Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by wannabe »

Teamwork wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Al-ooo-min-yum shift knobs, plus heat, plus direct sunlight = ouchypoo
Not when you put a sock/wristband over it. I actually learned from Mr. Type S that he puts a sock over his shift knob every time he parks and so do I. I did it more or less when I was beginning so I would remember when I got back into the car that my car was in gear.
winter gloves. the stretchy dollar store "one size fits all" knit kind. I put those over my shifter.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:In other news and I wanted to keep this post separated... Something weird happened with one of my former employers. They essentially gave me a direct deposit of $600 odd dollars two a Friday back. I got contacted by HR about it 4 days after it hit my account and was approached by a clueless representative who basically demanded the money back. Not so sure why they were being so pushy right out of the gate since I wasn't showing much resistance but just wanting to know what happened and why it took so long for someone to reach out to me. Got company minded BS vague responses and it was deemed a "glitch in the system". Anyway she said it would be reverse debited out of my direct deposit and could take 48 hours to process. It's literally been over a week now and the money is still there... I'm getting antsy about it.

What would you do? I could really use the extra cash but I don't want 4 weeks to pass and they randomly debit 6 bones out of my account.
that sucks bro. I'd probably pull my hair out (if eye had any) stressing over this.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Just cut off some of Galadriel's cancerous tubers and painted over with rustoleum. I also changed her oil.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:cancerous tubers
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:noncancerous tubers
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

potownrob wrote:
Teamwork wrote:In other news and I wanted to keep this post separated... Something weird happened with one of my former employers. They essentially gave me a direct deposit of $600 odd dollars two a Friday back. I got contacted by HR about it 4 days after it hit my account and was approached by a clueless representative who basically demanded the money back. Not so sure why they were being so pushy right out of the gate since I wasn't showing much resistance but just wanting to know what happened and why it took so long for someone to reach out to me. Got company minded BS vague responses and it was deemed a "glitch in the system". Anyway she said it would be reverse debited out of my direct deposit and could take 48 hours to process. It's literally been over a week now and the money is still there... I'm getting antsy about it.

What would you do? I could really use the extra cash but I don't want 4 weeks to pass and they randomly debit 6 bones out of my account.
that sucks bro. I'd probably pull my hair out (if eye had any) stressing over this.
on 2nd thought (thought of this last night but too tired to post), if/when you have a fundage surplus, you could take out the 6 bones (or more) to have on hand, in case they pull it out and you run short. it's also good to have some money outta the bank, you know?? 8) :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

wannabe wrote:
Teamwork wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Al-ooo-min-yum shift knobs, plus heat, plus direct sunlight = ouchypoo
Not when you put a sock/wristband over it. I actually learned from Mr. Type S that he puts a sock over his shift knob every time he parks and so do I. I did it more or less when I was beginning so I would remember when I got back into the car that my car was in gear.
winter gloves. the stretchy dollar store "one size fits all" knit kind. I put those over my shifter.
That sounds like another decent idea. I mean I'm sure del-rin is great but is it great enough for a marginal premium in cost? One of the reasons why I'm weighing (no pun) on switching besides weight is because I want something that feels substantial and hefty in my palm as opposed to stock's hollow plastic. Again, I have been referred to using a baby sock and basically pulling it over the knob. I'm sure my stock knob won't conduct as much heat as something metallic but I don't see why the sock wouldn't work.
on 2nd thought (thought of this last night but too tired to post), if/when you have a fundage surplus, you could take out the 6 bones (or more) to have on hand, in case they pull it out and you run short. it's also good to have some money outta the bank, you know?? 8) :mrgreen:
That is spot on how I'm playing it. Trying to turn an uncertain disappointment, into a positive. 6 bones won't make or break me but I don't want to swing a ton of money out of my account (combo'ing with what I take out normally + that) without my knowledge haha. Truth is I could really use the extra cash even though again it's not going to make or break- it'd just be nice. I'm paying off currently a hospital bill of about $3,200 for when I was in-housed with pancreatitis (apparently when tissues are billed at $10 - should I be surprised?). I also booked my first vacation to Disney world in November (I haven't been on vacation in over 8 years).

Blessing maybe in disguise but I'm kind of turned off from going any further into moding my car because of my A/C woes. It needs to get fixed. I'm sure I'll be ranting about this a lot in the next few weeks. I have documented multiple occasions now with it not working/and working. I caught it at it's worst on Saturday... was 95 degrees outside ambient and blowing with the thermometer inside the vent at "MAX A/C", fan speed 4, and recirculation on 35.8 Celsius which is 96.44 F. I don't know if I'm intentionally going to have to get heat stroke for VWOA to make a move but at this point- it feels close. Yet when it's caught working on the same variables... (the only thing changing obviously is ambient temperature but never more then 10 degrees) the A/C blows out at 52-53 degrees F. This is sick.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

I spoke with a representative from VWOA last night in regards to my issue. They remained neutral with a slight bias to accommodating but pretty much said I would need to take my car into a certified service center and have the results of the diagnosis sent directly to them for evaluation. For whatever it's worth I have an active ticket in an investigation from them. I couldn't help but feel passive aggressive in the manner. I literally gave them specific dates and receipts to all of my unscheduled service visits for this issue and I told them that I have video footage documenting the issue when it's working/non-working which they seemed indifferent about.

