Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Fastest-Ever Mustang Shelby GT500......Amish Need Not Get In Line
https://www.autonews.com/detroit-auto-s ... elby-gt500
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Couldn't resist. Put some beefy rubbers on the truck - went larger than stock of course.

Not gonna seriously wheel the thing like I did with my Wranger and Xterra - it's just too big - but this truck does see dirt (gasp, not a bro truck!), so it's warranted. I use it often to access remote places and general tramping around national forests looking for out of the way camp sites. Tires did great last weekend in some wet mud/sand mix just north of Houston.

Went with Goodyear Duratracs, by the way in a 33" flavor. Pics later - been too busy using them. Also severe snow rated, for when I get my ass moved to CO.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Sometimes the comments are better than the article.
"supercalifragilisticexpialidoc • 6 hours ago
"VW says car prices will rise significantly to comply with CO2 emissions limits."

Translated: Being honest is costing us more."

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... o-readmore
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 pm Couldn't resist. Put some beefy rubbers on the truck - went larger than stock of course.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 pm Couldn't resist. Put some beefy rubbers on the truck - went larger than stock of course.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Not gonna seriously wheel the thing like I did with my Wranger and Xterra - it's just too big - but this truck does see dirt (gasp, not a bro truck!), so it's warranted. I use it often to access remote places and general tramping around national forests looking for out of the way camp sites. Tires did great last weekend in some wet mud/sand mix just north of Houston.

Went with Goodyear Duratracs, by the way in a 33" flavor. Pics later - been too busy using them. Also severe snow rated, for when I get my ass moved to CO.
Tones,
You should have bought whatever tires Rolls Royce is using now:

"Rolls-Royce gaining traction in Canada "

https://canada.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 4-readmore
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

So I have been reflecting on the last 10 years of my life. So, let me say up front - this will be a reflective post made mostly of my rambling. Skip to TLDR at the end if so inclined.

I'm 35 now, and I feel that the past 10 years were, in a way, were more formative than your standard formative years growing up into a teenager - at least that's how I feel. I've learned a lot about myself. I'm learned about my character, my abilities, my limitations, my weaknesses and my strengths. And more importantly, I feel that for once I was able to not only consciously file and categorize this information, but also do something with it. Maybe even, hopefully, learn something from it.

There was a time in the last year or so when I was walking my dog that the finality of life dawned on me, but not in a morbid way; in a way that I suddenly came to factual reality of it all. It was like having life slow down for a few minutes to allow me to get some perspective on everything around me. I sort of came out of the whirlwind of all of the daily things that we are all surrounded by, which makes us not see the forest for the tree, you know? This isn't to say that I suddenly discovered the meaning and purpose of life and became Buddha-enlightened, but there were some things that I suddenly saw very clearly.

I saw the bigger picture of all that was: good, bad or indifferent, and I saw myself for what I see myself as; not definable by good/good/successful/failure or any other generalization - just as it is.

It was liberating in a way, because with this glimpse of clarity came appreciation for my surroundings. I am careful not to divide or characterize here (grouping into good, bad, poor, rich, friendly, social, successful, whatever), but to make a point that I made note of facts surrounding myself and about myself. Amplifying this 'enlightenment', the so-called moment of clarity was the fact that I was not bothered by my case of anxiety, which I've struggled with for about a decade now. As you may know, forms of anxiety may make you obsessively focus on what ifs and things that may or may not happen, thus not letting you see what's really important rather than the small issues that seem like doom and gloom in the throws of anxiety.

And so here I am, finally feeling like I have a greater overall long-term direction of where I'm going by virtue of knowing who I am and accepting it without question, kind of like Charles Bukowski, just without the drinking and gambling problems. I am not actively working to pursue happiness, because that approach is fundamentally wrong. If you're actively and relentlessly pursuing something, it will never come because as you make progress, it will never be enough - that's how we're wired. Instead, I have made an active and focused decision to do what I believe is right for me and people closest to me based on my fundamental values, interests and character traits. In doing so lies happiness.

And in closure, let me say one thing: money comes when you work on/for something that aligns with your moral values, ethics and interests - at least one of the three. Otherwise, it's meaningless work that is likely to repress a person not allowing them to grow as an individual.

TLDR: be honest with yourself, have a good moral compass and focus on people, actions, goals and values rather than things. Life will be much better regardless of financial means. Nothing makes my day more than helping people. And don't make a mistake - I'm just a guy and sometimes I'm an jerk. Sometimes I know that I am, others I do not. But helping people and being kind is probably the easiest thing that you can do to make your own life better.

