Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
IMBoring25

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by IMBoring25 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:17 pm Volvo Drops Cars from a Crane for Rescue Training

I'm guessing they dropped the cars 30 meters and the US press picked it up as 100 feet.

I feel safer now, knowing that if I'm ever driving through a junkyard in Sweden and the evil guy picks my vehicle up with a magnet and then drops it from 30 meters above the ground, the first responders will know how to get my corpse out of it.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry- ... -training/
Just like the US press, exaggerating the facts...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey, How About Them Snowflakes?!!!

(Actually, we didn't get much more than an inch here)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:42 am Hey, How About Them Snowflakes?!!!

Yeah, what was it mostly snow for nearly 36 hours usually means a foot of snow around here. It looks like i got 2 to 2.5 inches. I shouldn't complain, but do anyway.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:38 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:42 am Hey, How About Them Snowflakes?!!!

Yeah, what was it mostly snow for nearly 36 hours usually means a foot of snow around here. It looks like i got 2 to 2.5 inches. I shouldn't complain, but do anyway.
DOG will punish you!
He'll give you free, juicy ham sandwiches for life,.........and then make you Jewish!
It's similar to when your Mom told you "Don't make faces like that or you'll get stuck looking that way"

My cousin living in Binghamton, NY has a right to complain about the snow!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FLEAS NAVIGATE

HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING SOME COLD WEATHER TOO!

...but you can expect higher shift efforts. Cold trans fluid clings to parts and makes it difficult for the synchronizers - that's just the way it is. Park your vehicle in a heated garage or get used to it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I went to a Chinese restaurant and the placemat said 2021 was the "Year of the Vaccine".
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:38 pm ...but you can expect higher shift efforts. Cold trans fluid clings to parts and makes it difficult for the synchronizers - that's just the way it is. Park your vehicle in a heated garage or get used to it.
I have Redline MTL in the 2001 S10 tranny (not sure, but maybe it takes ATF), anyway if it is zero F or colder I may have to drive a quarter mile or more before I can even get it into second gear. That is the worst I have experienced. My 2001 Ranger and my older F150s never were that hard to shift in cold and I did run manual trans fluid instead of ATF in them.

You can buy these adhesive heaters in various sizes for the oil pan and or the transmission, then plug in over night. I had one on my oil pan for the F150. Ha, one morning I forgot to unplug it but it unplugged anyway when I backed out.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:23 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:38 pm ...but you can expect higher shift efforts. Cold trans fluid clings to parts and makes it difficult for the synchronizers - that's just the way it is. Park your vehicle in a heated garage or get used to it.
I have Redline MTL in the 2001 S10 tranny (not sure, but maybe it takes ATF), anyway if it is zero F or colder I may have to drive a quarter mile or more before I can even get it into second gear. That is the worst I have experienced. My 2001 Ranger and my older F150s never were that hard to shift in cold and I did run manual trans fluid instead of ATF in them.

You can buy these adhesive heaters in various sizes for the oil pan and or the transmission, then plug in over night. I had one on my oil pan for the F150. Ha, one morning I forgot to unplug it but it unplugged anyway when I backed out.
Ah, Yes, the old "Automatic Unplugger".
The last time I toured a fire station, they kept exhaust ventilation hoses connected to the trucks while parked inside the station. The hoses were hung from overhead rails and could follow the trucks, as they took off on a call, until the exhaust pipes were outdoors, before their Automatic Unpluggers activated. The fireman giving the tour said this was to keep the fumes and particles from the diesel exhausts, which are at their worst immediately following a cold start, from accumulating inside the building. Firemen's lungs have more than enough exposure to bad stuff without adding to it with the exhaust from their own trucks.
I don't think I'd want to be standing behind the truck when the Automatic Unplugger activated.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

When I was a lad,......the school busses were Amish. I'm not totally certain, but I seem to recall that some or all ran on gasoline. That was changing and by the time I was in High School any newly purchased busses were slushbox diesels.

