Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

Ms. Frizzle is coming due soon. She's been getting the 5k treatment as well since it's much easier to remember and I'm mildly obsessive about getting it done. The longest I've gone intentionally was 8500 in Clifford; the "change oil you schmuck" indicator hadn't come on and I got antsy.

That's also the reason my car rarely sees less than half tank of petrol.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Major ass prat here. What a nutbutter dingdongle.

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

And then theres me with my religious 3k mile oil changes even with full synthetic. Realistically I could probably push it as far as 5k miles, but I dont care. Better clean than not, especially in an engine prone to sludge (thanks GM). When I get a new car Ill probably do 5k mile OCIs.

The wife's car ('11 Mazda 2) gets 5-6k mile oil changes because she spends so much time sitting in traffic that the oil gets quite a bit more use than the mileage alone indicates.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote:Major ass prat here. What a nutbutter dingdongle.

This is all over the web lol... that's a pretty legit hair pin if I've ever seen one. I feel like it's only a matter of time before more videos like this come out. I like how the car club dis-associated themselves instantly from this guy. I'm pretty sure if this was "Long Island Stangs" they would be selling this for publicity. Car still hits all the right buttons for me to get jealous... I'd take this over a Golf R 10/10 times without blinking an eye. Probably 8/10 times against a dated EJ STI.

I'm moving up to 7-8k OCI on the basis of results from the first two analysis. That's probably as long as I'd go and still feel comfortable with regardless of any further results telling me otherwise.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm very knowledgeable about the limits to my driving ability and wouldn't have attempted that. I love that noise though.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:And then theres me with my religious 3k mile oil changes even with full synthetic. Realistically I could probably push it as far as 5k miles, but I dont care. Better clean than not, especially in an engine prone to sludge (thanks GM).
Wikipedia seems to indicate that your '99 has an original Saab engine and GM didn't switch it to a corporate engine until 2003. What am I missing?

Anyway, with an aging turbo engine it's certainly wise to have shorter OCIs if you're not going to get an analysis done...though an analysis would likely pay for itself pretty quickly, as well as providing useful information to someone who's that concerned about engine internal longevity. Seriously, invest the $50 or whatever it is.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Related/Unrelated this is the first turbo car I've ever owned and the first one since my dad purchased a brand new Isuzu Impulse sometime in the mid 80's. That car literally lasted for 30k before catastrophic engine failure/turbo blown so the bar is set pretty low. I'm going to ride the black stone analysis one more time at this 7-8k interval and probably let that dictate where I go. Down the line should I get another analysis at say 50k and see where I'm at for more frequent OCI's? Anything else I should inquire about turbo/DI 4's aside from not to lug the engine and floor it in a high gear?

What's all stances on how to treat shutting the car down and starting up? I notice the car "fast idles" for about a minute or two and I don't drive it until it goes down to normal RPM's. If I was doing one of my 35 mile consecutive stretches with a mix of highway/city usage I will let the car idle for momentarily for about a minute before actually shutting it down. I know it has a post regeneration cycle to cool the engine post shut down but I feel like opinions are mixed about how good of a job it does as opposed to letting it idle for a little before shutting it down.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm curious about this as well, but from what I've read letting it run for a minute after driving isn't really necessary unless you've been caning it hard. If you've been driving around the city during normal errands the heat build-up is minimal.

Then again Ms. Frizzle is my first turbo as well so...YMMV

As Cow is wont to say, these cars are built for morons who don't pay much heed to longevity. They'll withstand normal derpiness.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
MH86
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 VW Jetta SE

Post by MH86 »

tankinbeans wrote:I'm curious about this as well, but from what I've read letting it run for a minute after driving isn't really necessary unless you've been caning it hard. If you've been driving around the city during normal errands the heat build-up is minimal.

Then again Ms. Frizzle is my first turbo as well so...YMMV

As Cow is wont to say, these cars are built for morons who don't pay much heed to longevity. They'll withstand normal derpiness.
I was actually wondering about that as well, since I too am on my first turbo car (aside from a Cruze I only had for a few months back in 2011). I'd have to assume that they were designed with the non-enthusiast in mind who shuts down the car immediately. When possible, I still let the car idle for a minute before shutting off, although it's probably pointless.

As for the oil change interval, I think I'm going to wait the full 10k on mine, while checking the oil periodically. I just hit 3000 miles the other day and it feels weird to not be scheduling an oil change yet (the Rogue I had before this car had 3750 mile oil change intervals, as did most Nissans of that year). I'd have to imagine that they created these intervals with the typical car-clueless person in mind.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

found a reddit thread ya'll may enjoy... https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comm ... re/d7clg2z its an ask reddit for "non americans what is it about american culture that makes you laugh" found a thread about how no one has a stick shift, yet a lot of stick owners came out of the woodwork
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:Isuzu
Found the problem.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:
Teamwork wrote:Isuzu
Found the problem.
The überbad days of General Malaise?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:The überbad days of General Malaise?
Naw, just Isuzu.

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
watkins wrote:And then theres me with my religious 3k mile oil changes even with full synthetic. Realistically I could probably push it as far as 5k miles, but I dont care. Better clean than not, especially in an engine prone to sludge (thanks GM).
Wikipedia seems to indicate that your '99 has an original Saab engine and GM didn't switch it to a corporate engine until 2003. What am I missing?
The B204 and B234 (2.0 and 2.3 liter) engines were first introduced in the second generation 900 and the 9000, which both have GM involvement. Both are derived from Saab engines from the early 80s. They run using the T5 engine management system. These are considered to be good to well over 400hp on stock internals.

The second generation versions, the B205 and B235, use a newer T7 engine management and a nearly identical block to the B204 and B234. These are generally referred to as the GM engines, because it was to a large extent The General's involvement in their redesign that caused many issues. A change in rotating assembly and cylinder head designs lead to marginally better fuel economy with a hit to longevity and strength and the addition of a PCV issue which made the B2X5 prone to sludge. Most B2X5 engines cant really handle above 350hp comfortably on stock internals.

Mechanics lesson aside, the B235 was introduced in 1999 in the USDM in the 9-5 and the B205 in 2000 in the 9-3. The Viggen, however, uses the larger B235 and T7 for its entire run as opposed to the B204/T5 or B205/T7 usually in place in the 9-3.

The B235 lived on all the way until the last of the first generation 9-5 in 2009. This is why I intend to get a '06-'09 9-5 wagon as my next vehicle. I know the engine well and I know what it can take.

Once the Sports Sedan 9-3 was released in 2003, the B205 only existed in the carryover convertible for the one year, which was still the original 9-3 platform. The other engines were developed using turbo experience from Saab to make the Ecotec.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Major ass prat here. What a nutbutter dingdongle.

eye live half an hour from there, and used to drive up the hill regularly when i went to school in new paltz. it may not be easy to see from the video, pics or a map, but if you don't slow down a LOT for that turn, you could easily end up off the road. :shock: :? :twisted: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.