And finally - I encourage you to do what you feel is right: morally, ethically, and right for YOU. Think, plan, but know that you can't plan for everything, so take the occasional leap and calculated risk. Chances are you'll land on your feet and you'll be better for it, having learned no matter the outcome.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:56 pm So I have been reflecting on the last 10 years of my life. So, let me say up front - this will be a reflective post made mostly of my rambling. Skip to TLDR at the end if so inclined.
you of all people deserve a full read, discertation paper, novel or brief article. this may sound cheesy, but it's been exhilerating reading about your experiences, moves, advancements, etc., over the years. having met you multiple times (not as many as watkins' mom), from the first time i met you, it felt like i had always known you, even though i barely know you.
I'm 35 now, and I feel that the past 10 years were, in a way, were more formative than your standard formative years growing up into a teenager - at least that's how I feel. I've learned a lot about myself. I'm learned about my character, my abilities, my limitations, my weaknesses and my strengths. And more importantly, I feel that for once I was able to not only consciously file and categorize this information, but also do something with it. Maybe even, hopefully, learn something from it.
way too tired to analyze this one... :oops:
There was a time in the last year or so when I was walking my dog that the finality of life dawned on me, but not in a morbid way; in a way that I suddenly came to factual reality of it all. It was like having life slow down for a few minutes to allow me to get some perspective on everything around me. I sort of came out of the whirlwind of all of the daily things that we are all surrounded by, which makes us not see the forest for the tree, you know? This isn't to say that I suddenly discovered the meaning and purpose of life and became Buddha-enlightened, but there were some things that I suddenly saw very clearly.

I saw the bigger picture of all that was: good, bad or indifferent, and I saw myself for what I see myself as; not definable by good/good/successful/failure or any other generalization - just as it is.
sounds like this is the case and you are able to see the forest for the trees. you also seem disciplined and motivated, which has most likely helped you not only with your professional endeavors, but personal ones too.
It was liberating in a way, because with this glimpse of clarity came appreciation for my surroundings. I am careful not to divide or characterize here (grouping into good, bad, poor, rich, friendly, social, successful, whatever), but to make a point that I made note of facts surrounding myself and about myself. Amplifying this 'enlightenment', the so-called moment of clarity was the fact that I was not bothered by my case of anxiety, which I've struggled with for about a decade now. As you may know, forms of anxiety may make you obsessively focus on what ifs and things that may or may not happen, thus not letting you see what's really important rather than the small issues that seem like doom and gloom in the throws of anxiety.
didn't realize you had high anxiety. might not be the right drug for it, but i find a supplement called SAM-e to help a lot with mood and things in general. get the blister packs (come in a box, can get fairly cheap on amazon) and i'd start with 200 mg; don't take more than 400 mg.
And so here I am, finally feeling like I have a greater overall long-term direction of where I'm going by virtue of knowing who I am and accepting it without question, kind of like Charles Bukowski, just without the drinking and gambling problems. I am not actively working to pursue happiness, because that approach is fundamentally wrong. If you're actively and relentlessly pursuing something, it will never come because as you make progress, it will never be enough - that's how we're wired. Instead, I have made an active and focused decision to do what I believe is right for me and people closest to me based on my fundamental values, interests and character traits. In doing so lies happiness.
now this is some deep $#!$#. probably never would've occurred to me... :shock: :twisted:
And in closure, let me say one thing: money comes when you work on/for something that aligns with your moral values, ethics and interests - at least one of the three. Otherwise, it's meaningless work that is likely to repress a person not allowing them to grow as an individual.
yeah, tell me about it. damn railroads won't hire me to save my life; don't want to be an innkeeper for life... :evil: :? :lol:
TLDR: be honest with yourself, have a good moral compass and focus on people, actions, goals and values rather than things. Life will be much better regardless of financial means. Nothing makes my day more than helping people. And don't make a mistake - I'm just a guy and sometimes I'm an jerk. Sometimes I know that I am, others I do not. But helping people and being kind is probably the easiest thing that you can do to make your own life better.

And finally - I encourage you to do what you feel is right: morally, ethically, and right for YOU. Think, plan, but know that you can't plan for everything, so take the occasional leap and calculated risk. Chances are you'll land on your feet and you'll be better for it, having learned no matter the outcome.
words of wisdom. i can picture you sharing your thoughts in your humble way (i know it may come across differently on here to those who haven't met you). you may not be perfect, but you seem better off than many (most?), and you're an inspiration. i'm not kissing your feet (butt? boiled beans??), but i think you deserve the recognition and vote of confidence. if anyone's given the chance to meet you, they shouldn't pass it up. now let's get another international SS meat in the works :!: :mrgreen: :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

In life,
it's the Journey that is important,
Not the destination.

(Warning - Sleeping under a headstone may be hazardous to your life.)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

China's GAC is Ready to Sell Cars in the USA

"We've even picked the perfect name for our company, that of the sound of a cat dislodging a hairball. We are going to pwn this market!"

https://www.autonews.com/detroit-auto-s ... ebut-looms
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

A call for Elkins WV just came across my screen.

It’s not too far from parsons!

And tony I skimmed your post, but I agree with a middle part. Where you said your 25-35 was more formative than the teens

I’ve done more growing up from 25-31 (I’m 31 now...)
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

GAC should introduce a model called the Koosh.

Full on 1990s Americana.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I had a broken crown repaired today....

now I know how they remove what was left of it...they grind it off!

Eye yam seriously numbed...prolly for hours. I should have gone out and eaten a big lunch today, because I'm really hungry now, but I'd bite my tongue, cheeks or lip if I tried to eat now.

This is a job for ........Al Cohol!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:57 pm Supra Returns!......Amish Need Not Get In Line.

https://www.autonews.com/detroit-auto-s ... ived-supra
Tool of the Devil, I say. Push it off a cliff and good riddance!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...