing to power the left-front wheel. This trans was referred to as the A606. For the Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler, the A606 was mounted in the rear of the vehicle and fed power from the front-mounted engine via a long driveshaft running at engine speed.

Oldsmobile did something like the A606 with their North-South FWD Toronado back in 1966, but their differential was a separate entity, not integrated with the transmission case.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"