Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

I liked the 300, mostly. The seats were a bit uncomfortable for me though even with the adjustable lumbar support. Resale on this is indeed garbage, so you could get one cheapish. Mileage is respectable out of the 3.6, I guess; once managed 27 out of it.

UConnect was nice when it worked. Usually connected pretty quickly, but would randomly decide to start buzzing at the top of its volume range. Shutting the car off wouldn't even reset the system and you had to wait it out. One time for about 3 miles, during rush hour. My dealer couldn't have given a fu-- less and so I lost confidence so I ditched it. Was once in for a week to have the issue addressed and I got it back with less functionality than I'd brought it in.

If Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are important to you, the Mazdas with MazdaConnect are now upgradeable for a fee. Works pretty well.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:04 pm I liked the 300, mostly. The seats were a bit uncomfortable for me though even with the adjustable lumbar support. Resale on this is indeed garbage, so you could get one cheapish. Mileage is respectable out of the 3.6, I guess; once managed 27 out of it.

UConnect was nice when it worked. Usually connected pretty quickly, but would randomly decide to start buzzing at the top of its volume range. Shutting the car off wouldn't even reset the system and you had to wait it out. One time for about 3 miles, during rush hour. My dealer couldn't have given a fu-- less and so I lost confidence so I ditched it. Was once in for a week to have the issue addressed and I got it back with less functionality than I'd brought it in.

If Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are important to you, the Mazdas with MazdaConnect are now upgradeable for a fee. Works pretty well.
First, I believe you're in the market for a Subaru Impreza/Crosstrek with a stick shift? When me and my wife were shopping around for her new lease we were actually presented a 2016 (it may of been 2015- memory hazy) Subaru Impreza "sport trim" with a 5 speed manual. Shocked this was available on the lot I took it for a test drive and didn't really like it too much but the price was pretty good for what you actually got. The clutch was probably the only thing that was "similar" to my GTI but I hated the stick and gearing. Had a ton of rev hang on normal upshifts and the gearbox itself was very odd IMO. I was the guy that considered the WRX the worst gear box choice out of the ST, GTI, and SI but this one seemed even worse to me. Not sure if the significant penalty in mileage is due to the gearing ratios or the missing a speed (or both). I dug the red gauges and instrument stuff but it looked pretty old. I believe it had heated seats in a physical button configuration but this car probably would've been a hard pass for me. I hope they've updated the manual trans working in newer years but if it's still the same carry over I'd probably even take the CVT smiling. Kind of difficult though finding AWD in a natural sense and stick these days I suppose though... What they are charging for the new wranglers which I guess would be the most comparable way to get that is pretty astronomical.

I forgot if you got the 300 used/new-- resale again being garbage probably helps me. 3.6L will be more then sufficient then what I'll need it for-- just want to make sure this is on 87 octane. Pretty dishearted by Uconnect having issues... I thought that may of been the reliable part of this. Not sure if you can speak on the function/reliability of AWD in this application as I'd probably try and go that route. I have some reliable sources that could assist me in getting a used/new FCA product and not take my shirt off with it. I also have a connection with Buick too so I'm kind of leaning on those routes if I go used.

I heard the Mazda infotainment is even "hackable" but it was described as a weak link by my friend who had a 3 year lease on a 2015 and traded up for a Fusion. It's crazy how none of these units seem to be ultimately reliable and functional yet this is the junk they are shoving in these things. What scares me the most is the dedicated buttons are disappearing for things like HVAC and radio so it's forcing the users hand to go through menu's that may freeze or not be the most responsive.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Thanks for the input on the Subaru. I'm going to see how I like it. The short drive I took in one a few years ago wasn't terrible, but that was a two mile loop on a freeway. Nothing much to find out there. At this point compiling the list of potential options is the difficult part as most manufacturers seem to think that he who wants a manual doesn't want AWD or a sunroof and/or heated seats. I will avoid CVTs as long as possible.

I got the 300 new. The AWD system is active any time the shifter is in S or the temperature is 35° or below. Shifts were fairly quick and the power was decent considering it's moving 4500 pounds of steel. Maybe my dealer was an outlier with the radio issues, but I lost my patience with their attempts to fix it. I know buzzing at top volume isn't necessarily a safety concern, but it's certainly a distraction. If you have hookups, though, you might have better luck. What really pushed me over the edge when I tried was their having it for a week and having to hound them for any information.

With regards to the Mazda infotainment system, the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay is now a dealer added option. They upgrade the software, update the hardware so the phone will actually charge when plugged in. In the 6 months since I updated mine it's worked pretty flawlessly aside from a couple hangups here and there (likely device related TBH). I had an LG that worked really well, but my Samsung sometimes doesn't play well. I have yet to try an Apple product in it, because I don't like them.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

We are currently dog sitting. No big deal, right? Wrong! Snow is a 90ish pound poorly trained pitbull. She's loud and doesn't understand personal space one bit. My 50 lb Wheaten with anxiety is currently also nursing a hurt leg so he's being an extra big bitch about everything. My 15 lb dimwitted Schnauzer doesn't comprehend that getting them both riled up is a Really Bad Idea.

Also the wife is sick during one of the busiest three weeks of the year for her, the cousin and baby in the attic don't like the dog, and I'm just no interested in any of this drama.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 pm Thanks for the input on the Subaru. I'm going to see how I like it. The short drive I took in one a few years ago wasn't terrible, but that was a two mile loop on a freeway. Nothing much to find out there. At this point compiling the list of potential options is the difficult part as most manufacturers seem to think that he who wants a manual doesn't want AWD or a sunroof and/or heated seats. I will avoid CVTs as long as possible.

I got the 300 new. The AWD system is active any time the shifter is in S or the temperature is 35° or below. Shifts were fairly quick and the power was decent considering it's moving 4500 pounds of steel. Maybe my dealer was an outlier with the radio issues, but I lost my patience with their attempts to fix it. I know buzzing at top volume isn't necessarily a safety concern, but it's certainly a distraction. If you have hookups, though, you might have better luck. What really pushed me over the edge when I tried was their having it for a week and having to hound them for any information.

With regards to the Mazda infotainment system, the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay is now a dealer added option. They upgrade the software, update the hardware so the phone will actually charge when plugged in. In the 6 months since I updated mine it's worked pretty flawlessly aside from a couple hangups here and there (likely device related TBH). I had an LG that worked really well, but my Samsung sometimes doesn't play well. I have yet to try an Apple product in it, because I don't like them.
Sounds good man I appreciate your weigh in since you've lived it. On a side note here which is probably meaningless I have openly said this on this forum but Subaru dealerships are the ABSOLUTE WORST on Long Island. It would honestly be difficult in it's own for me to consider the products just based on this alone. I feel like the reliability is a bit over-fabricated with them also-- my best friend's gf has a 2016 Forester with the base 2.5L and had some pretty major repairs in regards to the engine. The car has been far from bullet proof. I used to be really against CVT's but in the most recent applications that I've dealt they really don't bother me at all. I've driven the Corolla hatch CVT recently and it actually has a physical 1st gear and it's not like the droning messes of earlier years. Whenever I drive my wife's CVT 1.5L turbo the transmission feels like a perfect pairing for what the car is and needs to be. Very smooth power delivery and honestly at times in the low end- mucking around I nearly prefer it to the tall ass gearing in the GTI.

Interesting stuff with the 300... I've loved the look since Obama was president and thought with the redesign they did a good job evolving it. Interior doesn't seem fancy but robust enough and I feel like a large sedan would essentially have me safe for many years if I went the second hand route. There's no doubt in my mind that within 3 years I will have a kid so my next car will basically be starting ground for starting a family. The only application I've been in with the 3.6L + ZF trans is in a 2016 Challenger SXT. I actually thought the pairing was pretty adequate for such a heavy vehicle. It's not going to blow the doors off anything but I think my friend has been averaging 23-24 mpg which for a 4k curb weight isn't so bad.

I'm trying to make a list myself of what features I'd look for so I don't go backwards in the second hand market. I realistically think I can probably afford a vehicle in this class that's only 3-4 years old quite handily. So if I say 3-4 years old for these vehicles that pretty much translates 5-6 years old for Toyotas and Hondas... I am admitedly not a guy who utilizes blu tooth or syncing android/apple car play but I'm probably going to go that direction naturally. My wife on the other hand REQUIRED the capability for her iphone. It does have neat integration with Honda but it's got sticking points. Sometimes again the windows and menu's are slow to respond or just out right freeze... what makes it even more annoying is the HVAC controls are integrated into the infotainment. Her car is also plagued with the "no volume" knob which I know this probably sounds ridiculous but would be a near deal breaker for me. Again, we're so spoiled with the speed of computers and phones but these infotainment systems are not up to that level... or atleast I haven't met one that has proven me wrong. My GTI has MIB1 which is basically a bag of trash BUT the menu's are simple, essentially colorless, and have a limited amount of crap to go wrong.

