Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 pm If I lived in LI or wherever there might be ridiculous traffic, I’d just get the Accord with the CVT. Blasphemous, I know, but it is that good. If you’re not driving too much each year, I’d forego the hybrid and get the 1.5T. Try for the EX-L; settle for the EX or Sport.
Gross. I'd at least go 2.0T 10AT. The 2.0T Sport is vaguely on my list if I can't find anything with AWD that ticks the boxes. If Malcolm is worth less at the end of the lease than the residual that is.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:26 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 pm If I lived in LI or wherever there might be ridiculous traffic, I’d just get the Accord with the CVT. Blasphemous, I know, but it is that good. If you’re not driving too much each year, I’d forego the hybrid and get the 1.5T. Try for the EX-L; settle for the EX or Sport.
Gross. I'd at least go 2.0T 10AT. The 2.0T Sport is vaguely on my list if I can't find anything with AWD that ticks the boxes. If Malcolm is worth less at the end of the lease than the residual that is.
thought you might walk into that trap. Advice was mainly geared toward teamworm though. 1.5T is plenty powerful with its vtek (unlike the turbo civics that don’t have vtex). It’s true the sport 2.0t is based on the ex so has more goodies, but you’re paying a lot to
Have those goodies. I’d just get a 1.5T sport (if you must have Manuel at least), ex or ex-l and cal it a day.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd still go with the manual, personally, because CVTs are ewe.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:04 am I'd still go with the manual, personally, because CVTs are ewe.
this ones worth trying
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

I’ve found myself taking a vacation! In an airport headed to Florida. Gonna go be warm
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

wannabe87 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:17 pm I’ve found myself taking a vacation! In an airport headed to Florida. Gonna go be warm
Ewe. Florida! Gross.

Haha. Have fun. Watch out for the Silver Tsunami.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm
wannabe87 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:17 pm I’ve found myself taking a vacation! In an airport headed to Florida. Gonna go be warm
Ewe. Florida! Ermagerd!! Gross!!!

Haha. Have fun. Watch out for the Tower of Terror.
ftfy
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 pm I'm confused, Team, are you currently driving an Accord as a rental? The post makes it sound like you have some first hand knowledge about what's what.

WRT the tank size. If it's anything like the 2 Accords I've had there's a 17 gallon tank in there. In my 03 I waited until the light came on and then drove as far as I could before filling up. Lasted about 5 days and then I got paranoid and filled up. IIRC it took a little over 16 gallons.
Lost a long winded response ugh because my browser timed out. Got an '18 Accord LX for 1.5 weeks because my wife figured out a way to break her driver seat in her Civic hatchback EX. It's getting warrantied but the part is coming from Japan so therefore won't be done until next Saturday. My wife is a polar opposite of me when it comes to cars... she rather get taller (so suv) rather than longer (aka she hates this car). Since the GTI has been broken in a few occasions I've belong expert first hand knowledge/experience of the last gen Jetta and Passat :D. Not too sure again what's going on with the fuel tank or the premature shut off but I'd have to take a guess in saying this fuel tank is somewhere between 14-15 gallons. That seems a bit off to me as I didn't think anything in this class was below 15 gallons. We're still somehow doing 32-33 MPG in mixed driving with this thing-- super impressive. I've hand calculated the economy in the Civic EX hatch and she's doing 28-29 mpg in the same mixed driving routes.
If I lived in LI or wherever there might be ridiculous traffic, I’d just get the Accord with the CVT. Blasphemous, I know, but it is that good. If you’re not driving too much each year, I’d forego the hybrid and get the 1.5T. Try for the EX-L; settle for the EX or Sport.
Have to agree but I'd like to reserve judgement on the hybrid. If I didn't know cars or the spec sheets before I got into them I'd be pretty confused on what displacement size engine this is and what kind of transmission. I find the Honda CVT's to be programmed very well and paired with the engines it's silky smooth and consistent power delivery. I think this engine honestly is more than enough and while the 2.0L turbo is probably excellent I could be satisfied here. It's funny because size on exterior and interior this car reminds me a lot of my '17 Passat SE loaner but the engine and trans in that car is a complete mess. The 1.8L I couldn't do better then 25-26 mpg, it felt like it was out of breathe past 40 mph, and the transmission was very sloppy in 6 speed unit. If you were moving leisurely from a stop unless you depressed the accelerator more then 3/4's of the way it felt "bucky" at low speeds. I do feel like both the Accord and Passat handled and were balanced well though-- they were huge boats and drove like smaller cars. For this reason I was a bit skeptical about the performance of low displacement turbo 4's in these boats. Was trying to think what else is left that goes this route and I'd say only the rental car Malibu is left (RIP Fusion).

