Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

Thankfully the bus came with the children pre-removed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Gonna make it into the adventurebus?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You mean Former-Schoolbus, right?

Good for Hugh.

Pics or it din happen.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Made in Sweden, right?

Gotta turbo and an Amish transmixer?
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 pm Gonna make it into the adventurebus?
Yup. Plan is to make it fully off-grid capable until the liquids run out. Solar power, 100ish gallon fresh water tank, dry flush toilet because there is no way I'm dealing with black water tanks, propane hot water and cooktop
Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:48 pm Made in Sweden, right?

Unless Freightliner is secretly Swedish, nope. It does have a 5.9 24 valve Cummins chugging along under the hood though. Unfortunately the one thing I really don't like is the transmission. Its an Allison at545, which is about as far from ideal as possible for a camper situation. Four gears, no overdrive, and no lockup torque converter. I'll need to keep a really close eye on the transmission temperatures.
Last edited by watkins on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:37 am
AHTOXA wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 pm Gonna make it into the adventurebus?
Yup. Plan is to make it fully off-grid capable until the liquids run out. Solar power, 100ish gallon fresh water tank, dry flush toilet because there is no way I'm dealing with black water tanks, propane hot water and cooktop

quote=Rope-Pusher post_id=386444 time=1564105715 user_id=5499]
Made in Sweden, right?

Unless Freightliner is secretly Swedish, nope. It does have a 5.9 24 valve Cummins chugging along under the hood though. Unfortunately the one thing I really don't like is the transmission. Its an Allison at545, which is about as far from ideal as possible for a camper situation. Four gears, no overdrive, and no lockup torque converter. I'll need to keep a really close eye on the transmission temperatures.
[/quote]
Mite that Cummins have same BoB Bolt Pattern as in Ram Truck? Ifso Fatso, you could look for an "Experienced" 6-speed Aisin AS68RC.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

little beast has been released into the wild of westchester. his replacement to be revealed soon. he's not amish either though...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:36 am little beast has been released into the wild of westchester. his replacement to be revealed soon. he's not amish either though...
Please say some flavor of Mazda.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:27 pm Mite that Cummins have same BoB Bolt Pattern as in Ram Truck? Ifso Fatso, you could look for an "Experienced" 6-speed Aisin AS68RC.
No idea. But there's no way I'm putting a manual in this thing. Its enough work to pay attention to the size of it as it is. I also don't want to waste floor space or prevent the wife from taking her turns behind the wheel.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I just realized that I should probably change my signature picture and update my cars.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:27 pm Mite that Cummins have same BoB Bolt Pattern as in Ram Truck? Ifso Fatso, you could look for an "Experienced" 6-speed Aisin AS68RC.
No idea. But there's no way I'm putting a manual in this thing. Its enough work to pay attention to the size of it as it is. I also don't want to waste floor space or prevent the wife from taking her turns behind the wheel.
No, it's a 6-speed slush-box. This is the trans they use to get the highest tow ratings in the 1 ton Ram Pick-m-Ups.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW adjusts warranty, adds money for ads
Moves try to improve relationships with buyers, dealers

"Volkswagen will scale back its industry-best 6-year/72,000-mile bumper- to-bumper warranty program to 4 years/50,000 miles, but throw in two years of factory-covered maintenance beginning with its 2020 model-year vehicles, Automotive News has learned."

(I'm Not sure how that will improve relationships with buyers.)

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/vw-adj ... -money-ads
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:54 pm
watkins wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm
No, it's a 6-speed slush-box. This is the trans they use to get the highest tow ratings in the 1 ton Ram Pick-m-Ups.
That makes more sense. Saw you and an A word and assumed "Amish" rather than reading "Aisin". I've heard good things about the Allison MT643 and it should also bolt right up. Most importantly its also a mechanical transmission, so no need to add wiring and 'puters.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Using Solar Cells as Hailstone Barriers: How solar panels can protect dealerships in Canada's Hailstorm Alley

In 2015 at his three dealerships in the heart of Alberta’s Hailstorm Alley, Garrett Scott felt Mother Nature’s wrath: 600 vehicles damaged with an average claim of $11,000.
“The hard part is just the value it knocks the vehicles down, about $5,000. It shows up in the Carfax report,” he said.

https://canada.autonews.com/retail/how- ... torm-alley?
utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190729&utm_content=article3-readmore
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:06 am
potownrob wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:36 am little beast has been released into the wild of westchester. his replacement to be revealed soon. he's not amish either though...
Please say some flavor of Mazda.
a frayed knot, it is a japan knees brand though. a lux surely won at that. gnaw eye halve two try too knot fall uh sleep wile driving...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.