Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote:Could be non kessy doesn't do the wheel flinch thing the kessy models do. The wheel comes alive when I hit the start button (with the brake down). Also don't forget the GTI has more aggressive steering than the regular Golfs.
I really don't know... but when I was test driving Golf TSI SEL's I don't remember this happening at all either. I can tell you coming from Asian vehicles all my life this car is incredibly qwirky in good/bad ways. Also, on second hand stories of other peoples cars I've heard and seen incredibly weird things.

Since we're on the topic... how is your gas gauge? I can't put more then 10.5 gallons of fuel into this tank upon 2 click offs no matter (seemingly) what. The most fuel I put in was 10.9 gallons and this was when I was "15 miles to empty" with the gas minder on. I know a lot of people are reporting that they are driving this car (for the sake of science) past "0 miles to empty" and going about 40-50 miles even after that. It seems like this car is reserving close to 2 gallons of gas for me (if the advertised 13.2 gallon tank is accurate).
i don't think it snaps like that all the time, only if the wheel is turned off from where it wants to be when the car starts (or something like that). The car is definitely quirky compared to most any Japanese car eye've ever driven, which is good since most if not all of my Japanese cars have been too boring in too many ways. Give me some personality and coolness.

As for the gas tank, same issue here. I'm afraid to destroy the EVAP canister so don't overfill as much as I'd like to. There are people on the vortex who measure their consumption to figure out how much they can add at fill up. Something about waiting 30 seconds after each click to add more gas due to foam build-up?? A little disconcerting coming from the accord with its properly functioning 17 gallon tank and not much worse gas mileage. Just have to stop at the gas station more often I guess.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I once drove with my gas light on for a week, in my 03 Accord. Still had two galleons left.

I sometimes wish I still had that tank. Was yoooj, even my 95 Accord had a yooj tank.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Got home from dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong. Took it on two test drives, checked wheels, tires, associated parts and even unassociated parts (part of 25 point inspection??). Service writer was very nice and told me it was good I came in and got this documented in case anything ever comes up, and he told me to come in if I ever have any concerns.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I once drove with my gas light on for a week, in my 03 Accord. Still had two galleons left.

I sometimes wish I still had that tank. Was yoooj, even my 95 Accord had a yooj tank.
I don't remember the older accords going as long without filling up, but they didn't get as good mileage either. The 15 accord averaged about 28 mpg and I could easily go 400 miles between fill-ups with gallons to spare. I remember missing the gas station and finding excuses to fill up early.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Averaged 27ish un the 03 and 24 in the 95. At roughly 17 gallons, both tanks were very helpful.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Averaged 27ish un the 03 and 24 in the 95. At roughly 17 gallons, both tanks were very helpful.
was the 03 manual?? how old/mileage when you had it?? i ask since i don't remember getting mileage that good, and mom's 07 accord has been averaging 24 mpg at best whenever i've measured it. both are automatic sedans though. can't remember mileage for my 96 EX manual sedan, but i know it wasn't as good as the smaller jap cars i had before that (corollas, sentras and civics, oh my!!).
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

All of my vehicles were automatic until the Kia, which ked me to join here. I remember being impressed that the 03 was getting such good mileage comparatively speaking even withbthe slightly larger, more powerful engine. However, if I recall the 03 was lighter by a couple hundred pounds.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:All of my vehicles were automatic until the Kia, which ked me to join here. I remember being impressed that the 03 was getting such good mileage comparatively speaking even withbthe slightly larger, more powerful engine. However, if I recall the 03 was lighter by a couple hundred pounds.
what was it lighter than?? i think the iVTEC goodness and 5 speed transmission may have helped the mileage. i still don't remember averaging over 26 mpg in my 03 sedan, and mom's 07 has never gotten above 24 mpg since i started measuring the mpgs a few years back. she doesn't maintain the car well though and i'm too lazy to look at it like i used to. the car just runs with oil changes and gas fill-ups, oh and the annual tire pressure adjustment. :lol: thinking back to when iVTEC and the K series engines were new, and how i missed the older B, H and F series engines (I think they kept the D series for a while longer, and the F lived on in the S2000), i was watching this video which brought back the memories. Of course a nice K20 is even more powerful (more torquey at least), but there's something about them older engines... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3qt6-89OA
:shock: :twisted: :shock: :twisted: :shock: :twisted: :shock:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Schniffle biscuits! I thought I said that. My 03 Accord was lighter than my 95 Accord and had 15 more horsepressures. It lacked a color though.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Schniffle biscuits! I thought I said that. My 03 Accord was lighter than my 95 Accord and had 15 more horsepressures. It lacked a color though.
wait a second tank, back that train up...are you trying to tell me that a 7th gen accord was lighter than a 5th gen accord, despite the 7th gen being significantly bigger both inside and out and probably having more safety features?? wikipedia says the 5th gen weighed 2,855 lbs. (not sure which trim level etc.); can't find the 7th gen number and too lazy to keep looking, but can't imagine it being much if any under 3k lbs. now i'm gonna be wondering about this all day (while still too lazy to look it up).
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Yes. At least mine was. I was coming from an EX sedan to an LX coupe. If I recall the EX sedan was 3300 pounds or so, with sunroof, and the LX coupe was just over 3000.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Yes. At least mine was. I was coming from an EX sedan to an LX coupe. If I recall the EX sedan was 3300 pounds or so, with sunroof, and the LX coupe was just over 3000.
the 95 ex v6 was 3285 lbs. the 95 ex 4 cylinder manual was 3009 lbs.; can't find the I4 ex auto weight. the 03 lx coupe auto was 3060 lbs. my 03 lx sedan was 3113 lbs. unless you had the V6, it was close and quite surprising the 7th gen wasn't much heavier.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:i don't think it snaps like that all the time, only if the wheel is turned off from where it wants to be when the car starts (or something like that). The car is definitely quirky compared to most any Japanese car eye've ever driven, which is good since most if not all of my Japanese cars have been too boring in too many ways. Give me some personality and coolness.

As for the gas tank, same issue here. I'm afraid to destroy the EVAP canister so don't overfill as much as I'd like to. There are people on the vortex who measure their consumption to figure out how much they can add at fill up. Something about waiting 30 seconds after each click to add more gas due to foam build-up?? A little disconcerting coming from the accord with its properly functioning 17 gallon tank and not much worse gas mileage. Just have to stop at the gas station more often I guess.
The threads in regards to the fuel gauge/evap canister debate is cringeworthy with very defiant sides. All I know is I would not overbump like more then 2 times. There have been documented cases of people destroying the evap canister and fuel line in doing so... Waiting 30 seconds after each click? Never heard of that but I really don't think it's worth the risk. I'm basically averaging high 200/low 300 mile tank ranges- which with the type of class of cars I come from is pretty much the norm.

I feel like you going from mid size to compact class is a tough one for fuel range. Mid size sedans are pretty much the peak of range topping in the right configuration. I remember Passat TDI (rip) advertising 600 miles a tank. I'd probably fill that up once every 2-3 weeks and that's it.

On the topic of the Accord though- I think this current generation is one of the best looking ever. It's really a great blend of sport and class with the way it looks IMO. I saw the spy photos of the 2018 and it literally looks like a stretched Civic now... Doesn't wear it as well with the proportions. They literally misfire like every other generation with this thing.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Oh man. i get to drive a vehicle next week. a 00'ish chevy express 2500. AWD/RWD. thankfully there is no snow. it has a/c. and a large TRUNK/rear section for moving. I am moving (staying inside GR). it's (obviously) automatic.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Be careful, particularly if it's a genuine cargo van bereft of windows behind the seats. I had to rent its GMC cousin on a business trip. Not only did it have no center mirror (which wouldn't have shown anything anyway), but the side view mirrors had a narrow field of vision and lacked the travel to allow them to be set correctly. I had to move my head all over the cabin to have anything resembling confidence in my lane changes.