Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

Soooo..... Though it really want to stay, I really want out of my current place of employment. I cant stand my current boss and his constant bullshit. We're all pretty miserable working for him. My coworker gave his notice yesterday, and another just needs to pass her piss test. The exodus has begun. That said, I have an interview tomorrow at the dealership where my last two bosses currently work. I very much liked working for both of them. The problem is that though I like the boss, the politics are said to be even worse than my current situation. Where I am no I can pull my own car in and work on it no questions asked. From what I understand about this alternative place, for me to even go to the parts department and buy something like an oil filter requires an email to the GM first. And he might say no.

Either way, interview = nervous/excited like whoa.

Following that interview I have a nice long weekend of camping with friends. Its our annual trip that around a dozen of us - most who met 14+ years ago - all take as a relaxing tradition.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:Soooo..... Though it really want to stay, I really want out of my current place of employment. I cant stand my current boss and his constant bullshit. We're all pretty miserable working for him. My coworker gave his notice yesterday, and another just needs to pass her piss test. The exodus has begun. That said, I have an interview tomorrow at the dealership where my last two bosses currently work. I very much liked working for both of them. The problem is that though I like the boss, the politics are said to be even worse than my current situation. Where I am no I can pull my own car in and work on it no questions asked. From what I understand about this alternative place, for me to even go to the parts department and buy something like an oil filter requires an email to the GM first. And he might say no.

Either way, interview = nervous/excited like whoa.
that's a tough one. what kind of bullshit is your current boss giving you?? i'm wondering how bad he can be if he lets you work on your car etc.

Following that interview I have a nice long weekend of camping with friends. Its our annual trip that around a dozen of us - most who met 14+ years ago - all take as a relaxing tradition.
epic winning :D :twisted: :!:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

List form!

-We get yelled at for not fixing cars, even if there isnt a legitimate complaint.
-We get yelled at for "over fixing" cars by putting in too many parts (which are often needed) even when its all covered by warranty.
-One "technician" - and I use that term very loosely - is given easy job after easy job while the rest of us get shit shoveled at us. This individual cant even manage to correctly do a brake job.
-Constant rule and policy changes that we are expected to know and adhere to, but are never told about.
-General demeaning, know-it-all attitude which is completely unwarranted and truthfully unmerited.

Theres more to complain about, but these are the major things which result in a general bad atmosphere to work in.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:List form!

-We get yelled at for not fixing cars, even if there isnt a legitimate complaint.
-We get yelled at for "over fixing" cars by putting in too many parts (which are often needed) even when its all covered by warranty.
-One "technician" - and I use that term very loosely - is given easy job after easy job while the rest of us get shit shoveled at us. This individual cant even manage to correctly do a brake job.
-Constant rule and policy changes that we are expected to know and adhere to, but are never told about.
-General demeaning, know-it-all attitude which is completely unwarranted and truthfully unmerited.

Theres more to complain about, but these are the major things which result in a general bad atmosphere to work in.
Yeah, damn....can't blame you for wanting to get the hell out of there...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I changed my name to "Grandpa" yesterday.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I changed my name to "Grandpa" yesterday.
Granpa Rope has an interesting ring. Is the new person a man or a woman?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Blue Beast seems to be having a bellyache. It feels like at speeds above ~55mph the front end vibrates a little, whether going straight or turning. Below ~48 mph i can hardly feel or hear anything. It doesn't seem to be transmitted much through the steering wheel and it doesn't seem to be pulling the car to one side or another. I have tried tightening and retightening the lug bolts on the wheels (all wheels), and it's still there. The driverside front wheel has very slight (could be my imagination) give when i push it with my boot, while the others feel totally solid. I haven't jacked up the wheels to see if they have any real play to them. I also looked for anything that might be rubbing the front wheels (plastic pieces in the wheel well??) but couldn't find anything. Any advice before I bring it in to be looked at?? When this happened on the Jetta (was a much louder sound and vibration), it wound up being a plastic/rubber piece rubbing a wheel.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Congrats!
potownrob wrote:It feels like at speeds above ~55mph the front end vibrates a little, whether going straight or turning. Below ~48 mph i can hardly feel or hear anything. It doesn't seem to be transmitted much through the steering wheel and it doesn't seem to be pulling the car to one side or another.
As you already suggested: Jack it, then grab and push in/out to check for bearing play. (Someone's gonna take that and run with it...)

