Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 pm

AHTOXA wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:51 pm
Had experience with current UConnect. It’s good, but not the end all as often portrayed online.
It's fast to connect to a smart phone, but my experience was that it was glitchy. Did you experience the loud, full-volume buzzing that couldn't be reset by shutting the car off? Especially using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7532
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:16 pm

Eye like pizza
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm

potownrob wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Eye like pizza
Proper pizza, with pineapple?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7532
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:38 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm
potownrob wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Eye like pizza
Proper pizza, with pineapple?
with ham and pineapple, the way the Canadian gods intended it to be made.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:45 am

potownrob wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:38 pm
tankinbeans wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm
potownrob wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Eye like pizza
Proper pizza, with pineapple?
with ham and pineapple, the way the Canadian gods intended it to be made.
Now, eye ham Hungary.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7532
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:55 am

tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:45 am
potownrob wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:38 pm
tankinbeans wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm


Proper pizza, with pineapple?
with ham and pineapple, the way the Canadian gods intended it to be made.
Now, eye ham Hungary.
meat two
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14688
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP
Location: Irving, TX

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by AHTOXA » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 pm
AHTOXA wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:51 pm
Had experience with current UConnect. It’s good, but not the end all as often portrayed online.
It's fast to connect to a smart phone, but my experience was that it was glitchy. Did you experience the loud, full-volume buzzing that couldn't be reset by shutting the car off? Especially using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?
I've experienced no such thing, although I wasn't using it for long. I had in a rental Ram half ton when on a work trip one month ago. I used it for about 5 days but maybe averaging 15 mins a day or so.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15796
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:20 pm

In the 17k miles we've put on the Wrangler since Halloween, we have no real complaints about the UConnect system. It seems to work better with Android devices, which I knew in advance because Apple hates sharing. Most features are pretty well integrated and intuitive. I'm a big fan of nearly all vehicle settings and options being accessed from one interface, rather than the old method of using the EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center aka cluster screen) for some stuff and the radio for other stuff.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10959
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 am

watkins wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:20 pm
Image
I'm a big fan ......
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Grr. Had my oil change done today and specified 0W-20 per the manual and was given 5W. My dealer offers 9 free oil changes at 5W, but I've been able to pay an upcharge for the 0W. I also got another over the pants handy because moving seats back to position is apparently not taught anymore.

I did get a chuckle though because the service advisor was confused about why the front tires were worn down to 7/32 while the rears were at 11/32. I told h the rears were new, he was there when I replaced the first one. He's usually the one who checks me in.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10959
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Da noive a da guy. Your getting less Double U and he expects you to pay more. Ursa Minor (Small constellation), but if there's any time of the year when an extra 5W doesn't matter as much it's during the somerthyme.

I haight (ashbury) when they leave your sound system (Back in my day Sonny, we usta call 'em "Radios", because they weren't even Stereophonic in most cars) playing what they were last listening to.

It isn't that difficult to make a note and then return it back to what I was listening to, is it?

In these modern thymes we live in, I'd be more inclined to expect them to bring their own device into the vehicle if they are going to be working inside it. I'll blow my own speakers out, thank you.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15796
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:36 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:48 pm
I also got another over the pants handy because moving seats back to position is apparently not taught anymore.
As a tech, the general rule of thumb is that if the seat must be moved to fit, only move it along one axis. That way the customer can easily restore its position. We dont get paid to move seats around, so you bet your ass that we dont pull out a ruler to make sure it goes back where it was.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm

watkins wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:36 pm
tankinbeans wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:48 pm
I also got another over the pants handy because moving seats back to position is apparently not taught anymore.
As a tech, the general rule of thumb is that if the seat must be moved to fit, only move it along one axis. That way the customer can easily restore its position. We dont get paid to move seats around, so you bet your ass that we dont pull out a ruler to make sure it goes back where it was.
That's understandable. I guess having it all the way up to the steering wheel and not attempting to slide back is what miffs me a bit. I get needing clutch control, but I'm an average sized dude and sucking in to move it back stinks. I do my best to recognize when something is merely an annoyance versus a problem.

Interesting side note though, it's usually a young lady who moves it. She seems to be their resident manual mover.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7532
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:57 am

Gold Cloud in for servicing. Sunroof rattle and what sounds like tranny whine (high rope). Got a loaner which is even more clouderific than my Gold Cloud: a pearly white cloud RX 350. White Cloud soaks up the bumps better than a heavy duty sponge. Has telepathically automatic headlights. Good base (non Mark Levinson) sound system. All kinds of automatic goodies. White paint is something to behold.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10959
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:14 pm

potownrob wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:57 am
Gold Cloud in for servicing. Sunroof rattle and what sounds like tranny whine (high rope). Got a loaner which is even more clouderific than my Gold Cloud: a pearly white cloud RX 350. White Cloud soaks up the bumps better than a heavy duty sponge. Has telepathically automatic headlights. Good base (non Mark Levinson) sound system. All kinds of automatic goodies. White paint is something to behold.
Yeah, and Constipated Reports Liked white Cloud the Best.
https://www.njfamily.com/white-cloud-fl ... r-ratings/
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Post Reply