Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

Are the Honda guys swimming in faeces?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:17 am Are the Honda guys swimming in faeces?
Probably
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm
tankinbeans wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:17 am Are the Honda guys swimming in faeces?
Probably
It always cracks me up when I hear the BBC News featuring an article about "Poo". The Brits are typically so proper that I would expect them to refer to it as some formal or scientific term such as Scat, Feces, Faeces, Deffacation, Bowel Movements, etc., but they prefer "poo", as I would expect a kindergardener to use to describe it.

Speaking of which, follow this link to hear of a real "Poo Done It?" mystery:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-47604022
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 am A CVT is the transmission that your rental was equipped with. It is short for Continuously Variable Transmission and there are no set gear ratios. Its primary advantage is that, when done correctly, the transmission allows the engine to maintain an optimal speed for a given situation (acceleration, cruising, passing). An entire acceleration period can be done at a single RPM.
I had no issues with the CVT but it’s the newest car I’ve driven in 3-4 years. My parents got grandpa’s accord and my sisters don’t have me drive their civics.

I have nothing to compare it to.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe87 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:40 pm
tankinbeans wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 am A CVT is the transmission that your rental was equipped with. It is short for Continuously Variable Transmission and there are no set gear ratios. Its primary advantage is that, when done correctly, the transmission allows the engine to maintain an optimal speed for a given situation (acceleration, cruising, passing). An entire acceleration period can be done at a single RPM.
I had no issues with the CVT but it’s the newest car I’ve driven in 3-4 years. My parents got grandpa’s accord and my sisters don’t have me drive their civics.

I have nothing to compare it to.
As a singularity, it's the Best, the Worst and About Average, all at the same time.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Finally got around to test driving a 2.0 Accord Sport. Did like, but numbers are bad...

Edit: on second thought the clutch was rubbery and the throws super long. That said the car is ginormous.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I have finally confirmed that the Jeep doesn't mind towing. Put about 2100 pounds behind it (that little 1200 lb capacity Harbor Freight trailer is a champ) and it did quite well both acceleration and braking. Being a two door, the tow rating is only 2000 lbs, but I see no reason that it couldn't handle significantly more assuming tongue weight is kept in check and the trailer has brakes.

On the topic of that trailer... Adding up the total towed weight made me realize for the first time just how heavy the trailer is. In pounds, the trailer is 253, spare tire is 20, deck is 45, and the sides are probably 140. Add on my intensely over-engineered wiring harness that I upgraded to 7 pin, reverse lights, extended fenders, and quite a lot of assorted hardware/brackets and I can comfortably say it weighs over 500 lbs. Considering I can pretty easily pick up the rear and pivot it on a hitch, I'm quite surprised.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 pm Finally got around to test driving a 2.0 Accord Sport. Did like, but numbers are bad...

Edit: on second thought the clutch was rubbery and the throws super long. That said the car is ginormous.
y u no test out 1.5 sport? numbers should be much moar aggressive on 1.5 models. no keith moon roof or keyless entry though. :o :? :evil: :arrow: :twisted: 8)

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

The oil dilution issues keep me away, especially since it seems to be an inherent design flaw.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Pretty sure it’s an inherent design flaw of many turbo engines. What makes you think the 2.0T is better; it could easily just be that there are far fewer examples of that engine out there. Either way, it’s probably blown out of proportion, like most things.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 am Pretty sure it’s an inherent design flaw of many turbo engines. What makes you think the 2.0T is better; it could easily just be that there are far fewer examples of that engine out there. Either way, it’s probably blown out of proportion, like most things.
You could very well be correct, but I've not read anything thing about the problem cropping up in the 2.0T. This might not mean much, but at least it's one data point.

Also, I have yet to locate a dealer who has a 1.5T 6MT in stock to try out. They're all CVTs in stock up here and I'm just not interested.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:34 am
potownrob wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 am Pretty sure it’s an inherent design flaw of many turbo engines. What makes you think the 2.0T is better; it could easily just be that there are far fewer examples of that engine out there. Either way, it’s probably blown out of proportion, like most things.
You could very well be correct, but I've not read anything thing about the problem cropping up in the 2.0T. This might not mean much, but at least it's one data point.

Also, I have yet to locate a dealer who has a 1.5T 6MT in stock to try out. They're all CVTs in stock up here and I'm just not interested.
That stinks. We have boatloads of manual 1.5 sports up in here. Maybe you need to try for a dealer trade or wait for one to come in. I remember having to wait a few weeks for one to come in when I got my 2015 sport.

https://youtu.be/QQPUaeDZOzY
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Pregunta: one of my tires just came into its SECOND puncture in 3 weeks; this one too close to the sidewall to repair (the fact that it's a second wound notwithstanding). Can I get away with just replacing the one, or should I do a pair? The tire shops that are open gave conflicting answers. Malcolm is FWD.

Next Frage: I found a set of summer only tires for $130 a pop. Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. If I can't find another example of the Dunlop 5000 and end up needing to replace the whole kitten canoodle, would these be a good idea? I still have a fair amount of beef on the Michelins for winter.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:31 pm Pregunta: one of my tires just came into its SECOND puncture in 3 weeks; this one too close to the sidewall to repair (the fact that it's a second wound notwithstanding). Can I get away with just replacing the one, or should I do a pair? The tire shops that are open gave conflicting answers. Malcolm is FWD.

Next Frage: I found a set of summer only tires for $130 a pop. Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. If I can't find another example of the Dunlop 5000 and end up needing to replace the whole kitten canoodle, would these be a good idea? I still have a fair amount of beef on the Michelins for winter.
lets see if rope or someone else answers, but I’d imagine it should be ok if you rotate the odd pair to the back. That’s what they usually do with mine. Surprised the Michelins from the old 3 are big enough for the 6 - doesn’t the 6 take bigger tires??
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

The overall diameter is the same and the bolt pattern identical. I'd rather just replace the one and then get better winter tires when the time comes, but might not happen.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport