You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Post Reply
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10935
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by Rope-Pusher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:43 pm

This issue talks about compensating stealership employees. It seems that flat rate technician pay results in pay fluctuations that many techicians hate. Upselling services is being pushed onto service advisors, but often results in customers being turned off or avoiding having work performed at stealership service departments. There is no easy answer.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/crain/f ... dex.php#/0
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15793
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
Location: Salem, MA

Re: You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by watkins » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:46 am

Flat rate is definitely both a blessing and a curse. I can make serious money when the work is good, especially with our bonus plan. But god forbid I get stuck with two or three crap warranty jobs. Fortunately we have a guarantee plan, but that only pays out 75% of the time we're on the clock at work. As in punch in when we get there, punch out when we go home; not punched in to an actual job on a vehicle.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10935
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by Rope-Pusher » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:03 pm

watkins wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:46 am
Flat rate is definitely both a blessing and a curse. I can make serious money when the work is good, especially with our bonus plan. But god forbid I get stuck with two or three crap warranty jobs. Fortunately we have a guarantee plan, but that only pays out 75% of the time we're on the clock at work. As in punch in when we get there, punch out when we go home; not punched in to an actual job on a vehicle.
Interesting that I read that Henry Ford the Onest suggested / commanded the flat rate pay system.

Tummy, it's kinda sorta like tipping in a restaurant.

Really, I'm responsible for managing the employees?

I thought I was the customer.
Image

They are using the Flat Rate system to motivate / manage the employees to get more work done in a shorter amount of time. There will be jobs that NOBODY wants to be assigned to, because there isn't a firm diagnosis and repair isn't cut and dried. Someblolly gonna loose sum munny on dat one.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
Shadow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3355
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 am
Location: New York

Re: You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by Shadow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:19 am

The easy answer is to dump the entire concept of flat rate. It's one of the reasons that I got out of the car repair business many years ago. Sure, you can make good money at times, but there's a lot of BS politics involved (who gets the gravy jobs?) and unless you work in a super busy shop, it's not always guaranteed that you can make more money working flat rate than you can with a standard hourly wage.

Personally, quitting car repair was the best move I've ever made. My annual earnings are almost triple what they were in my best year as an auto technician. And I don't even have to get my hands dirty anymore! I do still wrench on my own cars, basically for fun at this point.
Image

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15793
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
Location: Salem, MA

Re: You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by watkins » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:03 pm

A few things of note:

-A good dispatcher will make sure both the gravy and shit work are fairly distributed, as well as monitoring every techs hours to make sure nobody is falling too far behind.

-Flat rate wages are almost always higher than hourly since there is less of a chance of a loss for the company. Most flat rate shops have some sort of production bonus plan in place as well. For example, I earn an extra dollar per hour on every hour produced at 45 hours, $2 at 55, and $3 at 66. Why 66? No idea. Fortunately even when we're relatively slow it isn't generally difficult to make at least 40 hours. My last sub-40 check was in January following a week with both a day off and a blizzard that shut us down early.

-At least in Mopar dealer land, top level techs can collect pretty serious diag time. This can often offset the crap jobs that turn in to loser tickets. We also obviously get paid more for our training and skill levels with those of us who are Master level being rather valuable to have around.

-For a lot of us the money is great. For most of us, the money isn't the best part of the job. Not dealing with people, the freedom of not being strapped to a desk, and the ability to actually use some brain power are all reasons I and a lot of others put up with the flat rate crap.

wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:36 am
Location: GR MI
Contact:

Re: You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by wannabe87 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 am

What’s flat rate?

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10935
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by Rope-Pusher » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 am

wannabe87 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 am
What’s flat rate?
In its simplest form, under a flat rate pay system, each job has a time value associated with it. The listing may say "Remove and Replace Starter Motor on 2015 Subaru 2.0 Forester ....2 hours".
The technician in this case would be paid 2 hours x their hourly rate, whether they can get it done in a shorter amount of time or it takes them longer.

Essentially, it is intended to motivate the technician to work faster, because working faster is like giving yourself a pay raise.

Imagine that you were getting paid $"X" per flat tire, $"Y" per need a jump, and $"Z" per need a tow calls, no matter how long you were on the phone with the customer......and getting paid $ "NOTHING" when not on the phone with a customer. During cold winter weather, you could quicken your pace, make more money, and get more people taken care of, but during warm, sunny days, you might not earn much money at all.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:36 am
Location: GR MI
Contact:

Re: You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by wannabe87 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:56 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 am
wannabe87 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 am
What’s flat rate?
In its simplest form, under a flat rate pay system, each job has a time value associated with it. The listing may say "Remove and Replace Starter Motor on 2015 Subaru 2.0 Forester ....2 hours".
The technician in this case would be paid 2 hours x their hourly rate, whether they can get it done in a shorter amount of time or it takes them longer.

Essentially, it is intended to motivate the technician to work faster, because working faster is like giving yourself a pay raise.

Imagine that you were getting paid $"X" per flat tire, $"Y" per need a jump, and $"Z" per need a tow calls, no matter how long you were on the phone with the customer......and getting paid $ "NOTHING" when not on the phone with a customer. During cold winter weather, you could quicken your pace, make more money, and get more people taken care of, but during warm, sunny days, you might not earn much money at all.
Nah summer/warm weather is our busiest time of the year, mainly cuz days are longer and people bring recreational vehicles out.

But that makes sense

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10935
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: You Fixed the Ops, Now Fix My Car!

Post by Rope-Pusher » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Keep it simple. If you can fix it with a screwdriver, it'll NEVER let you down. - Worms of Wisdom from Uncle Tony

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP627rHmn0k[/youtube]
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Post Reply