Wooden sprise me if they had plans to purchase, or had already started purchasing, battery-electric busses. I hope they still play a simulated loud exhaust note, for the sake of safety and maybe a few kids need to hear the bus coming in the distance to get their sleepy butts out the door on time.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME ALIVE, COPPER!
Camaro sales in some states stymied until brake pads w/o copper can be developed.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry- ... %20Openers
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:25 am When I was a lad,......the school busses were Amish. I'm not totally certain, but I seem to recall that some or all ran on gasoline. That was changing and by the time I was in High School any newly purchased busses were slushbox diesels.

Wooden sprise me if they had plans to purchase, or had already started purchasing, battery-electric busses. I hope they still play a simulated loud exhaust note, for the sake of safety and maybe a few kids need to hear the bus coming in the distance to get their sleepy butts out the door on time.
When I toured Mammoth Cave about 15-20 years ago, they had Amish buses with tachometers. I sat in the front seat so I would watch the action on the tach. . Of course driving a few miles to the cave entrance entailed lots of hills and curves, so a good time, only better were I the one driving the bus.
Stick shiftin since '77
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

And then there's me, who owns a bus and it completely OK with it being an automatic. I don't think I would particularly enjoy squeezing a 35' long vehicle with shitty visibility in to the places I've squeezed it so far. Also the wife can drive it, so that makes life easier if I ever want to nap.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:03 pm And then there's me, who owns a bus and it completely OK with it being an automatic. I don't think I would particularly enjoy squeezing a 35' long vehicle with shitty visibility in to the places I've squeezed it so far. Also the wife can drive it, so that makes life easier if I ever want to nap.
I think this falls in line with my feelings on trailer towing with an Amish vehicle. When you need to back up precisely, you need to back up slowly. You really shouldn't be modulating the vehicle speed by slipping the clutch, so what you want is a "creeper" gear ratio for Reverse, so you can back up slowly and modulate your speed with the accelerator pedal. This is even more true when backing uphill and/or backing over terrain with high rolling resistance, like soft soil or a field of tall grass. Most Amish vehicles do NOT have a "creeper" ratio in Reverse gear range, so when driving them it's best to avoid situations where you need to back up precisely. For situations where that is not possible, a slushbox is maybe the best choys.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

NHTSA CLEARS TESLA OF SUDDEN UNINTENDED ACCELERATION
Back in January of last year, Tesla was accused that some of its vehicles would accelerate out of control all on their own. As we pointed out then, it was a short seller who accused Tesla. We said it was obvious that drivers were hitting the accelerator instead of the brake pedal. And now NHTSA is backing that up. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will not seek a formal review because the incidents were caused by pedal misapplication. Here’s our Autoline Insight. Problems with sudden unintended acceleration first started appearing in the 1950’s when automatic transmissions started becoming popular. To this day, NHTSA has never found any cases related to cars with manual transmissions.

I thought I had heard of a case where an Amish vehicle suddenly accelerated when a bee stung a horse, but maybe I am mistaken.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:53 am
watkins wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:03 pm And then there's me, who owns a bus and it completely OK with it being an automatic. I don't think I would particularly enjoy squeezing a 35' long vehicle with shitty visibility in to the places I've squeezed it so far. Also the wife can drive it, so that makes life easier if I ever want to nap.
I think this falls in line with my feelings on trailer towing with an Amish vehicle...
Aside from your mention of steep hills (ugh) I don't particularly mind towing with my car. Being that it's lowered, I do tend to avoid that awful off road option any way. That's when I take the Wrangler instead. Which actually brings me to a very much related situation. My friends have a camper that's just shy of a JK max tow rating, weighing in at 3,4XX pounds. After some particularly stinky clutch one camping trip, I told him to put it in 4LOW, which he's done with great results ever since whenever he backs in to a campsite. Of course this is a non-pavement granny reverse, but it gets the job done.