Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:53 am
watkins wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:03 pm And then there's me, who owns a bus and it completely OK with it being an automatic. I don't think I would particularly enjoy squeezing a 35' long vehicle with shitty visibility in to the places I've squeezed it so far. Also the wife can drive it, so that makes life easier if I ever want to nap.
I think this falls in line with my feelings on trailer towing with an Amish vehicle...
Aside from your mention of steep hills (ugh) I don't particularly mind towing with my car. Being that it's lowered, I do tend to avoid that awful off road option any way. That's when I take the Wrangler instead. Which actually brings me to a very much related situation. My friends have a camper that's just shy of a JK max tow rating, weighing in at 3,4XX pounds. After some particularly stinky clutch one camping trip, I told him to put it in 4LOW, which he's done with great results ever since whenever he backs in to a campsite. Of course this is a non-pavement granny reverse, but it gets the job done.
Yes, gets 2.5-4x the ratio when in low range. If your backing up fairly straight it prolly wooden bee a pablum on drie Rhodes, butt the mower string ewe dew the mower individualistic the distance travelled by each wheel tends tooby.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

1994 Plymouth Voyager With Manual Transmission Is Junkyard Treasure

Truth be told, the Amish Chrysler Minivans were discontinued for sale in the USA, but came back for an encore performance in 1994-95.

They were built in Austria for over-seas sales for some years after they were no longer available here.

Oh, and the location of the shifter had NOTHING to do with Dodge Shadow / Plymouth Sundance. They cable lengths and the shifter lever length were unique. Cup-Holder clearance, styling preferences, and preserving "Walk-Through" were the predominant reasons for where the shifter was located.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... %20Openers
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

What Was the Final US-Market Car with a Four-Speed Transmission?

2020 Dodge Journey - they simplified the powertrain offerings to 2.4L I4 w/4-speed ATX for the last model year's production.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... %20Openers
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

What was the last vehicle built that uses the same driver's door hinges as my 2008 Jeep Liberty?

2020 Dodge Journey!

Eye mustard aloud the wind to pull the door open too far and now the door opens so far that the lower hinge detent arm bypasses the roller wheel if I allow the door to swing open to the stops. I keep a screwdriver handy to tuck the detent arm back in place so I can shut the door.

I looked up replacement hinges and they run $50 for the upper and $60 for the lower. Then I looked up what other vehicles use these same hinges and found a plethora of Chrysler / FCA models. The last vehicles to use these hinges is the 2020 Dodge Journey.

I went to a U-Pick junkyard at lunchtime the other day and scored a set of nearly-virginal hinges from a 2014 Chrysler 200. Only cost me 5-10 minutes of labor and $10 for each hinge. That 200 is 6 years younger than my Liberty and the door is a lot smaller / lighter, so I think those hinges may still have a lot of life left in them.

Now, I just need a lovely assistant to hold the door for me while I swap hinges. (Okay, the door can rest on a pickle bucket while the assistant keeps it from tipping over)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:19 pm What was the last vehicle built that uses the same driver's door hinges as my 2008 Jeep Liberty?

2020 Dodge Journey!

Eye mustard aloud the wind to pull the door open too far and now the door opens so far that the lower hinge detent arm bypasses the roller wheel if I allow the door to swing open to the stops. I keep a screwdriver handy to tuck the detent arm back in place so I can shut the door.

I looked up replacement hinges and they run $50 for the upper and $60 for the lower. Then I looked up what other vehicles use these same hinges and found a plethora of Chrysler / FCA models. The last vehicles to use these hinges is the 2020 Dodge Journey.

I went to a U-Pick junkyard at lunchtime the other day and scored a set of nearly-virginal hinges from a 2014 Chrysler 200. Only cost me 5-10 minutes of labor and $10 for each hinge. That 200 is 6 years younger than my Liberty and the door is a lot smaller / lighter, so I think those hinges may still have a lot of life left in them.

Now, I just need a lovely assistant to hold the door for me while I swap hinges. (Okay, the door can rest on a pickle bucket while the assistant keeps it from tipping over)
Yesterday was a nice-enough day.
I used a cardboard box to support the door so I didn't yank on the still-connected wiring when I took it off the hinges.
I installed the replacement hinges to align with the shadows of the original hinges on the door jamb.
The door shut nicely and aligned with the body panels so I tightened it down right where I had it.
It was apparent that the replacement hinges restricted it from opening as far as it had been with the original hinges, so I believe the original hinge stops had gotten tweaked when the wind took the door from my hand and swung it full open.
I will try to be more aware of the wind and not allow it to take the door out of my grip again - cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Did you charge yourself the required labor time?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:01 pm Did you charge yourself the required labor time?
Yes. I took my wallet out of one pocket and placed it in the other pocket.

Yanno, less labor was needed to remove hinges at the junkyard because I could just let the door fall off the hinges and hang by the wiring. I had to be more careful-like when I undid the nuts holding my door to the hinges.

I did pick up a good hint from the internet - roll down the window before starting so it's easier to grab the door by the top of the window frame. That helped with putting the door back on as well - I stuck my left shoulder through the window opening and used that to lift the door while I used my right hand to aim the door studs into the holes in the hinges. I was surprised when all 4 studs found their holes on the first try (TWSS).
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

What Was the Final US-Market Car with a Two-Speed Transmission?

Well, yeah, if you include slush-boxes,....... and they have to upshift and downshift automatically,.....1973 Chevrolet Nova.

Anyone else here ever "Slip and Slide with a Powerglide"?

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... nsmission/
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

It could be argued the Corvette used a two-speed automatic in the '80s, with the Doug Nash 4+3.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:05 pm It could be argued the Corvette used a two-speed automatic in the '80s, with the Doug Nash 4+3.
I remember those - I think I even drove one once. It defaulted to high range when you started it up but you could select low-range with a switch....kinda like shutting off traction or stability control now may be.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

rooks rike eye mist sum act tivity inn hier :o
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 pm What Was the Final US-Market Car with a Two-Speed Transmission?

Well, yeah, if you include slush-boxes,....... and they have to upshift and downshift automatically,.....1973 Chevrolet Nova.

Anyone else here ever "Slip and Slide with a Powerglide"?

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... nsmission/
A two-speed automatic is effectively a three speed because the torque multiplication upon leaving the line.

I had a 1971 Ford Custom 4-door in high school. It was a big party car. It had a 3-speed automatic that effectively became a two-speed when I floored it through an intersection and hit a bump at the same time. After that, for some reason (of course, there always is a reason, right), it lost second gear permanently. It was not the same as a factory two-speed, which would be geared a bit differently than a 1-3 shifter.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, driving with 1st and 3rd must have been rough. The powerglide was more like 1.5 & 3 (1:1) - good car to race someone at a 40 MPH Roll, because if they had 3 gears 40 was too fast for 1st and not a lot of rpm in 2nd but right at the Goldilocks speed for the 1st gear with powerglide.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Kinda reminds me of the early VW Rabbit and/or Scirocco, in that they advertised 0-50 times rather than 0-60 times because:
A) They had to do another shift to get to 60
B) They might confuse some folks into thinking they were comparing apples to apples instead of apples to oranges (compared to the 0-60 times most buff-magazines and manufacturers posted)
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:17 pm Kinda reminds me of the early VW Rabbit and/or Scirocco, in that they advertised 0-50 times rather than 0-60 times because:
A) They had to do another shift to get to 60
B) They might confuse some folks into thinking they were comparing apples to apples instead of apples to oranges (compared to the 0-60 times most buff-magazines and manufacturers posted)
My 4-banger Chevy S10 gets really awesome 0-5 mph times! :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...