WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Car parts you want to buy
User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by bk7794 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Hello I am looking to purchase a 96-00 civic dx. I will take considerations on an HX or an EX but I preferably want a dx without a/c or powersteering. If anyone has any lead on where I can get on or one who is selling one please post. Thanks :D

Of course it must be a 5speed with low miles. I am talking under 140k.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
Warner
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 2694
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Florida

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by Warner » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 pm

If you haven't, check Craigslist and Autotrader around your area. They usually list ridiculous prices, but are willing to come down quite a bit.

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 16021
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by theholycow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am

bk7794 wrote:Of course it must be a 5speed with low miles. I am talking under 140k.
"low miles"...by your standards. :mrgreen:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7444
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by potownrob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 pm

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Of course it must be a 5speed with low miles. I am talking under 140k.
"low miles"...by your standards. :mrgreen:
i've come to find that IS low miles for most hondas. my 93 accord had over 200k miles on it when i got it (albeit with a newer engine and tranny), my 94 civic had 150k and my 96 accord had almost 180k. all of them held up very well as long as basics were taken care of.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14670
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by AHTOXA » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:04 pm

hondas with that kind of mileage were beat to death in Chicago area.
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7444
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by potownrob » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:14 pm

We live in little towns where you can find some good condition civics, bk and i
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by bk7794 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:59 pm

potownrob wrote:We live in little towns where you can find some good condition civics, bk and i
yeah :D but we live in the rust belt. :( so that's depressing
Warner wrote:If you haven't, check Craigslist and Autotrader around your area. They usually list ridiculous prices, but are willing to come down quite a bit.
I never thought of checking Autotrader, thanks! Craigslist is okay but the crap people post is quite sad...
theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Of course it must be a 5speed with low miles. I am talking under 140k.
"low miles"...by your standards. :mrgreen:
Haha there is method to my madness...then again anything under 2929xx miles is low miles to me. 150k will be just broken in.
AHTOXA wrote:hondas with that kind of mileage were beat to death in Chicago area.
Yeah it will be hard to find the difference between a beaten one and a non beaten one...but they are out there. Especially with me opening my horizon to 2002-2005s...but I wouldn't be able to afford an 04 or 05..
potownrob wrote:
theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Of course it must be a 5speed with low miles. I am talking under 140k.
"low miles"...by your standards. :mrgreen:
i've come to find that IS low miles for most hondas. my 93 accord had over 200k miles on it when i got it (albeit with a newer engine and tranny), my 94 civic had 150k and my 96 accord had almost 180k. all of them held up very well as long as basics were taken care of.
It was funny, we were talking about old cars in one of my classes and metnioned I had a honda, the teacher said "oh those last like 250k", I responded with "Mine has 290k" He almost fell on the floor LOL.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by bk7794 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 pm

2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7444
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by potownrob » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:59 pm

yeah, that does look very nice, and last year of the really good generations :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14670
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by AHTOXA » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 pm

It's not 5k nice, though.
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

User avatar
Warner
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 2694
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Florida

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by Warner » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Don't let the price deter you from looking at it if you're interested. Many of these guys who post ridiculous prices are actually willing to accept much lower offers. Good example: the guy who was selling my STI.

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by bk7794 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:32 pm

potownrob wrote:yeah, that does look very nice, and last year of the really good generations :)
It is, If I had the money I would definitely grab that...I might hold off until summer I might give them a call actually just to see what the story is.
AHTOXA wrote:It's not 5k nice, though.
.
Imho its like 3k price nice. Thats what KBB value is, thats all I will ever pay...and even then I won't. I will account timing belt, water pump, and a tune up.
Warner wrote:Don't let the price deter you from looking at it if you're interested. Many of these guys who post ridiculous prices are actually willing to accept much lower offers. Good example: the guy who was selling my STI.
Were you concerned about the type of person the previous owner was? Like if the car was beaten?
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
Warner
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 2694
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Florida

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by Warner » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:00 pm

bk7794 wrote:
Warner wrote:Don't let the price deter you from looking at it if you're interested. Many of these guys who post ridiculous prices are actually willing to accept much lower offers. Good example: the guy who was selling my STI.
Were you concerned about the type of person the previous owner was? Like if the car was beaten?
Oh, for sure. That was my primary concern with looking for a good STI to purchase. After meeting with the guy, asking him questions, hearing about his care of the car, seeing all the paperwork he kept, etc., I was reasonably confident he didn't abuse the car. He was in his 40s too, which gave me some comfort.

You're definitely taking a risk buying a car from a private seller. You just have to be more thorough and careful when you're checking it out. Even just getting to know the owner a bit can give you a pretty good idea on how he took care of the car.

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by bk7794 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Warner wrote:
bk7794 wrote:
Warner wrote:Don't let the price deter you from looking at it if you're interested. Many of these guys who post ridiculous prices are actually willing to accept much lower offers. Good example: the guy who was selling my STI.
Were you concerned about the type of person the previous owner was? Like if the car was beaten?
Oh, for sure. That was my primary concern with looking for a good STI to purchase. After meeting with the guy, asking him questions, hearing about his care of the car, seeing all the paperwork he kept, etc., I was reasonably confident he didn't abuse the car. He was in his 40s too, which gave me some comfort.

You're definitely taking a risk buying a car from a private seller. You just have to be more thorough and careful when you're checking it out. Even just getting to know the owner a bit can give you a pretty good idea on how he took care of the car.
I was thinking along the same lines, never thought about the paper work. I was looking at a car once from a guy who kept accurate account for his gas mileage...he even had those aerodynamic hub caps..I was amazed..but sadly it was out of my price range.

I would almost rather buy from a private seller if he was the private owner because then you can see what kind of a guy he was..he's not the typical sales men that would bs you to make a quick buck. When you test drove it did he allow you to drive the car? Also if your a bit young..not sure your age, but you think they will and probably will get skeptical. Was that guy?
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
Warner
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 2694
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Florida

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by Warner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:53 pm

bk7794 wrote:I would almost rather buy from a private seller if he was the private owner because then you can see what kind of a guy he was..he's not the typical sales men that would bs you to make a quick buck. When you test drove it did he allow you to drive the car? Also if your a bit young..not sure your age, but you think they will and probably will get skeptical. Was that guy?
A private seller is definitely preferable to a shady dealer, but I'd still (most of the time) rather buy from a reputable dealer than a private seller.

I'm 23, so I'm fairly young, but not frighteningly so. If he was skeptical, he didn't show it. He had no problem letting me test drive it. I had also gone in to a dealership the day before and easily arranged a test drive of a new Mustang GT--another car that probably brings in a bunch of young guys. I guess I'm either getting to the age where people don't think about it or I seem mature enough for it not to matter...or maybe I got lucky twice.

Post Reply