Really thought I was supposed to be surrendering my youth all the way and looking at Prius and Corolla hybrids... damn.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:53 pm
tankinbeans wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm
Ewe. Florida! Ermagerd!! Gross!!!

Haha. Have fun. Watch out for the Tower of Terror.
ftfy
You work hard and I bet you are nicer to some people than they deserve. I hope you enjoy your vacation and come home "Allah sonne-brund enne send enne scius" - you have to have something to keep folks from being mad jelly, right?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm waiting for the warmer weather and summer blend petrol so I can get back into the 30s for mileage. I've been stuck around 27 with the 2.5 (specced most similarly to the 1.5T you've been driving which is IIRC 192hp/192 torques).

Since the roads have started drying out I understand why I gravitate toward low slung vehicles. It's more fun to whip around, even at legal speeds. My Escape felt like a competent, but uninspired blob on wheels in similar circumstances.

EDIT: found the Accord specs for the 1.5T. Slightly better on both counts than Malcolm. Might look for a 1.5T, if all else fails and the features I want can't be found. Been driving for 15 years with FWD in Minnesota, I can continue to deal.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Teamwork wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 pm Image
Am I cross eyed, or are the pedals backward. It looks like the accelerator is on the left and the clutch and brake on the right?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

The big one is the dead pedal. The current gen is hardly any better.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:28 pm I'm waiting for the warmer weather and summer blend petrol so I can get back into the 30s for mileage. I've been stuck around 27 with the 2.5 (specced most similarly to the 1.5T you've been driving which is IIRC 192hp/192 torques).

Since the roads have started drying out I understand why I gravitate toward low slung vehicles. It's more fun to whip around, even at legal speeds. My Escape felt like a competent, but uninspired blob on wheels in similar circumstances.

EDIT: found the Accord specs for the 1.5T. Slightly better on both counts than Malcolm. Might look for a 1.5T, if all else fails and the features I want can't be found. Been driving for 15 years with FWD in Minnesota, I can continue to deal.
Yes, YES!!!! (Excellent!!)

1.5T in the accord is a work of wonder, despite the oil issues. The power delivery is different from that of a non-turbo ~2.5 liter 4 cylinder. In a way it feels more like a ~3 liter V6 from the early 2000s. The 1.5T in the civic and cr-v isn’t as impressive without the vtec. As teamwork mentioned, the accord is capable of better gas mileage. My sister and I took the ‘18 accord lx on a couple of road trips while she had it as a loaner while they were working on her ‘18 hybrid ex-l. We noticed some of the features the base lx lacked vs. the ex-l, but it didn’t feel like a penalty box. It drives just as well, if not better with the non-hybrid drivetrain. Gas mileage was within 10 mpg of what she would’ve been getting with the hybrid, at least most of the time. Thing was averaging 40mpg at times, but then dropped down to closer to 30 when we hit the mountains and cities. CVT didn’t feel like a stereotypical CVT most of the time, and the car felt more reaponsive and overall quicker than the hybrid. Hybrid takes some getting used to as it drives differently from a regular gas engine vehicle. Not only is the power delivery odd, but the sounds from the engine and drivetrain are different and inconsistent. You can put it into sport mode to keep the engine on. The interior is something to behold though, especially with the leather.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

now THAT's a nice car. always dug those older "real" alfas. yours is older but reminded me of this recent GT episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2NViJQAVxs