Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 pm
watkins wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:52 am Random complaint:

New dash switches for the bus could cost up to $400 for a full set of sixteen custom pieces. I really need to find cheaper options.
As a high-schooler, I had an opportunity to sit in an E-Type Jaguar. I thought the rocker-switches on the dash panel were really special.

What keeps you from going through an on-line catalog and ordering a bunch of rocker switches. People would say "Wow! He turned a Jaguar into a School Bus!"
I forgot to add that you need to go the the local lumberyard and get a wooden plank to mount the rocker switches on.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Just Sayin'.......
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey, how about them snowflakes? We got enough to cover the lawns, shrubbery, rooftops, pahked cahs, etc., but the streets and walkways are just wet. Wood half liked hour Christmas two half bean dis whey.

Speakin' of Shrubbery.

It has been said that this particular shrubbery was a gift from King Arthur to the Knights Who Say Corona Virus as a condition for being allowed to pass by and not be infected. Arthur had thus capitulated on account of his men being terrified to hear the words "Corona Virus".
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

My luck...gas prices are lower than whale poop and i've got nowhere to drive to.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:48 pm My luck...gas prices are lower than whale poop and i've got nowhere to drive to.
Yeah, me too. On the bright side, my S10 has been bucking at steady speed on the freeway and we can't seem to find the problem. Well now it just sits, so it doesn't buck anymore. I would leave it off at the shop for the week and let them use it on longer parts runs, but apparently they don't have enough runs to use it. I can just wait for things to get back to normal to take it in to the shop now that I am used to work-at-home (2 weeks now).

On the other hand if I found a nice '99-'04 Mustang V6 with a manual I might just go with that.

Wikipedia says,
"The 3.8 L OHV Essex V6 returned as the base engine for 1999. A new split-port induction system replaced single-port induction, which increased the base model's output to 190 hp (142 kW; 193 PS) at 5250 rpm and 220 lb⋅ft (298 N⋅m) of torque at 2750 rpm."

I could have a lot of fun with that!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:41 pmOn the other hand if I found a nice '99-'04 Mustang V6 with a manual I might just go with that.

Wikipedia says,
"The 3.8 L OHV Essex V6 returned as the base engine for 1999. A new split-port induction system replaced single-port induction, which increased the base model's output to 190 hp (142 kW; 193 PS) at 5250 rpm and 220 lb⋅ft (298 N⋅m) of torque at 2750 rpm."

I cant imagine how boring that would be. I get the whole slow car fast/fast car slow thing. Our Mazda 2 only has 100hp, and that thing is a blast because its a five-seat gokart. Mustangs have so little going for them in every other regard that I feel like they at least need enough power to actually kill someone when they inevitably crash through a crowd of people.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:49 am
ClutchFork wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:41 pmOn the other hand if I found a nice '99-'04 Mustang V6 with a manual I might just go with that.

Wikipedia says,

I cant imagine how boring that would be. I get the whole slow car fast/fast car slow thing. Our Mazda 2 only has 100hp, and that thing is a blast because its a five-seat gokart. Mustangs have so little going for them in every other regard that I feel like they at least need enough power to actually kill someone when they inevitably crash through a crowd of people.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdnA361Y6s[/youtube]
It seems all you need is about 1 Horsepower and you can cause pandelerium.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:49 am

Wikipedia says,

This to be a daily drive so am looking for compromise between power and economy, but with today's fuel prices, maybe a 351 should be dropped in. But then there is the stay-out-of-trouble factor, and a V6 will do that, whereas a V8 will get me in lots of trouble. With our 92 5.0 I can't even get into second gear on surface streets without violating the speed limit.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Some Canadian dealerships are objecting to Dash Cams in customer's vehicles recording service operations.

Technically speaking, the Dash Panel is the front wall of the vehicle's "Cabin" area. The Instrument Panel is the piece that spans the cabin side-to-side, just aft of the base of the windshield. The Dash Panel was from carriage designs, when you needed something to block the snow, mud, water, etc. dashed off the horses hooves toward the driver. That's from back when a Buggy Whip wasn't a politician with crabs. Notice: Santa's sleigh has a Dash Panel, with no instruments, entertainment center, HVAC duct grills, etc.

https://canada.autonews.com/retail/albe ... 2-readmore
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:59 pmWith our 92 5.0 I can't even get into second gear on surface streets without violating the speed limit.
That is undeniably an operator issue, not a car issue. I manage to stay well within the speed limit with considerably more power.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:21 am
ClutchFork wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:59 pmWith our 92 5.0 I can't even get into second gear on surface streets without violating the speed limit.
Jim, it is not logical to order the helmsman to bring the ship to warp 10 when you know I have calculated that within 99.999% certainty we can get there on time at warp 8 such that you will be able to kiss the girl and save her people and their planet. Any additional time provided by traveling at warp 10 would be superfluous.
Fickset
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:21 am
That is undeniably an operator issue, not a car issue. I manage to stay well within the speed limit with considerably more power.
But I like to run the gears out, and even then I probably are not exceeding 4000 rpm.

Or maybe I should stop running it in subdivisions and hit some US Highways where the limit is 55? :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I've been WTF since the 4th week of March. Haven't driven my Jeep much at all the last cupola weaks. Today, I went out for curbside Pizza and my parking brakes were stuck on until I gaven them a little motivation via the throttle and clutch pedals.

Just got word that our WTF is being extended until May 18. At least the weather is getting better some days and I can go for walks or bike rides.

Found out this week that a personal and family friend died of the virus. LOUSY KRAUTS!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

*****MAY DAY*****MAY DAY*****MAY DAY*****

So here it is, the 1st of May, and I'm still WTF instead of being back in the orifice.

Memorial Day Parade is cancelled.

All the concerts that I was going to attend are cancelled

Selfridge ANGB Air Show is cancelled

.....but wait, hope springs on the horizon......I see some cruising events starting up in the coming weeks.

....some parking lot car shows that offer some space for social distancing while viewing the cars.

....the Woodward Dream Cruise website mentions nothing about cancellation....as if you could stop 40,000 cruisers from "Independently" showing up to "Cruise Woodward" from Ferndale to Pontiac and back on the 3rd Saturday of August.....

...Even NASCAR is giving up the silliness and planning to run real races on real racetracks with drivers piloting from inside real cars.....

Little Orphan Annie was right - the sun will come out tomorrow!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

I still like pizza
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.