Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devo3kdSPQY[/youtube]

I've seen worse videos on explaining how the clutch on an Amish vehicle functions.

Anyone notice the glaring fault?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 am [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devo3kdSPQY[/youtube]

I've seen worse videos on explaining how the clutch on an Amish vehicle functions.

eye made it about 3 minutes in before i couldn't maintain enough attention to watch anymore. he did say something about hills and clutches, at least implying that he was going to propagate holding the car on a hill with the clutch. someone else without ADD can let me know what happens later in the video. :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:58 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 am [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devo3kdSPQY[/youtube]

eye made it about 3 minutes in before i couldn't maintain enough attention to watch anymore. he did say something about hills and clutches, at least implying that he was going to propagate holding the car on a hill with the clutch. someone else without ADD can let me know what happens later in the video. :shock:
I know what you mean. There is so much new material posted on this site that it's difficult to find the time to keep up with it all.

As far as "Hanging the vehicle on a slope using clutch friction", it's all a matter of how long you hang it there. If you wait the entire sequence of a traffic signal light, that is maybe too long, right?

The same group made a video on AT vs MT. It's strange how they can do well in some areas, like discussing the function of a synchronizer, but then state that a "Clutch Pack" is used to disconnect the trans from the engine and they show images of an AT clutch pack. I'm stinkin' their lernin' is all from a book.

Oh, and the Hell they caught when they said to press the clutch pedal first before starting to brake. Half the internet jumped in and said how the world as we know it was going to end because the vehicle would be out of control or something if the engine were disconnected from the drive wheels while the vehicle was in motion.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQgOtveQi0[/youtube]
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:46 am Image
Getting around here dead they are.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:46 am Image
Getting around here dead they are.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Ya'll still here, I see. Just checking in, although I've not owned a manual car for a while now. I guess I'll stay for now since I do own a manual motorcycle still, although it may go as well. After 5 years of riding I'm thinking about hanging it up. Bored of it, mostly, and it seems that driver distraction has gotten worse, IMO. More and more I see people watching YouTube and Netflix in traffic and a it just takes what little joy there was in city riding right out.

I told myself if I don't reach X number of miles by this spring, then it's going to go and it's sure looking that way. I'll use the cash to buy a new MTB or maybe even a side-by-side once we get to CO.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

AHTOXA wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 pm Ya'll still here, I see. Just checking in, although I've not owned a manual car for a while now. I guess I'll stay for now since I do own a manual motorcycle still, although it may go as well. After 5 years of riding I'm thinking about hanging it up. Bored of it, mostly, and it seems that driver distraction has gotten worse, IMO. More and more I see people watching YouTube and Netflix in traffic and a it just takes what little joy there was in city riding right out.

I told myself if I don't reach X number of miles by this spring, then it's going to go and it's sure looking that way. I'll use the cash to buy a new MTB or maybe even a side-by-side once we get to CO.
I can't imagine having a motorcycle these days. It was bad enough 40 years ago when I had one for a few years. It's even more dangerous to be a pedestrian these days. Drivers in Detroit seem to just keep coming at you, figuring you will get out of the way. I wouldn't ride a bicycle on the main roads either. They don't have those flattened stick bicyclists painted on the street for no reason, but as a warning of what will happen to anyone who spends too much time bicycling in the city.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

I'm overdue but I'm still here... though my GTI is not. I ended up re-selling it back to the dealership I bought new 2 weeks ago and ended an era. I loved the car and I'm grateful for all the assistance and guidance this forum has provided me for years. This car never stranded me, but definitely was not reliable and kind of felt like a grenade with the pin out. I did feel quite attached to it though and was sad to see it go.

I've entered PHEV realm as much as that pains people here but I went with a 2019 Hyundai Ioniq. Got the full tax credit making a car that stickers for 33.5k to just above 20k. The car just makes sense for me at this point where my commute of actual driving has degraded to about a less then 10 mile stint to the train station a day. I've had the car since 02/16/20 and still haven't put gas into it yet...

Will check in from time to time here and hope that standardshift continues onwards--- I'll never say never in terms of going back to manual transmission. I'm hopeful but still very appreciative of all the help from the regulars here over the years.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

:P
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Speaking of Jeety Eyes, they will be the entry-level vehicle in the 8th generation Golf family in the You Hess off Aye.

....or zoe zee Cherminz voot haff us bleef.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/ ... 8-readmore
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 pm Ya'll still here, I see. Just checking in, although I've not owned a manual car for a while now. I guess I'll stay for now since I do own a manual motorcycle still, although it may go as well. After 5 years of riding I'm thinking about hanging it up. Bored of it, mostly, and it seems that driver distraction has gotten worse, IMO. More and more I see people watching YouTube and Netflix in traffic and a it just takes what little joy there was in city riding right out.

OH NOES!! what about when you get to CO, won't you want to ride your motorcycle through the hills and dales there?? :o :shock: :| :?:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:17 pm I'm overdue but I'm still here... though my GTI is not. I ended up re-selling it back to the dealership I bought new 2 weeks ago and ended an era. I loved the car and I'm grateful for all the assistance and guidance this forum has provided me for years. This car never stranded me, but definitely was not reliable and kind of felt like a grenade with the pin out. I did feel quite attached to it though and was sad to see it go.

I've entered PHEV realm as much as that pains people here but I went with a 2019 Hyundai Ioniq. Got the full tax credit making a car that stickers for 33.5k to just above 20k. The car just makes sense for me at this point where my commute of actual driving has degraded to about a less then 10 mile stint to the train station a day. I've had the car since 02/16/20 and still haven't put gas into it yet...

Will check in from time to time here and hope that standardshift continues onwards--- I'll never say never in terms of going back to manual transmission. I'm hopeful but still very appreciative of all the help from the regulars here over the years.
i'd be more disappointed in your choice of hybrid (that's a plug-in hybrid or regular hybrid? too lazy to check) than that you went with one. i of course would recommend the accord hybrid or the civic equivalent (too lazy/tired to remember the name of that one ATM); new accord is close to luxury feeling and riding, especially in ex-l or higher trim. ex is a nice compromise though. have driven sister's '18 accord hybrid and it is a nice ride indeed, though not quite as nice riding as the almighty lexus. either way, glad you got out of the grenade and into something that should make more sense for city driving.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:21 pm Speaking of Jeety Eyes, they will be the entry-level vehicle in the 8th generation Golf family in the You Hess off Aye.

....or zoe zee Cherminz voot haff us bleef.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/ ... 8-readmore
glad i left that company. looks like they're moving downmarket instead of up now...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:29 am

OH NOES!! what about when you get to CO, won't you want to ride your motorcycle through the hills and dales there?? :o :shock: :| :?:
I'd be more interested in offroad things than onroad things, really. Would rather have a side by side I can haul to the trailheads than road riding. Or a snowmobile.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650