Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

Ich gratuliere dich, AHTOXA!

On a side note, I'm itchy to put my summers back on...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:
Teamwork wrote: I've been on plenty of interviews, different stage/tier interviews for big banks where they sweat you out, group interviews where you physically sit with your competition and have a pissing match on why you're better then them, and the traditional one on one's with a recruiter.
lol wut?!? :shock: :lol: :?:
I respect anyone who puts fourth the effort to make a change in their career and life, ultimately. It's a lot of stress, a lot of preparation, and a lot of work. A lot of people will settle and "be satisfied" in middle management just because they know to make the change- so much has to be done. Kudo's man, and goodluck.
totally hear you. i should be in a real job by now. too lazy and the economy is kinda bad too.
Yeah, it was when I was younger but I know that they do occur on higher levels as well. In my example I was basically 18-19 years old applying for a part-time position in a "mainstream" clothing retail store and I went on a group interview and the supervisor/manager who was present basically asked us all basic questions in an organized order and then proceeded to ask (based on the answers and information presented) why you felt like you were a better fit for the job then <someone they point to>. I was a lot more nervous, scared, and anxious about things when I was this young but man was I really uncomfortable during this process. I kind of still naturally hate today identifying with any competition for the same position.
Phone interviews are quite general. They are basically screening you to make sure that it wasn't someone else that wrote your resume and that you're able to string a sentence together. The many that I've done, there's usually talk about the organization and what they bring and offer along with overview of your resume and skills. In-person is a lot more detailed, of course.

I don't believe in buzzwords. I hate them, actually, even though I occasionally end up using one or two here and there, just from hearing them around the office all the time. I guess I have never actively thought about what or how I'm going to say; it just depends on the questions, the scenario and most importantly, on the vibe I get from the person I'm talking to. I suppose I find myself altering the conversation just a little bit based on what kind of 'feeling' I get from the person on the other line. So, I might get more aggressive, more conservative or even slightly overconfident if I feel like they'd respond well to that. I guess I interview well in general. My interview-to-offer ratio is good.
I just got done with mine. It was 40 minutes long to a tee. I was actually generally surprised by the amount of questions and the caliber of questions. I went on preparing and making cheat sheets and notes as if this was an in-person interview because that's all I've ever done before. I get it that this was a screening process but a lot of the questions were 'scenario' based and they questioned me every step of the way in my current position in terms how I manage my time and success level. It didn't really take me back much because I was prepared but if I went in really light about this I might've been blind sided.

Before that it was the basic pleasantries and "universal questions" of 'describe yourself a bit to me' and 'how did you hear about us?'. The next question following these two which didn't set the tone of how this was going what so ever was a really elaborate, drawn out, technical scenario question involving what this business offers and to a direct client. They wanted to know how I would handle the process, the objections if any, and how I would ensure quality. I felt like it was two jabs and a really hard uppercut but I believe I presented and portrayed myself well. I kept my vocal tone- inviting and consistent and let in personality when it was allowed for. Besides the technical scenario based stuff they asked me: "how I sold myself or an idea to something unrelated to my business/resume to a friend or a family member?" In this instance, I used the relevant scenario that I had a lot of non-believers and objections from friends and family when I was considering buying a Volkswagen. I listed strengths of the vehicle and how it catered to who I am as an individual and how I thought it was the best possible fit for myself. I was also asked, "what motivated me day to day?". I even countered the question since it was so general and I asked if she was referring to life or business? I answered both in the sense that I love learning about anything and everything and I'm like a sponge that wants to absorb as much knowledge as I can. I referenced how I was in the process of learning manual transmission and really take pride and satisfaction in learning the art/trade. In business, I am motivated to being a vital asset to a team and a facilitator to the brand and love when brands believe in their products and services.

About buzzwords, I think I put too much emphasis on it but what I meant to reference is that they are looking for "key words" to being used in relation to yourself and the company. I know for where I am currently employed they told me out right that they were looking for 'passionate' people so when I interviewed I tried to use the word in a relevant relation at least once. For a phone interview, I've worked in radio before and know it's really important to be a "talker" (especially if the position emphasizes communication roles) so I tried my best to give really lengthy, in depth responses, without pausing or having "dead air" (silence). I typically try and sense where a conversation is flowing to and try and stay a step ahead of the interviewer since the questions presented usually are prompted within recourse. I definitely felt like I was thrown a few curve balls but I was able to have enough prep to ride out a genuine (if maybe vague) answer, at the worst.

I've been on two interviews so far and I'd probably give myself the critical ratings of a 9-9.5 out of 10 for the in-person one and a 7.5-8 out of 10 for this phone one. This phone one could've been a real disaster if I didn't go in knowing my numbers and doing extensive research about the company and the clientele. I didn't portray myself as an overly confident person in terms of the functions/in's-out's of the software and products for this company and I even encouraged the interviewer to correct me where I was wrong but I really don't foresee how many people who were interviewed could be deemed "experts" in it. I tread lightly which isn't really my style but I needed genuinely more knowledge and said if I was chosen for the said position that I would learn, adapt, and grow comfortable with all of the functions and offerings of every last product. For the in person interview for a promotion position within one of the companies I would for already- I was comfortable and extremely confident. I could afford to be since I knew the in's and out's and I had the experience and the results that this company was looking for directly. It was honestly, one of the best interviews I've ever provided and I'm not the type of person to say such things for the sake of feeling better or boosting morale. I'm overly critical of myself and how I perform when a company is investing in me.

I really felt like I needed to vent out- sorry. I don't know if I feel worse before or after all of this because it's all so much up in the air as I knew it would be. I kind of wish I could fast forward portions of life like this out so I just know what happens at the end because in the next few days I'm going to be super anxious and nervous about my conducting of business. I have another interview to go on next week... I'm unsure of what I'd do if multiple businesses accepted me as their candidate... how would I ask for more time to decide? Which one should I go with if compensation is similar?

:oops:
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

tankinbeans wrote:On a side note, I'm itchy to put my summers back on...
i mean, i know you're in MN, but why not? It is almost april, do you get normal snow showers in april?

I think my housemate switched his tires out....he got an air compressor (nice and loud, too) so he could re-do-do (!?) his brakes whithout much harm to his hands/tools....he's been having issues with working on them. we don't have a garage, so he does it out in the elements, with hanging bare-bulb lights (in a cage, but still) in the dark. I've offered my hands if need a spare pair (they are smaller than his)...but i've not been asked yet.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

theholycow wrote:Some people (and some entire cultures) use "jeep" as a synonym for SUV.
this is true.

tony - congrats. i wouldn't be able to do management. glad you're getting somewhere you like/want.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I might just do it and risk it. If nothing else the Buick is around if a freak storm should occur. It's not uncommon to get freak storms into late May.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
It's not uncommon to get freak storms into late May.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Money for Nothin'

HOW TO WIN A THOUSAND BUCKS
The Southwest Research Institute is holding an essay contest for college students, both undergrad and grad. First prize is one thousand dollars. All you have to do is write a 2,000 word essay that answers two questions. First: How do you envision the city of the future will address transportation through new mobility technologies? And second: How can existing and future intelligent transportation systems benefit from Big Data and analytics? The deadline is May 6th and you can get more details at the website ITSAstudentessay@swri.org. You also get an all expenses paid trip to San Jose California for the ITS conference.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Most U.S. car headlights are marginal or poor, insurance group says
Government rules allow for significant variation in the amount of illumination that headlights provide in actual on-road driving, IIHS said.

Of 31 midsize models it tested, 11 earned an acceptable rating, nine were rated marginal and 10 were poor. The Prius V was rated good when equipped with optional LED headlights and a feature that turns off high beams when there is an oncoming car.

Vehicles getting acceptable ratings include the Audi A3, Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima. Vehicles with poor ratings include the Kia Optima, Chevrolet Malibu and Volkswagen Passat.

Many luxury vehicles have poor-rated headlights, and many cars only get higher ratings with option packages. For example, the base Prius V, which has halogen lights, gets a poor rating.

A 2007 NHTSA report found that 49 percent of passenger traffic deaths occur at night, while 25 percent of driving occurs at night. It's not clear how much the fatality rate is related to lighting, versus driver behavior at night like speeding or intoxication.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016033 ... news-daily
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote:
Teamwork wrote: I've been on plenty of interviews, different stage/tier interviews for big banks where they sweat you out, group interviews where you physically sit with your competition and have a pissing match on why you're better then them, and the traditional one on one's with a recruiter.
I respect anyone who puts fourth the effort to make a change in their career and life, ultimately. It's a lot of stress, a lot of preparation, and a lot of work. A lot of people will settle and "be satisfied" in middle management just because they know to make the change- so much has to be done. Kudo's man, and goodluck.
totally hear you. i should be in a real job by now. too lazy and the economy is kinda bad too.
Yeah, it was when I was younger but I know that they do occur on higher levels as well. In my example I was basically 18-19 years old applying for a part-time position in a "mainstream" clothing retail store and I went on a group interview and the supervisor/manager who was present basically asked us all basic questions in an organized order and then proceeded to ask (based on the answers and information presented) why you felt like you were a better fit for the job then <someone they point to>. I was a lot more nervous, scared, and anxious about things when I was this young but man was I really uncomfortable during this process. I kind of still naturally hate today identifying with any competition for the same position.
Phone interviews are quite general. They are basically screening you to make sure that it wasn't someone else that wrote your resume and that you're able to string a sentence together. The many that I've done, there's usually talk about the organization and what they bring and offer along with overview of your resume and skills. In-person is a lot more detailed, of course.

