First Time Manual Driver - 3 Month Update

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: First Time Manual Driver - 3 Month Update

Post by tankinbeans »

80-85 mph speedo = true #doublenickle
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:The horizontal speedo didn't seem like a terrible concept but didn't they only go up to 80-85 mph?
Most speedometers back then only went up to 80-85mph, regardless of layout. My Deville couldn't really go much faster than that anyway, though the digital readout sometimes said I got up to 100 (which I doubted).

Here's the round one in my Buick:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

My 91 LeSabre had the hor speedo. The car topped out at 90.

With 160 horsepressures it was a bit slow.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:I wouldn't mind owning a car like the one Cow or PoPo posted with the oldsmobile 98. I would definitely prefer the front bench to be cloth though... the only experience I have with a front bench is in the 1990 Taurus and that was literally the best thing (and only thing) that was really great about that car. The horizontal speedo didn't seem like a terrible concept but didn't they only go up to 80-85 mph?
poppa popo's 86 olds 98 was uber comfy. too bad those cars are almost nonexistent these days. we like to think they all went to mexico where they became taxicabs. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:My 91 LeSabre had the hor speedo. The car topped out at 90.

i think dad's 98 put out around 140 horses and maybe 160 foot pounds with it's 3.8 litre. dad always said it was quick, but this was in the late 80s and early 90s when most cars were slow. he later had a 90 or 91 riviera that was definitely quicker (though it was surely slow compared to many cars today). the sound of that 3.8 was intoxicating. :D 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

potownrob wrote:

i think dad's 98 put out around 140 horses and maybe 160 foot pounds with it's 3.8 litre. dad always said it was quick, but this was in the late 80s and early 90s when most cars were slow. he later had a 90 or 91 riviera that was definitely quicker (though it was surely slow compared to many cars today). the sound of that 3.8 was intoxicating. :D 8)
edit: can't stop drooling over that olds 98 dash and interior. too bad i am not keen to owning a 30 year old car (if i can find one)... http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside ... l-subject/
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:

The '87 Deville and '80 Buick both had/have 4.1L engines making 125hp and ~225ft-lbs. The Buick is a carbureted V6 completely devoid of computers (not even the computer-controlled carburetors that were common in the 80s) while the Caddy was a primitive digital throttle body injected V8 that did produce more usable power...though that car was heavier (3500 vs. >4000 lbs curb weight). Neither one would qualify as "fast" by today's standards but they were reasonably quick for their time, and grunty for having so few horsies.

The late 80s and early 90s legal/social climate was all about fuel economy and emissions, before technology caught up with such laws/trends. Some of the best fuel economy ever was from that era (despite technological shortcomings), when fuel was incredibly cheap (but people still remembered the fuel crises from the late 70s). When I had the Caddy in the mid/late 90s gas was under a buck a gallon and the economy was booming and I was basically able to treat fuel like it was free.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD