Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:In unrelated to car things does anyone here play Golf? Starting to migrate it into a hobby.. and would appreciate any pointers and tips! Seems very intimidating for newbies... :shock:
i drive a golf; is that the same thing?? :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:
Teamwork wrote: [...]
-I've never heard of an E-brake chime in any vehicle of ever experienced. I pull up the e-brake in my automatics too. I'm not a fan of the button/electronic ones but I don't really have too much experience with them though my mothers Azera has it. I like the direct line of sight of whether seeing the lever is up or down.

- A little fun (or not so fun fact) about the MK7 generation of the Golf. The cable underneath the car for the emergency brake is highly visible and just "hanging out there". It's an afterthought for the NA vehicles because the rest of the world got an electronic button E-brake.
i think my sister's '11 accord has a chime or beep for the ebrake, but it doesn't go off til you've been driving for at least 20 seconds if not much longer. I don't remember if the '15 accord had one. As for th Golf e-brake - definitely an afterthought. Lever is vague as hell and not even sure if it's holding well. Beats the maxima though. Also prefer this over electronic so I can turn off the DRLs and still move around at night.
I also find that to be true also... it's kind of weird it doesn't feel like the lever is actually attached to anything. Like whether I rip it up hard or easy... it's basically all the same. Sometimes I feel like I don't pull it up enough so I'll literally re-do it for peace of mind. One of the first things I asked about was that sagging cable underneath the car... no clips broken and it's deemed the same on all of them. It honestly looks like it was randomly just placed there, sagging.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It sounds like something that would be easily improved by taking up the slack, whether by adding an idler, shortening the cable, increasing the pulley size on the lever, etc. I can't imagine that that much slack has any functional purpose, or that there would be anything to lose by attempting such improvements.

If it's not holding (easily enough tested, stop on various hills and try it) then there's even less at stake and more to gain.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:It sounds like something that would be easily improved by taking up the slack, whether by adding an idler, shortening the cable, increasing the pulley size on the lever, etc. I can't imagine that that much slack has any functional purpose, or that there would be anything to lose by attempting such improvements.

If it's not holding (easily enough tested, stop on various hills and try it) then there's even less at stake and more to gain.
i think mine holds fine (haven't really tested it though on steep hills), it's just vague and feels like a rubber band instead of a cable. let's hope it's not already stretched out.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

EPC light came on tonight on car. Car started shaking like it was falling apart, then stopped. Pulled over and restarted car, no more EPC light or stuttering in the 30 miles since. :|

Thread about EPC light: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ht-came-on
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:EPC light came on tonight on car. Car started shaking like it was falling apart, then stopped. Pulled over and restarted car, no more EPC light or stuttering in the 30 miles since. :|

Throttle body issue perhaps? Do you have anything to pull the code with?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote:EPC light came on tonight on car. Car started shaking like it was falling apart, then stopped. Pulled over and restarted car, no more EPC light or stuttering in the 30 miles since. :|

Throttle body issue perhaps? Do you have anything to pull the code with?
no code puller here. Too busy to take it in to be looked at; hoping it was a false alarm. will probably wait to see if it happens again.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

potownrob wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
watkins wrote: Image
Even if its not long term I still just need the change.
Fickset
:lol:

Cannot picture Watkins working at a coffee shop, be it Dunkin', Starbucks or an independent shop in some hippie town (that sounds like fun though). I assume he got another mechanic/tech job though.
Ive done Dunks and an on-campus Starbucks in the past.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Teamwork wrote:In unrelated to car things does anyone here play Golf? Starting to migrate it into a hobby.. and would appreciate any pointers and tips! Seems very intimidating for newbies... :shock:
Don't hit anyone with your club.
Don't swing it like Happy Gilmore.
There are certain clubs for certain shots. I don't know them. Chip? there's a putter!

golf is also a card game. :D

There are also prank golf balls, we got dad some one year for christmas, back when he could play golf (he can't anymore, plus there's no time/money). Some would disappear, turn into an elephant, whatever. I don't think he actually used them tho...He also used to collect golf balls like people collect pins or buttons or spoons or whatever. Pebble beach, the smithsonian, etc back in the 90s/00s would make golf balls with their logo/symbol/picture on it and he had a display hidden away for it...never had a home office to display it in :P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

tankinbeans wrote:I don't personally do it, but I've heard of it before. Did this happy lady have a keyless ignition? Many of those require a step on tje brake before they'll start.
probably.

also our triage/dispatch doesn't have an option for "hybrid system failure". I get to put it under "engine failure, other" and type in the empty space that the hybrid sys failed and you need skates to get it on a flat bed because it is *all* locked up...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:
Don't hit anyone with your club.
Don't swing it like Happy Gilmore.
There are certain clubs for certain shots. I don't know them. Chip? there's a putter!

golf is also a card game. :D

There are also prank golf balls, we got dad some one year for christmas, back when he could play golf (he can't anymore, plus there's no time/money). Some would disappear, turn into an elephant, whatever. I don't think he actually used them tho...He also used to collect golf balls like people collect pins or buttons or spoons or whatever. Pebble beach, the smithsonian, etc back in the 90s/00s would make golf balls with their logo/symbol/picture on it and he had a display hidden away for it...never had a home office to display it in :P
Once, I was gifted with a half-dozen golf balls from some supplier, imprinted with the company name. I gave them to my brother, the gopher, and on his next golf outing , he promptly lost them in a lake while he played on a desert course (Phoenix, AZ). He swears he rarely hits them into the water when playing in greener places.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:
potownrob wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote: Fickset
:lol:

Cannot picture Watkins working at a coffee shop, be it Dunkin', Starbucks or an independent shop in some hippie town (that sounds like fun though). I assume he got another mechanic/tech job though.
Ive done Dunks and an on-campus Starbucks in the past.
did you enjoy it though?? how long did you last??
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

EPC light came on again tonight. :shock: Service appointment scheduled with dealer Friday morning. 8)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:EPC light came on again tonight. :shock: Service appointment scheduled with dealer Friday morning. 8)
It's just telling you that your driving is epic!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:EPC light came on again tonight. :shock: Service appointment scheduled with dealer Friday morning. 8)
It's just telling you that your driving is epic!
pretty much. The car practically demands to be driven epically. Dealer left a weird message this morning about not having loaners but I could rent through enterprise, after I thought that's how it worked (epic miscommunication vis-a-vis the online scheduler (they couldn't even find my appointment last time). I think I may have to change or chancel the appointment due to logistical fails of unknown magnitudes; I get off work at 8am then have to be back to work at 4pm. Looks like this appointment will take up too much of my break and the rental thing I am losing confidence about (message gave the impression they don't even set up car reservations - no time to screw around here). I did unscrew the oil cap like recommended online and will see if the EPIC light comes back and take it in next week (possibly to the other dealer if need be - the one I brought the Jetta to - don't want to have to go there though, but they do have more openings for last minute appointments). Dilemmas dilemmas...