I don't believe in buzzwords. I hate them, actually, even though I occasionally end up using one or two here and there, just from hearing them around the office all the time. I guess I have never actively thought about what or how I'm going to say; it just depends on the questions, the scenario and most importantly, on the vibe I get from the person I'm talking to. I suppose I find myself altering the conversation just a little bit based on what kind of 'feeling' I get from the person on the other line. So, I might get more aggressive, more conservative or even slightly overconfident if I feel like they'd respond well to that. I guess I interview well in general. My interview-to-offer ratio is good.
I just got done with mine. It was 40 minutes long to a tee. I was actually generally surprised by the amount of questions and the caliber of questions. I went on preparing and making cheat sheets and notes as if this was an in-person interview because that's all I've ever done before. I get it that this was a screening process but a lot of the questions were 'scenario' based and they questioned me every step of the way in my current position in terms how I manage my time and success level. It didn't really take me back much because I was prepared but if I went in really light about this I might've been blind sided.

Before that it was the basic pleasantries and "universal questions" of 'describe yourself a bit to me' and 'how did you hear about us?'. The next question following these two which didn't set the tone of how this was going what so ever was a really elaborate, drawn out, technical scenario question involving what this business offers and to a direct client. They wanted to know how I would handle the process, the objections if any, and how I would ensure quality. I felt like it was two jabs and a really hard uppercut but I believe I presented and portrayed myself well. I kept my vocal tone- inviting and consistent and let in personality when it was allowed for. Besides the technical scenario based stuff they asked me: "how I sold myself or an idea to something unrelated to my business/resume to a friend or a family member?" In this instance, I used the relevant scenario that I had a lot of non-believers and objections from friends and family when I was considering buying a Volkswagen. I listed strengths of the vehicle and how it catered to who I am as an individual and how I thought it was the best possible fit for myself. I was also asked, "what motivated me day to day?". I even countered the question since it was so general and I asked if she was referring to life or business? I answered both in the sense that I love learning about anything and everything and I'm like a sponge that wants to absorb as much knowledge as I can. I referenced how I was in the process of learning manual transmission and really take pride and satisfaction in learning the art/trade. In business, I am motivated to being a vital asset to a team and a facilitator to the brand and love when brands believe in their products and services.

About buzzwords, I think I put too much emphasis on it but what I meant to reference is that they are looking for "key words" to being used in relation to yourself and the company. I know for where I am currently employed they told me out right that they were looking for 'passionate' people so when I interviewed I tried to use the word in a relevant relation at least once. For a phone interview, I've worked in radio before and know it's really important to be a "talker" (especially if the position emphasizes communication roles) so I tried my best to give really lengthy, in depth responses, without pausing or having "dead air" (silence). I typically try and sense where a conversation is flowing to and try and stay a step ahead of the interviewer since the questions presented usually are prompted within recourse. I definitely felt like I was thrown a few curve balls but I was able to have enough prep to ride out a genuine (if maybe vague) answer, at the worst.

I've been on two interviews so far and I'd probably give myself the critical ratings of a 9-9.5 out of 10 for the in-person one and a 7.5-8 out of 10 for this phone one. This phone one could've been a real disaster if I didn't go in knowing my numbers and doing extensive research about the company and the clientele. I didn't portray myself as an overly confident person in terms of the functions/in's-out's of the software and products for this company and I even encouraged the interviewer to correct me where I was wrong but I really don't foresee how many people who were interviewed could be deemed "experts" in it. I tread lightly which isn't really my style but I needed genuinely more knowledge and said if I was chosen for the said position that I would learn, adapt, and grow comfortable with all of the functions and offerings of every last product. For the in person interview for a promotion position within one of the companies I would for already- I was comfortable and extremely confident. I could afford to be since I knew the in's and out's and I had the experience and the results that this company was looking for directly. It was honestly, one of the best interviews I've ever provided and I'm not the type of person to say such things for the sake of feeling better or boosting morale. I'm overly critical of myself and how I perform when a company is investing in me.