Also, the first thing I think of is a thrown wheel weight or a slipped tire belt. Both can manifest first that way before beginning to shake the steering wheel or pull.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Wheel weights...Ms. Frizzle was off by about 3 oz all around at one point.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Soooo..... Though it really want to stay, I really want out of my current place of employment. I cant stand my current boss and his constant bullshit. We're all pretty miserable working for him. My coworker gave his notice yesterday, and another just needs to pass her piss test. The exodus has begun. That said, I have an interview tomorrow at the dealership where my last two bosses currently work. I very much liked working for both of them. The problem is that though I like the boss, the politics are said to be even worse than my current situation. Where I am no I can pull my own car in and work on it no questions asked. From what I understand about this alternative place, for me to even go to the parts department and buy something like an oil filter requires an email to the GM first. And he might say no.
As I got older I realized that job experience for the most part reflected who/how your direct boss operated. I really never liked my last one and grit and grinded for 3 years but towards the last months I really, strongly, disliked him and I couldn't deal with it anymore. The job itself I really had minimal problems with but he seemed to bring his own issues into everyone's lives and amplified others. I wish you luck!
Blue Beast seems to be having a bellyache. It feels like at speeds above ~55mph the front end vibrates a little, whether going straight or turning. Below ~48 mph i can hardly feel or hear anything. It doesn't seem to be transmitted much through the steering wheel and it doesn't seem to be pulling the car to one side or another. I have tried tightening and retightening the lug bolts on the wheels (all wheels), and it's still there. The driverside front wheel has very slight (could be my imagination) give when i push it with my boot, while the others feel totally solid. I haven't jacked up the wheels to see if they have any real play to them. I also looked for anything that might be rubbing the front wheels (plastic pieces in the wheel well??) but couldn't find anything. Any advice before I bring it in to be looked at?? When this happened on the Jetta (was a much louder sound and vibration), it wound up being a plastic/rubber piece rubbing a wheel.
Okay- no vibration through the steering wheel but any through the accelerator or brake? I swear I became immune to it (or it fixed itself) but at times I would feel a slight vibration through the accelerator pedal at higher speeds (highway speeds) which I thought could've been a bearing issue. It was by no means bad but it was "there"... I either might've become immune or I'm not even sure.

Side question though for you... when you first start the car off a cold start (after sitting for awhile) have you ever attempted a 3 point turn or turned the steering wheel lock to lock right or left? See what happens if anything... I'm curious. Pretty much hold the brake (brake completely) and turn the wheel lock to lock without moving.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been a little MIA off these forums for a few. I've been quite busy with work and just got word last week that they are going to be flying me out to Maryland/Washington DC for a few days in 2 weeks on a business trip. I haven't been on a plane in over 10 years... :shock:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
Granpa Rope has an interesting ring. Is the new person a man or a woman?
He won't be a man for a few years.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

theholycow wrote:Also, the first thing I think of is a thrown wheel weight or a slipped tire belt. Both can manifest first that way before beginning to shake the steering wheel or pull.
...and shortly after posting that, I drove the Buick for the first time since it was towed home and there was a bumpy feel like that from the rear. I was a couple miles from home when it finally turned to the flapping of a tread separation. I hobbled home at 25mph rather than bothering to change it roadside...it held air the whole way.

Edit: Not bad, I think I got like 5 years and 9 trillion miles out of that pair of tires for $25.

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yesterday while changing that tire, I opened my truck to get my jack and there was a new hornet nest in the door jamb...which I found out when some angry hornets stung my hand through my glove. One sting was right in my right ring finger's middle knuckle, one on the back of that hand, and maybe one between. The knuckle ached all afternoon and there is much itching today along with some swelling.

Then this morning after a shave I went to put my razor away and sliced my right index finger tip. In years of straight and old-fashioned double-edge safety razor usage I don't think I've ever sliced myself.

That poor hand is really taking a beating this weekend.

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

theholycow wrote:Yesterday while changing that tire, I opened my truck to get my jack and there was a new hornet nest in the door jamb...which I found out when some angry hornets stung my hand through my glove. One sting was right in my right ring finger's middle knuckle, one on the back of that hand, and maybe one between. The knuckle ached all afternoon and there is much itching today along with some swelling.

Then this morning after a shave I went to put my razor away and sliced my right index finger tip. In years of straight and old-fashioned double-edge safety razor usage I don't think I've ever sliced myself.

That poor hand is really taking a beating this weekend.
Ugh, that is rough. My old Corolla used to get a lot of bees nests in the door jambs too and I never really understood it. It's not like the car was grown in and such but I'd clear them out probably once a month during the summer.

In other news, I've been really starting to document my AC woes hardcore. I bought a digital cooking thermometer for cheap that got good reviews on Amazon and everytime the AC doesn't work versus the AC working with mostly consistent variables I'm documenting on film what is going on. I'm keeping the A/C settings on MAX A/C, air recirc, and air settings going through the middle vents. Yesterday evening I caught it not functioning with my girlfriend present and even on a second hand experience she didn't think it was cold- "luke warm air". I set the thermometer right outside the right middle vent and for over 2 minutes it blew 28 degrees celsius exactly (82.4 F). There is absolutely no way this could be a normal MAX A/C setting with the dial for temperature all the way turned left. It was literally cooler outside ambient temperature then what was going on inside the car.

Really frustrating because it's been 85+ for the last few days and today. Now I need to document a reading of when it's working...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I just went thru a 2nd round of fun-n-games w/Petey's ac - 2nd verse same as the first. Cooling module fan goes bad and doesn't run at low speed whenever ac is on. If driving is providing ram airflow, everything seems fine, but if sitting still, no airflow through the condensor means no condensing so pressure goes up, engine chuggs at idle due to compressor load, and no cool air coming from ducts. Put in a fan unit again and we're good-2-goats again.