Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Teamwork »

Well, I'm a month deep now at my new job and I have to say the transition has been beautiful... hindsight being 20/20 but I wish I made the leap of faith earlier. Still have ties to my old team and a lot of my colleagues say people have jumped ship and have been overall miserable. This year already has been better then all of last year for me...

Well, I'm moving along with my car hunt which has made a few developments from where it left off;
1) My wife and I have decided "down the line" it would probably be best that I have two cars and one of them being stick. It's pretty much a mutual agreement at this point as her drive (no pun) to learn stick is not there.
2) I've essentially eliminated hybrids/EV's in my immediate future search as it would not benefit in the type of driving I do now.
3) I'm going to the NY auto show a week from today and going to look over with a fine tooth comb:

SUBCOMPACTS:
Honda Fit
Toyota Yaris (Mazda 2 ver)
Kia Rio / Hyundai Accent

COMPACTS:
Mazda 3
Kia Forte
Kia Soul
Toyota Corolla

SUBCOMPACT SUV:
Hyundai Kona
Buick Encore
Nissan Kicks

Really want to have one last summer with the GTI but if the the incentive and trade in value checked the boxes for me I'd be ready to move next week even. Still hanging onto hope that I can get 10k for it but I know as each month passes that chance diminishes. I think secretly the Mazda 3 is number 1 for me- seeing it in person has really changed my perspective on what I was on the fence about. This name plate has been 1 & 2 for me in my last 2 perspective outtings and always seems to fall apart on the sales floor. Pretty excited for next week- happy holidays all.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

The new one Mazda3 has a pretty nice interior, definitely feels a step above even my Mazda6. That's to be expected since the new Mazda3 is all-new and not just a refresh. It feels solidly built, with a J-VIN too, and the materials are top notch. Haven't driven one though, so I can't comment, especially since the suspension setup has changed. You won't have to worry about being down on power since the current NA 2.5 is rated 186/186.

Not sure where the pricing is at this point since they stopped selling the 2.0, and only offer a manual in the top trim hatchback. I know you're looking for an auto so that point is generally moot.

P.S. the autos truly are a nice bit to drive. I've driven a CX-5 with the NA 2.5 and FWD.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:12 pm The new one Mazda3 has a pretty nice interior, definitely feels a step above even my Mazda6. That's to be expected since the new Mazda3 is all-new and not just a refresh. It feels solidly built, with a J-VIN too, and the materials are top notch. Haven't driven one though, so I can't comment, especially since the suspension setup has changed. You won't have to worry about being down on power since the current NA 2.5 is rated 186/186.

Not sure where the pricing is at this point since they stopped selling the 2.0, and only offer a manual in the top trim hatchback. I know you're looking for an auto so that point is generally moot.

P.S. the autos truly are a nice bit to drive. I've driven a CX-5 with the NA 2.5 and FWD.
mazda really went above and beyond this time. get it now!! just don't get one from an LI/NYC dealer. come up north of NYC or to NJ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQDqwecojc
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

At 8:00am this morning, he crawled out of the tomb, er, I mean womb,....the youngest baby in the world! Now there are three young boys that I have to keep a vehicle with an Amish transmixer running for, so I can teach them how to tame a wild, bucking clutch pedal, when they get old enough, of course.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:52 pm At 8:00am this morning, he crawled out of the tomb, er, I mean womb,....the youngest baby in the world! Now there are three young boys that I have to keep a vehicle with an Amish transmixer running for, so I can teach them how to tame a wild, bucking clutch pedal, when they get old enough, of course.
congrats on another grandkid. Can’t yore kids show them the ropes when the thyme comes??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:52 pm At 8:00am this morning, he crawled out of the tomb, er, I mean womb,....the youngest baby in the world! Now there are three young boys that I have to keep a vehicle with an Amish transmixer running for, so I can teach them how to tame a wild, bucking clutch pedal, when they get old enough, of course.
congrats on another grandkid. Can’t yore kids show them the ropes when the thyme comes??
Sure, I finally make it to the rank of Grandpa-Cubed and you want me to give up all the fun duties that I consider being associated with the job.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I wonder if my parents will be bummed when I never have kids. Its probably in my sister's best interests to not reproduce either.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm I wonder if my parents will be bummed when I never have kids. Its probably in my sister's best interests to not reproduce either.
My mom keeps telling me I should have kids though I've made it clear that I don't want children of my own. I get more than enough kid time when I visit my nieces and nephew (I have more than one nephew, but haven't seen them for 5 and 6 years). The ability to walk away and know they're cared for is good enough for me; I wouldn't have the patience to be there 100% of the time.

Also, right now I'm happily single.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:18 pm
watkins wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm I wonder if my parents will be bummed when I never have kids. Its probably in my sister's best interests to not reproduce either.
My mom keeps telling me I should have kids though I've made it clear that I don't want children of my own. I get more than enough kid time when I visit my nieces and nephew (I have more than one nephew, but haven't seen them for 5 and 6 years). The ability to walk away and know they're cared for is good enough for me; I wouldn't have the patience to be there 100% of the time.

Also, right now I'm happily single.
Kids are nothing to take lightly. You ought to be ready to say "It's not about me anymore", and not regret it, before you have any kids. Do you ever get a kick out of sharing your favorite pizza place with someone who never heard of it? ...or introducing someone to your favorite movie, or hobby, or vacation place, or food? How about sharing your best memories with someone by letting them experience all the good things in life that you did?

This Grandpa thing is a lot easier than being the one that HAS to be there for them 24x7. Anyway, ever since my lobotomy, I've had a lot more patience. Yesterday, I showed two younguns the dozen or so ants that had come to inspect my Hershey Bar wrapper...they never saw ants before. Aunts maybe, but not ants. We're not born knowing much, but some kids have a lot more stuff pointed out to them than others and folks say "Wow, he's sure got a lot of common sense" when they should be saying "Wow, someone has taught this one to observe and learn".

OK, I'm gettin' down off my soap box now, before I end up saying "...and if elected,.....".
Last edited by Rope-Pusher on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:22 pm
potownrob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 pm
Sure, I finally make it to the rank of Grandpa-Cubed and you want me to give up all the fun duties that I consider being associated with the job.
perhaps eye doughn't halve Ass Munch Faith Inn yore Lon gevity ass eye should :? :oops: :cry: :shock: :lol:
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 pm Kids are nothing to take lightly. You ought to be ready to say "It's not about me anymore", and not regret it, before you have any kids.

Blah blah blah

patience

Blah blah blah
I have no patience. I deal with so much stupidity that I don't have the mental capability to not snap immediately when faced with ignorance - intentional or innocent.
Last edited by watkins on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 pm
tankinbeans wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:18 pm Kids are nothing to take lightly. You ought to be ready to say "It's not about me anymore", and not regret it, before you have any kids.

Blah blah blah

patience

Blah blah blah
I have no patience. I deal with so much stupidity that I don't have the mental capability to not snap immediately when faced with ignorance - intentional or innocent.
So go and get the lobotomy first and see how you feel afterward.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:22 pm
potownrob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 pm congrats on another grandkid. Can’t yore kids show them the ropes when the thyme comes??
perhaps eye doughn't halve Ass Munch Faith Inn yore Lon gevity ass eye should :? :oops: :cry: :shock: :lol:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPatfgoNBRo[/youtube]

I'M NOT DEAD!
I'M GETTING BETTER.
I DON'T WANT TO GO ON THE CART.
I FEEL FINE.
I THINK I'LL GO FOR A WALK.
I FEEL HAPPY.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

There's a lot riding on the new Corvette

https://www.autonews.com/blogs/theres-l ... w-corvette
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

My mom keeps asking me when the kids are gonna come. I don’t know. I’m 35 but I don’t feel like I’m ready for a kid and luckily neither is my GF. We both feel like there are more things to be done in life with our own selfing interests in mind before we focus on a child. Eventually we will, but not just yet. It just seems too early at this time. But my mother certainly doesn’t miss an opportunity to remind me that she wants grandkid(s).
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650