This isn't a consistent issue and by definition I would say it is intermittent. At the same time I don't know how happy or satisfied one could be that there 1 year old vehicle with less then 12k on the odometer has it's A/C absolutely non functioning 1-2 times a week in the heart of August in NY...

In other news that "free money" from my former employee still hasn't been debited out of my account. If it's still there by Friday I'd say it's fair game (it would be over 2.5 weeks at that point).
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:I spoke with a representative from VWOA last night in regards to my issue. They remained neutral with a slight bias to accommodating but pretty much said I would need to take my car into a certified service center and have the results of the diagnosis sent directly to them for evaluation. For whatever it's worth I have an active ticket in an investigation from them. I couldn't help but feel passive aggressive in the manner. I literally gave them specific dates and receipts to all of my unscheduled service visits for this issue and I told them that I have video footage documenting the issue when it's working/non-working which they seemed indifferent about.

This isn't a consistent issue and by definition I would say it is intermittent. At the same time I don't know how happy or satisfied one could be that there 1 year old vehicle with less then 12k on the odometer has it's A/C absolutely non functioning 1-2 times a week in the heart of August in NY...

In other news that "free money" from my former employee still hasn't been debited out of my account. If it's still there by Friday I'd say it's fair game (it would be over 2.5 weeks at that point).
lets hope they help you through this. No a/c is not cool. As for my EPiC light issue, the light hasn't come back on again since the 2nd light last Tuesday night. I filled her up with gas the next day and opened the oil cap while I was at it. ~300 miles later, still no more light. I filled her with 89 last night. I can swear there's an improvement in mpgs with higher octane. Not sure why they even recommend regular for this car, other than for marketing purposes.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:
Teamwork wrote:I spoke with a representative from VWOA last night in regards to my issue. They remained neutral with a slight bias to accommodating but pretty much said I would need to take my car into a certified service center and have the results of the diagnosis sent directly to them for evaluation. For whatever it's worth I have an active ticket in an investigation from them. I couldn't help but feel passive aggressive in the manner. I literally gave them specific dates and receipts to all of my unscheduled service visits for this issue and I told them that I have video footage documenting the issue when it's working/non-working which they seemed indifferent about.

lets hope they help you through this. No a/c is not cool. As for my EPiC light issue, the light hasn't come back on again since the 2nd light last Tuesday night. I filled her up with gas the next day and opened the oil cap while I was at it. ~300 miles later, still no more light. I filled her with 89 last night. I can swear there's an improvement in mpgs with higher octane. Not sure why they even recommend regular for this car, other than for marketing purposes.
You answered your own question baby. It blows my mind that people complained about not being able to use 87 octane in the 2.0L TSI but apparently enough people complained that they made alterations so it can now 2016+ (at a disclosed power/mpg drop). The huge sell for me in this car aside from the obvious is the MPG which is bizarre to me. My best tanks on mostly highway with me still ripping on digs and entrance ramps is 33-34 mpg. My average since my first oil change and break in period has been 27-28 mpg without any real hypermiling tricks and driving the car the way I want (Also remember my commutes are crawls now with a ton of 0 mph idling on highways). Combine this without the qwirkyness of the fuel gauge and range inducing anxiety... I mean you could probably see 350 miles a tank easily, at least.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

In my old Saab it was cheaper for me to run 93 rather than 87 octane. The fuel economy change was that significant. Granted I can only run 93 in my Viggen, but I stopped caring much about MPG quite a few years ago.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

re: the free money

Is it maybe built up from like vacation time or whatever....sometimes they pay you for what you haven't used? idk.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

wannabe wrote:re: the free money

Is it maybe built up from like vacation time or whatever....sometimes they pay you for what you haven't used? idk.
What she said...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

wannabe wrote:re: the free money

Negative. I already obtained that... and I was reached out by HR that this was a known glitch in the system type of deal. For some reason... it paid out about 20 employees who left the company in 2016 about the equivalent of 20 hours of pay. I left this company on good terms, doing the right ways of exiting. I would be a little disgruntled at this point if they took it back since it was teased for so long after they told me the process would take 48 hours at the most (nearly 2 weeks ago now). I could really use the extra cash since my hospital bills came back to me now...

I guess 3 grand isn't so bad... (compared to 21 grand if I had no insurance)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:
Teamwork wrote:
Wannabe, Wannabe, Wannabe, hominy thymes do we half two resplane this too ewe?.....Teamwork was being rude!
He didn't literally mean you should put a sock on your shift knob. It's just an example of English idiom.

Don't take it personally - he prolly just ate a burnt sock for breakfast or sumpin and got aggitated.
Last edited by Rope-Pusher on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"