Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
A BUNCH OF PEOPLE ARE CIRCLING A FLAGPOLE, BUT SOMEONE HAS STOLEN THE FLAG

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:18 am $28k sounds like mid-level AWD trim for the Mazda3. IIRC the base price starts at $21k with FWD. They've dropped the 2.0 Sky-G and the 2.0 Sky-X is delayed for the USDM, leaving the 2.5 as the sole engine option. If the Mazda3 is still on your list, ambiguous based on your post, go in again and look at the options lists. Make sure there are no fripperies you don't need.
even priced high, this new mazda tree is gonna give the civic and other competition a run fore there mon knee. eye kinda like that they brought it out whiff jest the 2.5, which has decent power and torque while still getting reasonable mpgs. new 2.0 sky-X should be a game changer though. wonder if they'll offer it whiff the AWD. :?: :idea: :? 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:56 am
tankinbeans wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:18 am $28k sounds like mid-level AWD trim for the Mazda3. IIRC the base price starts at $21k with FWD. They've dropped the 2.0 Sky-G and the 2.0 Sky-X is delayed for the USDM, leaving the 2.5 as the sole engine option. If the Mazda3 is still on your list, ambiguous based on your post, go in again and look at the options lists. Make sure there are no fripperies you don't need.
even priced high, this new mazda tree is gonna give the civic and other competition a run fore there mon knee. eye kinda like that they brought it out whiff jest the 2.5, which has decent power and torque while still getting reasonable mpgs. new 2.0 sky-X should be a game changer though. wonder if they'll offer it whiff the AWD. :?: :idea: :? 8)
Ewe canned stop tie ping that whey, Ken Hugh?

Eye seam mie work S dun hear. Thyme two go inphect sum otter sight.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

I assume they had high end Mazda trees there and that’s the price you’re talking about. The lower trims I remember being priced much lower. After driving a cr-v this weekend (sister’s loaner car), I couldn’t imagine going for the hr-v. What about the cx-30 or 4 or
Whatever was going to be slotted between the cx-3 and cx-5??
That is my main issue with the 3-- the CX3 I enjoyed enough to consider it and it's essentially 4k less in FWD comparable trim level formatting. It's almost like they heard my center arm rest complaint and literally put one in the front rows and ONE IN THE BACK. The rear seat isn't great but the egress and ingress to get back there is actually really decent for an adult. I kind of feel like in Hyundai/Kia products it's the opposite- the rear seat space is decent but the shape of the doors make it so any sized adult would sigh getting in. I'm kind of confused at this 2.0L engine they are using in the CX3-- is this a detuned 2.0L that's from last gen 3? I could've sworn the last gen 3 was 155 hp? I actually like the trim spacings for the cx3 but think it's terrible for the newest gen 3... it's either all in or all out. Goldie lox is situated better in the CX3, FWD, and touring format.
Someone has definitely been looking into his Mazda's :). Nail on the head-- touring AWD hatch for 28k. Car can literally be 30k easily which is a bit absurd IMO for an NA 4 cylinder + 6 speed automatic that is 2.5 generations old and a rear torsion beam set up. I was a bit mysterious if I could continue going down this hole because truthfully I like the way the car looks, the paint choices are stunning, and the interior is above average but I think if I'm trying shed skin here going for a car that essentially was as much as mine in 2015 this would be the wrong direction to go.

I may be mistaken but did someone from around these parts have a Chevy Sonic?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:44 pm I may be mistaken but did someone from around these parts have a Chevy Sonic?
Tony had one and drove it until the wheels fell off because it was such a good car.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

The engine may be an older design, but it still works fantastically, in my opinion anyway. For Jeezy Ceezy's sake GM made the 3800 for nigh on 30 years and just made advancements to keep it relevant and those who frequent online fora refer to driving that engine as worshipping at the alter of torque.

A design's age shouldn't necessarily be a demerit. If anything the bugs have been worked out.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 pm Image
If anything the bugs have been worked out.
Fickset
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:44 pm
I assume they had high end Mazda trees there and that’s the price you’re talking about. The lower trims I remember being priced much lower. After driving a cr-v this weekend (sister’s loaner car), I couldn’t imagine going for the hr-v. What about the cx-30 or 4 or
Whatever was going to be slotted between the cx-3 and cx-5??
That is my main issue with the 3-- the CX3 I enjoyed enough to consider it and it's essentially 4k less in FWD comparable trim level formatting. It's almost like they heard my center arm rest complaint and literally put one in the front rows and ONE IN THE BACK. The rear seat isn't great but the egress and ingress to get back there is actually really decent for an adult. I kind of feel like in Hyundai/Kia products it's the opposite- the rear seat space is decent but the shape of the doors make it so any sized adult would sigh getting in. I'm kind of confused at this 2.0L engine they are using in the CX3-- is this a detuned 2.0L that's from last gen 3? I could've sworn the last gen 3 was 155 hp? I actually like the trim spacings for the cx3 but think it's terrible for the newest gen 3... it's either all in or all out. Goldie lox is situated better in the CX3, FWD, and touring format.
Someone has definitely been looking into his Mazda's :). Nail on the head-- touring AWD hatch for 28k. Car can literally be 30k easily which is a bit absurd IMO for an NA 4 cylinder + 6 speed automatic that is 2.5 generations old and a rear torsion beam set up. I was a bit mysterious if I could continue going down this hole because truthfully I like the way the car looks, the paint choices are stunning, and the interior is above average but I think if I'm trying shed skin here going for a car that essentially was as much as mine in 2015 this would be the wrong direction to go.

I may be mistaken but did someone from around these parts have a Chevy Sonic?
Tony and that troll from Atlanta had a Sonic. Troll seemed to like his, but he was coming from a fleet of ancient Fieros. Tony had nothing but trouble with his, and I’m not sure how his dog fit in it. Mazda CX-3 engine may have more low end torque than the 2 liter Mazda 3, which might explain lower HP numbers. WAY too tired and lazy to look it up now. On job number two at hotel (been up since 3pm) and have to work til 8am, then go back to other job at 16:30. Mazda CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2 (like the HR-V is based on the Fit), so it is smaller in many ways than the 3. No excuse for Honda to keep using that anemic vacuum motor in the HR-V though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, my sonic was a steaming pile of garbage, although some on the forums of the time didn’t seem to have nearly as many issues.

That said, Sonics have not fared well. I don’t see many on the road around here as there are far more corollas and other subcompacts of that vintage seemingly everywhere.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 pm The engine may be an older design, but it still works fantastically, in my opinion anyway. For Jeezy Ceezy's sake GM made the 3800 for nigh on 30 years and just made advancements to keep it relevant and those who frequent online fora refer to driving that engine as worshipping at the alter of torque.

A design's age shouldn't necessarily be a demerit. If anything the bugs have been worked out.
Agreed, I may actually venture out today to take a deeper dive. I feel like at face value I'm on the fence, price; I'm out of the game, but a positive drive could bring me back in.
Tony and that troll from Atlanta had a Sonic. Troll seemed to like his, but he was coming from a fleet of ancient Fieros. Tony had nothing but trouble with his, and I’m not sure how his dog fit in it. Mazda CX-3 engine may have more low end torque than the 2 liter Mazda 3, which might explain lower HP numbers. WAY too tired and lazy to look it up now. On job number two at hotel (been up since 3pm) and have to work til 8am, then go back to other job at 16:30. Mazda CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2 (like the HR-V is based on the Fit), so it is smaller in many ways than the 3. No excuse for Honda to keep using that anemic vacuum motor in the HR-V though.
I'm having trouble rationalizing what seems to be a 1-2k price increase on the Sonic-- not too sure what incentives or flex is being brought out on these. Also, having trouble from the "professional numbers" -- it seems like even though this engine is turbo, has significantly more torque then everything else, it seem yields 0-60 and 45-65 worse then the slew of N/A beaters. I'm thinking this thing has to be a piggy or transmission is garbage (or both).

