Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:19 am
wannabe87 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:03 am Man I’m glad I don’t work at a dealership. Cars come in over night and weekends (holiday ones and regular) and placed haphazardly around the lot (i assume, cuz there’s 4 days of deliveries) and then you get in to a mess!

Also who names the car colors? Symphony (Hyundai) is not grey, should be brown or gold because wood instruments or brass. Hyundai has like 4-5 car colors for gray - symphony, coliseum, triathlon, machine and mineral. I’m sure I’ll find more as we go thru Hyundai calls. We picked up their rap program.

Electric is blue. Venetian is red. I would not have guessed for either of those. Thank goodness for google.
50 shades of grey?? What’s this world come to?!? At least more companies have a decent pearl white metallic color these days; used to be just the luxury brands with the pearl whites.
I used to think that Dodge took the caek on obtuse names for paint colors, but Hyundai has absconded with the baked goods this time.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

What about Green With Envy? Plum Crazy?

Lets not get to far in to Jeep colors. Bikini, Mojito!, Rhino......
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:04 pm What about Green With Envy? Plum Crazy?

Lets not get to far in to Jeep colors. Bikini, Mojito!, Rhino......
Back in the day, GM divisions often shared vehicle platforms, assembly plants and paint colors. I remember looking up some touch-up paint for my Potniac GOOLiE and seeing that each division had their own name for a given paint color.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Back in TX but wish I stayed in CO to be honest. What a great place.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 pm Back in TX but wish I stayed in CO to be honest. What a great place.
as long as you don't spend too much time in denver...

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm a bit miffed. Need to replace another tire within 6 weeks of the last. Nobody carries the size, which seems to be exclusive to Mazda, and nobody carries the specific tire. Multiple shops offered to orders full set of Potenzas, which I've liked in the past. I'm contemplating doing that and getting the road hazard protection.

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Stinks bro. That tire didn’t look to be in very good overall shape anyway. Tires ain’t cheap though...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:34 pm Stinks bro. That tire didn’t look to be in very good overall shape anyway. Tires ain’t cheap though...
I drove on it for about 2 miles before I finally pulled over. It was midnight and the road was poorly lit. I thought maybe I could limp it along to an exit, but the car was getting a bit wobbly. When I finally stopped the tire was hot to the touch. The tire itself had maybe 15k miles on it since I swap seasonally.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 am
potownrob wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:34 pm Stinks bro. That tire didn’t look to be in very good overall shape anyway. Tires ain’t cheap though...
I drove on it for about 2 miles before I finally pulled over. It was midnight and the road was poorly lit. I thought maybe I could limp it along to an exit, but the car was getting a bit wobbly. When I finally stopped the tire was hot to the touch. The tire itself had maybe 15k miles on it since I swap seasonally.
dude...that tire is texas toast. were the other tires hot too?? mine usually get at least warm after a few miles of driving. what kinda tire looks that bad after 15k miles of probably mostly commuting?? :shock: :? :evil:

forgot to mention, been having tire/tpms issues with both cars. big beast (altima) just got back from a 2 week vacation at the mechanic's. he wouldn't rotate the tires since the rear tires looked "choppy." shoulda gotten that alignment monro suggested when i got the tires a year ago, i guess :shock: :cry: :x . little beast had new tires put on the front last month and the rears are old - one is an original tire, and the other was replaced at a tire recycler a few months back when i hit a big pothole. original tire keeps setting off the tpms alarm and says its low, even though it isn't losing air pressure. checked lug nutz and they are tight. have to check and reset tpms system on average once a week. big beast won't let me reset tpms since it's an older system. that one went off when i added air after i first got the new tires. even airing back down won't turn off that big yellow light.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I didn't check the others, but this one was the one wrecked. I was continuing at 65, probably a bad idea but... I'm assuming the overall state of this one is as a direct consequence of my dumb decision to drive on it, but since it's toast either way it's irrelevant.

The fronts still look good.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Since your tires are an odd size, would it be better to change to a more common size with nearly the same diameter?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:40 pm Since your tires are an odd size, would it be better to change to a more common size with nearly the same diameter?
Would that mean a new set of rims? I've thought about it, but want to wait until I'm sure I'm keeping it.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

It could, if thats your thing. I upsized from 17s to 18s and went wider but kept the diameter almost identical for speedometer accuracy. You may be able to get a slightly wider or narrower tread with a different sidewall ratio that works.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

If I thought I could get away with it I'd do a -2 like my winter rims and tires, but I haven't shopped out decent rims. My Drags are showing wear with peeling paint and annoyance.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Eye'd keep the same (factory?) wheels and put tires with bigger sidewalls on them, then you can go offroading more easily. all kidding aside, if you run separate winter wheels and tyres, you could probably go slightly smaller sidewall on the stock wheels. lowriding on the cheap. don't go too much smaller though...