Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

It only makes sense since most of the crossovers share significant underbits with a sedan model. Why not offer it across the board? I know, I know, by not offering a big feature like AWD on a sedan the manufacturer can make a credible upsell and earn more money.

However, there are always people like me who would like AWD, even if it's not necessarily a must have, and don't want to take on the rest of the negative consequences of a crossover or SUV. The lumbering height, center of gravity, more ponderous handling, michblower fuel smileage. I wonder how many sales were lost to Superpoo because they were the only game in town offering AWD without requiring that you buy a crossover or Sport Utility.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

On another note, I'm exceptionally intrigued with what I'm reading from the rumour mill. Mazda are developing a large RWD/AWD architecture with a Sky-X and a Sky-D I6 for their push to go upmarket.

I wonder if Mazda would be able to use Toyota as a pass-thru to get their hands on BMW's I6 (or large car platform) from the Supra since Toyota have working arrangements with both companies. Or would that not be something Mazda/Toyota/BMW would be able to with the way their respective partnerships are structured?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 1:50 am On another note, I'm exceptionally intrigued with what I'm reading from the rumour mill. Mazda are developing a large RWD/AWD architecture with a Sky-X and a Sky-D I6 for their push to go upmarket.

I wonder if Mazda would be able to use Toyota as a pass-thru to get their hands on BMW's I6 (or large car platform) from the Supra since Toyota have working arrangements with both companies. Or would that not be something Mazda/Toyota/BMW would be able to with the way their respective partnerships are structured?
Seems Toyota’s been in bed with several competitors lately. You have Subaru, bmw and Mazda all sharing things with toyoda. Not sure how close the connections are but, unless toyoda is using one of their I6 engines from overseas, I doubt they’d resurrect the one from the early 2000s they used to use in the sporty cars. I would like to note that the new 3 series looks suspiciously like a Lexus, and no one seems to want to comment on this.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Teamwork, don't forget to take into consideration the backseat room, if you ever plan to put a car seat back there. CX-3 backseat might be fine for a short ride with your buddies, but will it fit a carseat without the front passenger seat having to be pushed into the dashboard? That said, you can probably get a deal on a used one, along with a used (~2015 or older) CX-5, if you want the SUV/AWD thing (eye no eye dew).
So my google searches here have probably looked mightly suspicious but essentially I've either gone through car forums (specific models) and try and looking for a forum subject or used cars.com on their baby seat page. It's the first time I've ever ventured into this field but I'm near 100% sure that even if I went into a 3 year lease the next car would see a spawn-- so this stuff does matter.

Accordingly to my research on Mazda; (base this off of the full cycle refresh CX3/CX5, last gen Mazda 3) it has been said the CX3 can do the car seat behind the driver (harder for a taller passenger), Mazda 3 sedan is essentially a tight squeeze and not advised (guys have moved to CX3/CX5 for this reason), and CX5 is obviously logically the best. My wife still has CX5 with AWD combination high on her radar in 2 years when the Civic is done...

BUT-
tankinbeans wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 1:45 am It only makes sense since most of the crossovers share significant underbits with a sedan model. Why not offer it across the board? I know, I know, by not offering a big feature like AWD on a sedan the manufacturer can make a credible upsell and earn more money.

However, there are always people like me who would like AWD, even if it's not necessarily a must have, and don't want to take on the rest of the negative consequences of a crossover or SUV. The lumbering height, center of gravity, more ponderous handling, michblower fuel smileage. I wonder how many sales were lost to Superpoo because they were the only game in town offering AWD without requiring that you buy a crossover or Sport Utility.
It's funny that this is the trend, I originally knocked SUV's without AWD but in terms of market placement, trim offerings, and packaging I have opened up the door for subcompact SUV's with ONLY FWD. There is no doubt in my mind that any SUV class has a superior trim / option package offering then any adjacent sedan now. It has to be a product of demand market being wider in the raised class but none the less I'd forgo the 1,200-2k option of AWD on an SUV that has the same ground clearance as a mid size sedan and just put on winter tires (in the winter?). I was crunching some guestimation numbers and the weight penalty / fuel economy demerit probably doesn't outweigh the 4-5 days in 365 days a year that I'll need AWD.

