Just a couple of cars I saw lately

All things photo, moving or not.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Re: Just a couple of cars I saw lately

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I saw one of these coming down a street in my neighborhood today. I didn't even know it existed. It's kind of cool looking I guess.

Tesla Model X
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

noob5,000,000 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:13 am I saw one of these coming down a street in my neighborhood today. I didn't even know it existed. It's kind of cool looking I guess.

Tesla Model X
am eye the only won who finds it odd, pretentious and distasteful that they couldn't/wouldn't even put a fake grill on that thing, nor the other Teslas eye've scene at least late lee?? :?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I like it. It's super clean and smooth.

I'm sick of gaping, toothy, industrial, gratuitous grills.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've seen a number of them and find them obnoxious. Then again familiarity breeds contempt. I currently work 2 miles from a showroom.

I agree the lack of a grill is disconcerting. It looks like it belongs more in the movie Cars.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:44 am I like it. It's super clean and smooth.

I'm sick of gaping, toothy, industrial, gratuitous grills.
it doesn't need an ugly over the top toyota style grill, just something more than it has. it looks like it's missing parts up front.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Either put something that breaks up the flat section or eliminate it entirely. That treatment is awkward.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Never mind the forward face. The whole vehicle is just unpleasant to look at.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Back when I was a lad, the Franklin Automobile Company decided to change the look of their cars. They were air-cooled, but they styled them to look like they were sporting radiators, so they wouldn't be lookin' like wierdos.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I just saw what looked to be a mid-60s era Newport qith the 'normous fins and the 45° slanted stacked headlights. It was kind of a salmon orange.

I liked it.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Just saw a beautifully restored 60s GM pick-up, but no photo. I left as soon as I saw that the column shifter was just sitting there uselessly while a "sporty" PRNDL set-up was on the floor between the seats, and the third pedal had been removed. That is despicable! Turning a perfectly good manual transmission vehicle into an auto should be against the law!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:13 pm Just saw a beautifully restored 60s GM pick-up, but no photo. I left as soon as I saw that the column shifter was just sitting there uselessly while a "sporty" PRNDL set-up was on the floor between the seats, and the third pedal had been removed. That is despicable! Turning a perfectly good manual transmission vehicle into an auto should be against the law!
I half-heartedly toyed with the idea of a auto to manual conversion with my 98 Blazer (ala Cow's Buick whose torso was formerly stolen from an S-10 and whose torso is now stolen from a T5 equipped something or other), but knew the funds weren't there nor was the required expertise and patience. Would have been fun.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:13 pmJust saw a beautifully restored 60s GM pick-up, but no photo. I left as soon as I saw that the column shifter was just sitting there uselessly while a "sporty" PRNDL set-up was on the floor between the seats, and the third pedal had been removed. That is despicable! Turning a perfectly good manual transmission vehicle into an auto should be against the law!
...and totally bass-ackwards with regards to shifter location!
tankinbeans wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:45 pmI half-heartedly toyed with the idea of a auto to manual conversion with my 98 Blazer (ala Cow's Buick whose torso was formerly stolen from an S-10 and whose torso is now stolen from a T5 equipped something or other)

Excellent memory! Second T5 donor is a Chevy Astro.
but knew the funds weren't there nor was the required expertise and patience. Would have been fun.
Would be a totally simple job, probably almost 100% bolt-on with all OEM parts and engineering from S10. Probably still best to buy a donor vehicle if you have the sort of yard where you can get away with that sort of thing.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

we towed a 59 deville, purple the other day. i told my driver i needed pics. i have pics, on my phone. i'll have to figure out uploading.

it was in detroit tho...early december. no snow.

very clean car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe87 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:57 am we towed a 59 deville, purple the other day. i told my driver i needed pics. i have pics, on my phone. i'll have to figure out uploading.

it was in detroit tho...early december. no snow.

very clean car.
Did it look like a '61 Deville?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »