Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:26 am Sixty Feet for $60!

Start working out now to improve your Black Friday discount.

https://usautomi.com/Home/BlackFridaySale
eye'm gunna start walking now sew isle bee awl mussel buy the thyme eye get two fichigan :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Check on availability of parts first! It would be terrible if you walked all the way over here and then they didn't have what you needed / wanted.

I went looking for a particular brand of vehicle and it didn't show in their drop-down menu of choices......I found out that they won't let you do a real-time inventory search if they don't have one of that brand in the yard. If you sign up for text notifications, you can choose from a plethora or two of automotive brands, whether they have any in stock or not.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

butt eye’m awl red dee halve whey dare... :| :x :cry:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Setting off for CO this Friday with plan to arrive to our new house on Sunday evening. Stopping in Lubbock for a day to see the GF's family.

You've been good to me for 9 years, Texas, but I can't wait to leave.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:41 pm Setting off for CO this Friday with plan to arrive to our new house on Sunday evening. Stopping in Lubbock for a day to see the GF's family.

You've been good to me for 9 years, Texas, but I can't wait to leave.
yippee kayay!! Glad you finally are getting to move to CO!!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

A Whale of a Tail

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54780430

...or a tale of a whale's tail.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I would rather drive this with a manual:

than this with an automatic:

Besides, the Chevy Luv pickup has better styling and could be made to look pretty good with a few rattle cans of Rustoleum. My brother had a Luv in the 1980s. Fun truck.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"To free up capacity, VW plans to end U.S. production of the Passat, which will no longer be offered in the country.

Volkswagen is ramping up its electrification plans in the U.S. Ward Auto reports the automaker will build another ID model alongside the ID.4 crossover in Chattanooga, TN. It will be a production version of the ID Crozz Coupe concept that will be badged as the ID.5. It will come in both single and dual motor setups. While production is slated to start in 2022, the first examples of the ID.4 and ID.5 will come from VW’s plant in Germany. To make room for the ID.5 in Chattanooga, Volkswagen will stop making the Passat there and it will no longer be offered in the U.S. market. The Atlas is also made in that plant, but it’s sticking around for now.

https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/seco ... ooga-plant
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Metal monolith found by helicopter crew in Utah desert

The Utah Department of Public Safety Aero Bureau released images of the rectangular-shaped metal object in a news release last week.

It said authorities would determine if "they need to investigate further".

"It is illegal to install structures or art without authorisation on federally managed public lands, no matter what planet you're from," the department said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55056570
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 pm Metal monolith found by helicopter crew in Utah desert

The Utah Department of Public Safety Aero Bureau released images of the rectangular-shaped metal object in a news release last week.

It said authorities would determine if "they need to investigate further".

"It is illegal to install structures or art without authorisation on federally managed public lands, no matter what planet you're from," the department said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55056570
Check it for fingerprints? I guess someone dropped it from a certain elevation from a helicopter and it was just in the right spot to plant itself like that.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Babarazam123 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 am
Yanno, for a thread that really has no topic, you somehow were able to make your first post to this site as off-topic as possible. I'm not so sure that link really DOES lead to a site for on-line passport renewals. I have half a mind.........to report you to the authorities!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:38 pm "To free up capacity, VW plans to end U.S. production of the Passat, which will no longer be offered in the country.

Volkswagen is ramping up its electrification plans in the U.S. Ward Auto reports the automaker will build another ID model alongside the ID.4 crossover in Chattanooga, TN. It will be a production version of the ID Crozz Coupe concept that will be badged as the ID.5. It will come in both single and dual motor setups. While production is slated to start in 2022, the first examples of the ID.4 and ID.5 will come from VW’s plant in Germany. To make room for the ID.5 in Chattanooga, Volkswagen will stop making the Passat there and it will no longer be offered in the U.S. market. The Atlas is also made in that plant, but it’s sticking around for now.

https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/seco ... ooga-plant
The Shoe Fell Off the Other Foot: Passat production in Europe to end as well.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/euro ... 52240.html
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

that stinks. eye wish we had gotten the euro passat hear, inn stead off the boat they made fore US. ive even driven the boat, and it leaves sum thing two bee duh sired. either they think merry cans want cheap boring cars (which the dammed masses seam too like; thanks a lot dammed masses), ore they don't take US serious lee. too late now. may bee they will mark down the dammed tiguan and one can bee had four dirt cheap. thyme will tell.

btw: thanks for warning me about the potentially bad link in the passport guy's post. eye might've clicked on it otherwise sins my passport as expired...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yanno, VW was importing the Rabbit and it was selling like hotcakes and then they decided to open a plant in Westmoreland, Pennsylvania to make them here to add extra production capacity and to get around the high cost of Chermin labor and import duties. Unfortunately, they also avoided the added cost of Farfegnugen. They were still selling well for a while, and some buyers weren't buying them to get their daily dose of Farfegnugen, so they were happy as a homeless guy with a turkey sandwich. VW jumped on the opportunity to open yet another assembly plant, this time in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

There was this former missile plant where Chrysler used to build the first US space program rockets. The plant was built and owned by the federal government, but sittin' kinda useless-like ever since Chrysler got outta the rocket business. The state of Michigan got VW to pony-up with some cash for building two new office buildings at the Army Tank Command. The army gave the former missile plant to Michigan and Michigan gave it to VW. When the Red Wings used to play hockey at Olympia Stadium (The Old Red Barn), they wudda called that some sorta squid pro quo.

VW started retooling the Missile Plant into a VW Auto Manufacturing Plant, but never finished doing it. Sales of the Rabbit (Were they selling it as the Golf by then?) had turned sour. For those that specifically wanted a car with Farfegnugen, they were dissapoint.

Around 1984, along came Chrysler, fresh out of bankruptcy and looking for a place to build some cars. They bought the plant from VW, christened it "Sterling Heights Assembly", retooled it to have a Body Shop (Place where the car bodies are assembled), a Paint Shop (Yes Lenny, we're gonna live off the fat of the land and raise some rabbits), and an Assembly Line. They've been building vehicles there ever since (Ram Pick-m-Ups Aargh built there now, Matey!)

So ya see, when ya build sumpin wiff Farfegnugen, mebbe not everybody knows or cares, but those that do take a fence when you start cheatin' them out of their Farfegnugen.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Volvo Drops Cars from a Crane for Rescue Training

I'm guessing they dropped the cars 30 meters and the US press picked it up as 100 feet.

I feel safer now, knowing that if I'm ever driving through a junkyard in Sweden and the evil guy picks my vehicle up with a magnet and then drops it from 30 meters above the ground, the first responders will know how to get my corpse out of it.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry- ... -training/