Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:
Teamwork wrote:Today (6/15) is my birthday!!! 8)
Bon anniversaire en retard! (retard means "late" or "belated" in French, this isn't an insult :lol: )

Tony, SoCal could be fun. Work trip there? Or different job?
tankinbeans wrote:Well, my gran's life force packs have run out. Not sure how I'm supposed to feel as we were never close.
Oddly satisfying way to describe something that isn't usually fun. Though I totally get your feeling. When one of my grandmothers passed away a few years back, I had been moderately close to her, but still didn't feel that strongly about it. Yes, I miss seeing her a couple of times a year, but it wasn't like my dog died or anything. I think the distance and non-interaction contributes to that.

But others' opinions are correct, they are your feelings. The outward appearance of being sad isn't bad even if it's only slightly true for the familial obligations, but there are things that affect people in different ways. *shrug*

Honorable mention to RP with one of the oldest jokes about old people and cars. :lol:
Started a new job.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Started a new job.
New permanent in SoCal job or just new job in Te-has that required you to travel to SoCal?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:
New permanent in SoCal job or just new job in Te-has that required you to travel to SoCal?
The job itself is in Dallas, which is where I live. It just so happened that the office itself and most people in it are being moved to Texas from California. I was hired on as management-level so I'm helping with the transition of associates from California to Dallas. Once that's done I'll be based in Dallas and will remain there permanently.

In the meantime, hanging out in San Diego isn't all that bad.

Edit. Even though SoCal is quite awesome, after almost 2 straight months here, I do miss the hell out of my dog, my motorcycle and the girl I've been seeing. In that order. :lol:
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:
Squint wrote:
The job itself is in Dallas, which is where I live. It just so happened that the office itself and most people in it are being moved to Texas from California. I was hired on as management-level so I'm helping with the transition of associates from California to Dallas. Once that's done I'll be based in Dallas and will remain there permanently.

In the meantime, hanging out in San Diego isn't all that bad.

Edit. Even though SoCal is quite awesome, after almost 2 straight months here, I do miss the hell out of my dog, my motorcycle and the girl I've been seeing. In that order. :lol:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
https://youtu.be/KkGNN7V5NUY
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

had a guy with a 2000 harley davidson 1200s sport sportster....he just got it out of the shop, and wasn't used to the power and laid it down and broke parts so had to have it towed back to the shop.

while i don't ride bike, maybe you should learn to harness the bike's power NOT on streets? Like find an undeveloped neighborhood or a track?? (kimberly drive and havemeyer st in north port florida. Fully paved, both sides of i 75, but NO HOUSES. kinda weird. took a call near there once, someone had land they were having a cook out on....still weird!)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

wannabe wrote:had a guy with a 2000 harley davidson 1200s sport sportster....he just got it out of the shop, and wasn't used to the power and laid it down and broke parts so had to have it towed back to the shop.

while i don't ride bike, maybe you should learn to harness the bike's power NOT on streets? Like find an undeveloped neighborhood or a track?? (kimberly drive and havemeyer st in north port florida. Fully paved, both sides of i 75, but NO HOUSES. kinda weird. took a call near there once, someone had land they were having a cook out on....still weird!)
Sometimes it is not so simple. Sand, pea gravel from a construction truck, diesel fuel, coolant, wet leaves, etc. There are plenty of situations that will take out a bike and which are not apparent to car drivers. Doesn't take much or sometimes any throttle. Plenty of stories where folks haven't been doing anything stupid or unusual. One minute you're rolling, next second you're sliding.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:There are plenty of situations that will take out a bike and which are not apparent to car drivers. Doesn't take much or sometimes any throttle. Plenty of stories where folks haven't been doing anything stupid or unusual. One minute you're rolling, next second you're sliding.
...and this is why I don't do motorcycles. Too vulnerable to normal, common conditions no matter how perfect the operator is.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

We just had a discussion at work today about motorcycle life and ownership. I've lost a high school friend in college from a motorcycle accident so it kind of steered me away from that path. I think anyone that rides them in NY or even rides a bicycle in the street has to be borderline crazy.