I never got to Mazda last weekend and it's looking grim with mother's day to getting there this weekend. Oh well--
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:39 am
AHTOXA wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:31 pm Hey must have built the armrest in the Sonic for me. The one thing that did car have was good driver ergos.
hopefully the new ride is treating you better overall. how's the wild steed holding up?? :twisted:
It’s holding up well! It’s not been three months yet and I’ve rolled past 5500 miles in it, mainly due to a couple of road trips.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:53 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:39 am
AHTOXA wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:31 pm Hey must have built the armrest in the Sonic for me. The one thing that did car have was good driver ergos.
hopefully the new ride is treating you better overall. how's the wild steed holding up?? :twisted:
It’s holding up well! It’s not been three months yet and I’ve rolled past 5500 miles in it, mainly due to a couple of road trips.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

Enterprise gave me a 2018 Nissan Sentra. Had a sport option. Doesn’t go fast. 🤷‍♀️ :confused:

I do have a complaint re: headlights! I do the dial for headlights and the light on the dash comes on. I ASSUMED MY HEADLIGHTS WERE ON. I was wrong. The orange lights were. There was no visual difference on my dash display between white headlights and orange lights.

I WAS THE ASSHOLE DRIVING IN THE RAIN WITHOUT PROPER HEADLIGHTS. f**k.

It was push to start. Got to learn that. Out of habit tho I sit down and take off my keys from my belt. “Oh right” *puts them in purse*

Didn’t need my roadside assistance at all. The roads were not bad (96-696-m10), although Thursday between Howell MI and Southfield the westbound 696 was a stand still. Not my side. I did fine with traffic, lane changes, and keeping up in the left lane without any tickets!

Was a good car. Still not looking to own my own tho.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

Oh and re: parents wanting kids. I might be 32, but my parents don’t want kids yet, they have 17 and 18 year olds at home and mom works with babies in the NICU.

I’m never giving her kids. Or pets at this point. I have plants! My lease says no pets.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Spice Girls "Wannabe my lover" wrote: Sentra as rental. #meh
Kill it with fire until it dies from it. I drove my friends in 2011, it was hateful then and I can't imagine it's much better now. That said, I kind of liked the orange gauges.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:07 pm
Kill it with fire until it dies from it. I drove my friends in 2011, it was hateful then and I can't imagine it's much better now. That said, I kind of liked the orange gauges.
I didn't know they came in flavors!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:07 pm
Digital dash was interesting.

Car had enough room for me and my stuff

Was a free upgrade from the cheapest they got - the mirage was supposed to be back at 11:40a for me to pick up at noon, but it wasn’t there.

I brought mine back early.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe87 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 pm Enterprise gave me a 2018 Nissan Sentra. Had a sport option. Doesn’t go fast. 🤷‍♀️ :confused:

I do have a complaint re: headlights! I do the dial for headlights and the light on the dash comes on. I ASSUMED MY HEADLIGHTS WERE ON. I was wrong. The orange lights were. There was no visual difference on my dash display between white headlights and orange lights.

It was push to start. Got to learn that. Out of habit tho I sit down and take off my keys from my belt. “Oh right” *puts them in purse*

Didn’t need my roadside assistance at all. The roads were not bad (96-696-m10), although Thursday between Howell MI and Southfield the westbound 696 was a stand still. Not my side. I did fine with traffic, lane changes, and keeping up in the left lane without any tickets!

epic winning. how was that there CVT?? i've heard they've gotten better over the past few years, even in the 4 cylinder models (V6 models always got the better CVTs, supposedly). no auto option for the headlights? eye ususally leave mine set to auto and forget it. usually, on models with the manual lights, the headlights are the option just past the parking lights. you probably had at least daytime lights on though (so others could see you, despite you knot sea ying them).
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

potownrob wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 am
wannabe87 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 pm Enterprise gave me a 2018 Nissan Sentra. Had a sport option. Doesn’t go fast. 🤷‍♀️ :confused:

epic winning. how was that there CVT?? i've heard they've gotten better over the past few years, even in the 4 cylinder models (V6 models always got the better CVTs, supposedly). no auto option for the headlights? eye ususally leave mine set to auto and forget it. usually, on models with the manual lights, the headlights are the option just past the parking lights. you probably had at least daytime lights on though (so others could see you, despite you knot sea ying them).
Maybe the orange lights are parking? Anyway...yeah I didn’t know that.

I don’t know what cvt is. I didn’t thankfully drive in the dark.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

A CVT is the transmission that your rental was equipped with. It is short for Continuously Variable Transmission and there are no set gear ratios. Its primary advantage is that, when done correctly, the transmission allows the engine to maintain an optimal speed for a given situation (acceleration, cruising, passing). An entire acceleration period can be done at a single RPM.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »