Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by AHTOXA »

Update and life and job and such:

Did I tell you dudes I started a new jerb a couple of months ago? Been focusing on that, obviously. Happy with the company, happy with the folks I work with, but the project I'm on is a bit of a mess and isn't the most exciting thing ever. I'm not too enthused about it -- the project. Otherwise all is going quite good. The GF's moved into my apartment in July and we're renting a house once my lease comes up in October. She's got her large dog here of course, so it's bit full with two big dogs and two people in 800 sq ft apartment.

Other than that, things have been good. The previous job had me burnt out quite back and I don't think I've fully recovered from that, but that's another story. My stress levels haven't really gotten down there where they should be, and lack of good diet and exercise didn't help -- it was kind of a vicious cycle. I've been getting my shit back together and for a while I've been heavily back into MTB riding and various other outdoor sports/activities with the GF and the puppers. Just gotta get those stress and anxiety levels down; it's an ongoing project, really.

Update on the 4Runner:

I'm right around 12.5k on my 4Runner since February and things are going well. I did have one very small problem where the coolant expansion tank's neck was slightly misshapen allowing a drop of coolant here and there to seep out between the cap and the neck. Dealer swapped the expansion tank under warranty and no more issue.

Small annoyances to report: steering wheel was slightly crooked since day one but I've not been bothered enough to get it fixed. Whenever I do align it next time I'll have it corrected. Bonus: my last two vehicles had alignment problems from the factory (F150 and Forester) causing noticeably abnormal tire wear. 4Runner's alignment is good, just the wheel isn't centered perfectly.

Second annoyance was tires not balanced all too well. I just took it to a reputable shop and had them road force balance. No more shimmy at 58-61 miles an hour.

Other than that, the truck has been great. I've taken it to CO over 11k foot passes, back country wheeling (no passes as there was still snow) and many rather remote campsites in a number of states. I've not done heavy wheeling with her yet, but I've got supporting mods planned for this (armor, really).

I've towed with my 'Runner more times than I have with my F150 in like a quarter of the time of ownership (also heavier loads than the half ton ever saw)! The Runner's not the fastest out there, but tows fine at 400ft (Dallas elevation), although I'd be really, really slow at anything over 6k feet. In just about a month she's gonna tow again, this time the largest U-Haul trailer when me and the GF move into a house we're gonna rent. Of note: even though she's rated for 5k lbs, my trim with the offload bits has a crippled payload of only ~900 lbs, so would most likely run out of payload before I run past the weight rating. The heaviest I've towed was around 3.5k and she did quite well.

Saving money to do an Icon stage 3 lift and some 33s. Going with quality suspension this time, which will improve the actual ride quality both inroad and off.

Botton line is I still love the truck as much as the first day I got it. It's exactly what I wanted - an honest vehicle that is simple, reliable, durable (both mostly by virtue of old tech) but still a new vehicle with warranty and my own farts in the seats. Despite its archaic underpinnings it's got a lot of charm for the right buyer and its sales numbers are proving it as the 4Runner is selling strong and has been seeing records sales in the last few years despite its old age. It's slow, it eats gas, but it's simple, charming and reliable while getting me around to see the most beautiful places on earth in the sate of Colorado.

Tats and shit:

Oh, I also got some ink done! First tattoo at age of 35. I'll share pics when it's finished; I've got to go back in 2 weeks to finish shading and filling. Two sessions total, first was around 5.5 hours and second should be around 2.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Can anyone tell me what is the meaning of a large orange letter O in the back window of a car. I have seen this three times in the past week and it is usually about a 10-inch-high O and smack in the middle of the back window. Why would anybody put that on their window?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Does it have any sort of a splat pattern?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:17 pm Does it have any sort of a splat pattern?
Nope, a nice clean O, Kind of like this:

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

forgot to comment on this the other day...good on you for moving forward with your plans and getting things done, no matter how little you may think you're getting done. wish i could say i had the same determination and organization (and energy). other than trading for a new (to me) car, paying some bills and buying other stuff, i haven't really gotten anything done. have to reschedule that doctor's appointment i cancelled two months ago and schedule another one (3 really, but focusing on what i think is the most important one). can't wait to hear what my doctor has to say about all that. railroad apparently doesn't want me (third one i';ve tested for). people ask me to do things and i end up telling them to go on their own, since i'm afraid of not being organized enough to get off and go to their shindigs. on the plus side, it looks like we may finally have a new dedicated weekend night auditor almost trained, which will hopefully allow me to focus less on training and not being able to take off, and more on taking off when i want to. glad that 4runner is treating you well. hard to beat the old school tried and true toyota engineering. they bring in new stuff like new engines and trannies and tech and have to weed out the bad stuff for the first few years.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

We took our inaugural trip in the school bus this past weekend and of course it ended poorly. Bus wouldn't start. Turns out the starter was internally shorted and arcing to the block. After two hour-long round trips to parts stores and a hope-this-works starter, we gave up. The closest starter we could find is from a Ram. Turns out the 5.9 Cummins in Rams and Freightliners use different flex plates so the starter can't engage the teeth.

Campground office was closed so I left a voicemail which they've since returned and I ordered the part from Amazon with an ETA of Wednesday. Fortunately we only live about an hour from the campground we went to, so going back to fix it shouldn't be a problem. I feel like the only real good news is that it's off-season so I was able to book it through until Thursday rather than someone else needing the site. Pretty sure winching a 35' bus out of some trees would be less than pleasant.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:27 pm We took our inaugural trip in the school bus this past weekend and of course it ended poorly. Bus wouldn't start. Turns out the starter was internally shorted and arcing to the block. After two hour-long round trips to parts stores and a hope-this-works starter, we gave up. The closest starter we could find is from a Ram. Turns out the 5.9 Cummins in Rams and Freightliners use different flex plates so the starter can't engage the teeth.

Campground office was closed so I left a voicemail which they've since returned and I ordered the part from Amazon with an ETA of Wednesday. Fortunately we only live about an hour from the campground we went to, so going back to fix it shouldn't be a problem. I feel like the only real good news is that it's off-season so I was able to book it through until Thursday rather than someone else needing the site. Pretty sure winching a 35' bus out of some trees would be less than pleasant.
and here i thought EYE had a bad weekend!! good thing you happen to be a mechanic. :) :shock: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Ive been at work for four hours. Our computer system has been down for four hours. We cant function, and I cant get paid.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

A Rolls, by any other name, would ride just as smoothly.

Not so sure about a Volvo electric car.

Naming schemes are funny, like when BMW continued the 318 series even after the engine size increased to 2 liters.

....Or Oldsmobile naming their FWD offering Cutlass in order to cash in on the success of their RWD Cutlass line

....or when Chrysler did the same with the LeBaron name and got called on the carpet by the press.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 3-readmore
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

...and then Mazda extends the MX designation to an Electric CUV

https://canada.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 2-readmore
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:35 pm ...and then Mazda extends the MX designation to an Electric CUV

https://canada.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 2-readmore
not cool mazda, not cool. probably not the best idea to try to be like mitsubishi... :| :evil: :?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

HAPPY VETERANS DAY!

Today the greater Detroit area is experiencing its first significant snowfall of the season. Glad I checked out my snowblower this weekend - right after I mowed the lawn and leaves! Temperatures are going down thru the day, so I'll either be shoveling or using the blower when I go home tonight. Left the house 45 minutes earlier this morning, so I avoided most of the rush hour frustration, but I'm not looking forward to the commute home. Even if the plows and salt trucks have been out, it'll be slow and slushy at best
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FCA to Offer New "Peace-f-Mind" feature in Pacifica Minivans

FCA announced today that starting in 2021, Chrysler Pacifica owners will never again have to listen to their kids whine "He's Touching Me!"

A sensor detects if a hand passes through the centerline of the vehicle and sets off an airbag to separate the two brats.