Segwaying to the above I have a feeling what exactly will happen is I'll test drive a new gen 3 and a refreshed CX3 and not be able to rationalize the difference for the new gen 3. I've always liked the exterior and interior look of the CX3 and putting myself into where I would have the driver seat positioned to drive and then going into the rear I didn't think it was as bad as again the experts made it out to be... It wasn't spacious but it would've worked in a pinch.

I think Honda's engine in the HRV is based off the old ass Civic 1.8L NA that they haven't used in a few gens. Really not seeing an excuse not to put in a 1.5L turbo that they use in everything - in some format (albeit detuned). They could probably even throw the 1.5L turbo into the Fit and fancy up some handling upgrades and quickly have a Fit SI on their hands (no more fiesta ST - market is wide open).
Yeah, my sonic was a steaming pile of garbage, although some on the forums of the time didn’t seem to have nearly as many issues.

That said, Sonics have not fared well. I don’t see many on the road around here as there are far more corollas and other subcompacts of that vintage seemingly everywhere.
Sorry for bringing it up -- thought it was you though. My story of the Chevy Sonic was actually a positive one back in 2013 when I decided on my Forte lease- my dealership experiences with Chevy are typically positive. This and the Fit were really my rock bottom entries (very sufficient though coming from my 95' Corolla with 188k odo) but for Chevy it literally took the guy 15 minutes playing tetris in the parking lot to get a Chevy Sonic which was in the weeds (literally not even on pavement) to come out. When I drove it though I was pretty happy with it at the time (this was probably my first turbo car I actually drove technically). I really liked the motorcycle gauges and the infotainment unit was good for it's time -- this was probably a 2LT model (not sure the structuring now). Things that I couldn't get over though- putting in the key and turning the plastics around that area literally felt like fischer price and this was kind of where I discovered the taken for granted center arm rest. I don't understand when they mount the after thought arm rest on the seat what body frame they are modeling to- I am nearly 6 foot / 150 LBs and the arm rests from Nissan and Chevy are ALWAYS too high. If you were literally a female frame and under 5'5 the arm rest has to be above chest level...

I don't know Tony if you saw my life style change some pages back but to give you the tl;dr version I essentially am downgrading through the GTI and trying to rid the VW past 55k odometer as I drive A/B less then 15 miles a day (round trip) now. Essentially my next car will be a train car that will sit in a parking space getting door dinged and probably minor hits (hopefully minor) for 5 days a week. I still need the car with this being said to be able to "baby" within the next 3 years but it's basically relegated to secondary A to B duty. The biggest thing here is basically being able to start up at 0 degrees F and 100 F when asked upon, day in, day out.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Hey must have built the armrest in the Sonic for me. The one thing that did car have was good driver ergos.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork, don't forget to take into consideration the backseat room, if you ever plan to put a car seat back there. CX-3 backseat might be fine for a short ride with your buddies, but will it fit a carseat without the front passenger seat having to be pushed into the dashboard? That said, you can probably get a deal on a used one, along with a used (~2015 or older) CX-5, if you want the SUV/AWD thing (eye no eye dew). :)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:31 pm Hey must have built the armrest in the Sonic for me. The one thing that did car have was good driver ergos.
hopefully the new ride is treating you better overall. how's the wild steed holding up?? :twisted:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

To boost sedans, automakers use key feature from SUVs

"Owl-wheel-drive sedans used to be a niche market limited to park rangers and uptight snow-belt drivers. These days, they’re becoming a more popular choice for decidedly mainstream models.

The latest entrants to the all-wheel stable include the Mazda6, Nissan Altima and Toyota Prius. As sales of crossovers, sport utility vehicles and pickups have grown, automakers are equipping more of their sedans with all-wheel drive to hang onto buyers wanting more SUV-like features.

All-wheel or four-wheel drive is standard on most SUVs and trucks, helping to boost its availability to a record 63.4 percent of new vehicles sold last year, up from 56.4 percent a decade ago, according to data from Edmunds. Automakers are betting that by passing these powertrain variants on to passenger cars, they’ll be able to prop up their sagging sales."
https://www.autonews.com/marketing/boos ... ature-suvs
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Sum even halve jacked op ride heights end add venture trim end clad ding two app peel too the high riders...