In other news my A/C has been acting up as usual during the heatwave in the north east. What I've noticed today which seems odd is I had basically set to the coldest setting, blowing at speed 5 or 6, and recirculating and it was lukewarm at best. I was crawling in traffic and got a pretty big gap to the highway entrance ramp. I rev matched and downshifted a gear and it was like it turned on/opened up the compressor for the A/C. It started blowing really cold air noticeably after... and I also noticed that when I was up shifting from this point forward that my rev's were dropping noticeably faster then what I'm "used too". I was bogging every up shift unless I consciously lifted up the clutch faster and added more throttle. Not too sure if these are symptoms of something or just a coincidence but I didn't touch anything HVAC from that point forward. I'm getting really tired of this intermittent A/C issue... the next appointment is Saturday 7/9 and unscheduled appointment #3 in 11 months.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:There are plenty of situations that will take out a bike and which are not apparent to car drivers. Doesn't take much or sometimes any throttle. Plenty of stories where folks haven't been doing anything stupid or unusual. One minute you're rolling, next second you're sliding.
...and this is why I don't do motorcycles. Too vulnerable to normal, common conditions no matter how perfect the operator is.
And there is no wrong choice here, because it is a very personal matter with a very real risk. Having said that, risk has plenty of rewards. Dealing with risk successfuly (by using calculated risk, preventative measures and luck) makes many people feel alive and rewarded. Perception of being is elevated and so is appreciation for life as a whole, even in regards to little things.

I suffer with a good dose of health axiety, which triggers panic attacks where I get extremely hypochondriac with very real physical symptoms. But an interesting thing happens when I ride - I don't think about some dumb, far fetched disease that I might die of. No, I don't think about death at all. I live, live during the given moment. Do not think of dangers of riding? Of course I do and often times before I set off for the day I mutter to myself "not today, mother effers", but once I take off, I'm on a different zone. I educated myself - formally - on riding techniques, I read a lot on top of that and typically practice some of the techniques every day I ride. Sure, I might still get seriously hurt or killed, but I accept it. I'm going to do all I can to mitigate it, but I accept it, for some of the biggest risks can offer some of the biggest rewards.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW to fit filters to clean up gasoline engines
Direct-injection engines displaced older gasoline port-injection engines because of superior fuel efficiency. However gasoline direct-injection engines have the disadvantage that there is less time for the gasoline to mix with the air in the combustion chamber. This incomplete mixing leads to a substantially higher output of toxic particulate matter.

Starting in September 2017, all new gasoline-powered vehicles in the EU will have to reduce their particulate matter levels to a tenth of the previous amount under the upcoming Euro 6c regulation.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016062 ... ne-engines
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Get that old crate outta here!

https://www.wearmopar.com/wear-mopar/it ... A72251742N
site wrote:100% natural plywood
Did that come from a plywood tree?
What do you mean? An African or European plywood tree?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

hey tony, you used to off road, right?

What does a 0-10 grade mean? I had a member in lime creek colorado, he said he was 3 feet down a bank. the 006 (colorado) club said that if he's 3 feet down a 0-10 grade it may be out of pocket. we don't have much rock crawling off roading here, only mudding...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

wannabe wrote:hey tony, you used to off road, right?

What does a 0-10 grade mean? I had a member in lime creek colorado, he said he was 3 feet down a bank. the 006 (colorado) club said that if he's 3 feet down a 0-10 grade it may be out of pocket. we don't have much rock crawling off roading here, only mudding...
That might be referring to 4WD trail ratings but I'm not entirely positive. 1-4 is considered easy, 5-7 moderate, and 8-9 difficult... 10 is basically that movie dante's peak with Pierce Brosnan.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

wannabe wrote:hey tony, you used to off road, right?

First thing I thought of is the grade (slope) of road/surface where he was, as that can affect recovery greatly. It doesn't seem to fit exactly what you're describing though.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650