I still utilize an ipod classic with a direct connection to the car. I'm afraid that cars won't be able to support this and I'll really be screwed. It's kind of funny because I figured the Ipod itself would've died before the technology becomes obsolete but I'm unsure now.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Do tell about some of the issues with the Bu. I've heard there are pretty common issues with the head gaskets failing, but other than that I've not heard much. Truth be told I never was very in the know about Subaru other than that they're one of the only mainstream brands where every model save the BR-Z is AWD. I lost much of my interest when everything went CVT aside from the Impreza and Crosstrek.

AHTOXA, I'd be curious about your thoughts. You had a Forester for awhile IIRC. Are there general Subaru issues to watch out for?

This may get me thrown out of the club, but I might widen the criteria and say that manual isn't necessary, but that AWD is. That way I might be able to get the other things I like such as heated seats and sunroof. Caveat being I want an automatic (DSG, DCT or torque convertor). That would put the new Mazda3 squarely in my sights. Plus side of that, they're built in Japan again.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:09 pm We are currently dog sitting. No big deal, right? Wrong! Snow is a 90ish pound poorly trained pitbull. She's loud and doesn't understand personal space one bit. My 50 lb Wheaten with anxiety is currently also nursing a hurt leg so he's being an extra big bitch about everything. My 15 lb dimwitted Schnauzer doesn't comprehend that getting them both riled up is a Really Bad Idea.

Also the wife is sick during one of the busiest three weeks of the year for her, the cousin and baby in the attic don't like the dog, and I'm just no interested in any of this drama.
...and on top of all that VW is having issues with their new Golf and will be delaying the introduction until almost a year from now. Electronics - who would have thought they can be so complicated?
https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... o-readmore
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Fun time, but my ears are still ringing from the Kiss concert at Little Caesar's Arena. I've been to louder concerts, where my eardrums went into resonance and it was not really hearing but a physical vibration sensation, but tonights was loud enough I guess. LCA is a nice venue. We ate at Kid Rock Cafe...I guess they don't want you to get drunk, because the 16 oz draft Bells Two-Hearted was $16. My Memphis Hot Chicken sammich mit der chenerous portion of Freedom Fries was very good and cheaper than the beer. We had no troubles or delays going there or coming home afterward. Glad I backed into my parking spot in the structure. The guy playing the drums looked like a cat, but it was really just makeup painted on his face. The Demon guy REALLY was a demon.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:20 pm First, I believe you're in the market for a Subaru Impreza/Crosstrek with a stick shift? When me and my wife were shopping around for her new lease we were actually presented a 2016 (it may of been 2015- memory hazy) Subaru Impreza "sport trim" with a 5 speed manual. Shocked this was available on the lot I took it for a test drive and didn't really like it too much but the price was pretty good for what you actually got. The clutch was probably the only thing that was "similar" to my GTI but I hated the stick and gearing. Had a ton of rev hang on normal upshifts and the gearbox itself was very odd IMO. I was the guy that considered the WRX the worst gear box choice out of the ST, GTI, and SI but this one seemed even worse to me. Not sure if the significant penalty in mileage is due to the gearing ratios or the missing a speed (or both). I dug the red gauges and instrument stuff but it looked pretty old. I believe it had heated seats in a physical button configuration but this car probably would've been a hard pass for me. I hope they've updated the manual trans working in newer years but if it's still the same carry over I'd probably even take the CVT smiling. Kind of difficult though finding AWD in a natural sense and stick these days I suppose though... What they are charging for the new wranglers which I guess would be the most comparable way to get that is pretty astronomical.
if it was 2015 or 2016, that was the last gen impreza, and was probably a sport premium model. definitely nicer than the regular premium impreza but not said to be as nice as the newer sport model. they used to have a sport limited trim level too, with leather seats. no manuel though...
I forgot if you got the 300 used/new-- resale again being garbage probably helps me. 3.6L will be more then sufficient then what I'll need it for-- just want to make sure this is on 87 octane. Pretty dishearted by Uconnect having issues... I thought that may of been the reliable part of this. Not sure if you can speak on the function/reliability of AWD in this application as I'd probably try and go that route. I have some reliable sources that could assist me in getting a used/new FCA product and not take my shirt off with it. I also have a connection with Buick too so I'm kind of leaning on those routes if I go used.
buick connection, eh?? might fancy me a newer lacrosse landyacht, or maybe a regal. AWD models seem out of reach price wise though...
I heard the Mazda infotainment is even "hackable" but it was described as a weak link by my friend who had a 3 year lease on a 2015 and traded up for a Fusion. It's crazy how none of these units seem to be ultimately reliable and functional yet this is the junk they are shoving in these things. What scares me the most is the dedicated buttons are disappearing for things like HVAC and radio so it's forcing the users hand to go through menu's that may freeze or not be the most responsive.
yeah, i'd rather deal with the VW or Subaru manual HVAC than the touch screen interface. honda seems to have gotten it right or closer to right on some models, like my sister's '18 accord, well when it works right at least (hybrid...). '16 golf infotainment interface getting a little old; looks like they've updated it on newer models though, along with newer subarus...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I can't speak to the infotainment in the 2015 Mazdas as that was updated either with the 2016 or 2017 model. The current one seems fairly robust, if a bit slow on to load when first starting the car.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 pm Do tell about some of the issues with the Bu. I've heard there are pretty common issues with the head gaskets failing, but other than that I've not heard much. Truth be told I never was very in the know about Subaru other than that they're one of the only mainstream brands where every model save the BR-Z is AWD. I lost much of my interest when everything went CVT aside from the Impreza and Crosstrek.

AHTOXA, I'd be curious about your thoughts. You had a Forester for awhile IIRC. Are there general Subaru issues to watch out for?

This may get me thrown out of the club, but I might widen the criteria and say that manual isn't necessary, but that AWD is. That way I might be able to get the other things I like such as heated seats and sunroof. Caveat being I want an automatic (DSG, DCT or torque convertor). That would put the new Mazda3 squarely in my sights. Plus side of that, they're built in Japan again.
Pretty much you seem like you already know. In her 3 year lease she's experienced engine coolant issues which were cited by a "head gasket failure" and on intermittently random times excessive oil usage. The engine will basically just gulp oil for no reason. She is a nurse and again her boyfriend (my best friend) is a car guy so I doubt this car hasn't been well cared for. It was a top end model before you got into the 2.0L XT models (rip) so many bells and whistles.

Again my sales experiences with Subaru have always been negative out of 3 different dealerships on the island. I associate them most comparably to Mazda as you learn quickly this is a "micro Japanese" unit versus the big boys of Nissan/Toyota/Honda. What this means essentially if you can't find something within a dealer network or are looking for something obscure (aka Manual) you may need to wait for the vehicle to be built. I did it for my WRX and then had the "privilege" for the sales person to pull a bait and switch on me. Near textbook execution-- what I agreed to wait for (in writing) was a very particular 2015 model WRX; it was essentially a base model with specific options that I wanted from the getgo. Memory is hazy again but I believe I waited 7 months to essentially be told that "my car" now turned into a 2016 model, the price that was originally negotiated for was void, and the options that I wanted weren't available on a 2016... And that is literally how I ended up with my GTI. Can't even begin to explain how hard I was also attempted to be pushed into the CVT WRX with multiple sales people stating "stick is dead". With Mazda and VW they seemed genuinely excited I was even considering stick.

I don't really know too much about the 2.0L boxer except from the gist I get from car reviews which basically say the engine is a bit of a dog. They sell Crosstreks like mad in NY... I feel like they honestly have cannibalized Forester sales. The older models (speaking on like early/mid 2000s) def rusted to death in a state like NY. If I still see those on the road they are usually rust buckets.

Mazda 3 and Mazda in general seems like the one that has gotten away. I probably should have owned one by now but they just didn't do enough to seal the deal. Sales experiences here are very easy going-- the dealership local to me will literally let customers test drive the cars with no supervision. They will toss you the keys and say to be back in 30 minutes. I've literally driven 2 generations of 3's to my parents house (at the time) and back. When I got my KIA forte I leveraged a decent offer from Mazda for KIA to counter offer and they did successfully. When I was looking in the class of GTI/ST/SI/WRX I just didn't think the Mazda 3 had enough oomph for what I wanted. I think the price is starting to get ridiculous to what they are asking for especially omitting the IRS for twist beam. The 2.5L is still old and hardly an excuse for a 21k starting base price.
buick connection, eh?? might fancy me a newer lacrosse landyacht, or maybe a regal. AWD models seem out of reach price wise though...
I'd probably skip the AWD but would like to stay in the v6 Lacrosse. I never hear anything about the regal but the sportback / wagon both look really nice.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Starting to vaguely consider a WRX even if I don't necessarily need the power. Going to see what the wonk says and see what's what.

If the only real compromise is more power, then I'll deal it.

Finances aren't positioned correctly right now. Will continue thinking on't.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm Starting to vaguely consider a WRX even if I don't necessarily need the power. Going to see what the wonk says and see what's what.

If the only real compromise is more power, then I'll deal it.

Finances aren't positioned correctly right now. Will continue thinking on't.
I would probably pass on that at this point-- I think the package in it's current state now is quite outdated/overpriced IMO (new). I know you mentioned sunroof / heated seats as viable options-- that would automatically require you to go "premium trim" with all weather package- looking atleast 30k. The interior was dated in 2015.. it's probably extremely stale now for a 30k car. Also, not sure your views on 91 octane but not recommended-- it's required.

My wife turned the civic hatchback in for warranty work and got an '18 Accord LX loaner. Very pleasantly impressed with this thing at a 23.5k base tag. This thing rivals the size of my VW Passat loaner that I got really acquainted with for a month :evil: but it drives much better. Exterior looks might be it's worst part but I'd hardly call it offensive. I have the passenger seat all the way back in it's track and it literally feels like I'm sitting in the middle of the car. My 5'9 frame can't even toe the firewall from how far back it is. NVH and overall cabin refinement from compact/mid-size is still a noticeable difference to me. This car even felt like a tank compared to my GTI which I would say defies the above statement a bit. Base engine is a sweet heart would love to see what kind of mileage this returns me. This experience may definitely sway me going used or even ponying up for a lease in this segment. Car is rated to get better gas mileage then my 2500 LB 95 Corolla...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

The one I looked at was $28k and by the time I'm ready do really look there should be a new generation. Still open to options given the considerations I've placed upon what I want. The money doesn't work for me right now in any case. This timeline also gives Mazda a chance to officially release the CX-30 and to indicate how it'd be packaged. Honestly, I prefer Mazda for their relative simplicity, but searching around is always wise.

Eventually I'll need to sh-- or get off the pot, but I'll continue allowing my legs to go numb.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am The one I looked at was $28k and by the time I'm ready do really look there should be a new generation. Still open to options given the considerations I've placed upon what I want. The money doesn't work for me right now in any case. This timeline also gives Mazda a chance to officially release the CX-30 and to indicate how it'd be packaged. Honestly, I prefer Mazda for their relative simplicity, but searching around is always wise.

Eventually I'll need to sh-- or get off the pot, but I'll continue allowing my legs to go numb.
Think the new gen will be really pivotal for this brand. Competition wise they lost the ST but probably now replaced with the Hyundai N line to some capacity but I literally have no qualms about foregoing the AWD for the FWD GTI. The refinement, feature set, and build quality was night and day and honestly my BASE WRX with very few options like fog lamps was close to 28k (it didn't even have a touch screen anything at this point). Stick felt like it was rowing a plastic spoon through wet cement and the clutch take up was pretty tricky. The models in the 2015/2016 year only came with summer tires standard so it would've been pretty much useless in the winter without running a 2nd set. The problem is while the "sport premium" trim with the 5 speed did have good features I did not like anything about that manual experience at all. I never truly got it up to highway speeds (NY edition) either but I'm sure that 5 speed wasn't going to bode well.

@ That under 25k new though options are definitely going to be limited. I'd say 30k for the WRX. After that you'd either have to look at Golf R / STI (RIP FOCUS RS) or start looking at obscure Mini ALL 4 models. Def a pretty tough want here...

Mazda marketing seems too sketchy with the 3. Basically if you want stick you need a high end 28k model-- if you want AWD you can't get stick, if you want AWD you need the hatch. This car needs a flow chart of fork roads just to see if it could be considered... I'm scared for the future of the 6 but would just be happy to see it just be offered. Didn't realize how endangered sedans have become and it's odd because they are probably at their best.

Maybe I'll just force my wife to learn the 3 pedal dance and get an Accord and keep it for life as it'll most likely be last of an era.