I really felt like I needed to vent out- sorry. I don't know if I feel worse before or after all of this because it's all so much up in the air as I knew it would be. I kind of wish I could fast forward portions of life like this out so I just know what happens at the end because in the next few days I'm going to be super anxious and nervous about my conducting of business. I have another interview to go on next week... I'm unsure of what I'd do if multiple businesses accepted me as their candidate... how would I ask for more time to decide? Which one should I go with if compensation is similar?

:oops:
Don't worry too much. Do the interview and just be yourself. Prepare, sure. Do the research about the company before they talk to you. I mean, if they don't like you for what you bring to the table - personally and professionally - then you probably don't want to work there anyway. For example, I leave the beard on when I go interview. That's who I am so it stays.

As far as deciding between jobs. Pit them against each other. If you like both equally, tell each that you have a competitive offer. If they want you, they will throw more money and other incentives your way. In many cases they will openly ask if you have other pending offers or prospects. Some will do that to avoid playing games and likely giving you a better offer upfront to entice you.

Whatever you do, never take the first offer. It's like buying a car without negotiating. There is always roof for negotiation unless you're going for basic entry level stuff.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Ich gratuliere dich, AHTOXA!

On a side note, I'm itchy to put my summers back on...
me too man, me too...something about a possible snowstorm this weekend or early next week though. i work/live overnights when it would be snowing, so i am always cautious about the switchover.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Most U.S. car headlights are marginal or poor, insurance group says
[...]Vehicles getting acceptable ratings include the Audi A3, Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima. Vehicles with poor ratings include the Kia Optima, Chevrolet Malibu and Volkswagen Passat.

Many luxury vehicles have poor-rated headlights, and many cars only get higher ratings with option packages. For example, the base Prius V, which has halogen lights, gets a poor rating.

A 2007 NHTSA report found that 49 percent of passenger traffic deaths occur at night, while 25 percent of driving occurs at night. It's not clear how much the fatality rate is related to lighting, versus driver behavior at night like speeding or intoxication.
i didn't pick the accord for its headlights, but i have to admit they are decent, better than others i've had. the projector beams are significantly better than the old reflector designs i've had before. also helps to have the foglights. for someone who drives a lot at night, good headlights are important.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote:
ok, i can picture that happening. seems a little over-the-top for a basic retail job though. i'm picturing candidates for a job at the Gap duking it out. :lol:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:On a side note, I'm itchy to put my summers back on...
i mean, i know you're in MN, but why not? It is almost april, do you get normal snow showers in april?

I think my housemate switched his tires out....he got an air compressor (nice and loud, too) so he could re-do-do (!?) his brakes whithout much harm to his hands/tools....he's been having issues with working on them. we don't have a garage, so he does it out in the elements, with hanging bare-bulb lights (in a cage, but still) in the dark. I've offered my hands if need a spare pair (they are smaller than his)...but i've not been asked yet.
he probably has either summer or sporty allseason tires that are garbage in the snow. the ones on my accord are said to be no good in the snow; in my opinion they are garbage in dry/warm conditions too. :?
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Most U.S. car headlights are marginal or poor, insurance group says
Government rules allow for significant variation in the amount of illumination that headlights provide in actual on-road driving, IIHS said.

Of 31 midsize models it tested, 11 earned an acceptable rating, nine were rated marginal and 10 were poor. The Prius V was rated good when equipped with optional LED headlights and a feature that turns off high beams when there is an oncoming car.

Vehicles getting acceptable ratings include the Audi A3, Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima. Vehicles with poor ratings include the Kia Optima, Chevrolet Malibu and Volkswagen Passat.

It's long overdue this- It's funny how laughable how some halogen's are pretty much across the board. They seem and feel like after thoughts to a vehicle which is weird to me because I drive probably more at dusk/evening then during the day regardless unless I'm going to work.
AHTOXA wrote: Don't worry too much. Do the interview and just be yourself. Prepare, sure. Do the research about the company before they talk to you. I mean, if they don't like you for what you bring to the table - personally and professionally - then you probably don't want to work there anyway. For example, I leave the beard on when I go interview. That's who I am so it stays.

As far as deciding between jobs. Pit them against each other. If you like both equally, tell each that you have a competitive offer. If they want you, they will throw more money and other incentives your way. In many cases they will openly ask if you have other pending offers or prospects. Some will do that to avoid playing games and likely giving you a better offer upfront to entice you.

Whatever you do, never take the first offer. It's like buying a car without negotiating. There is always roof for negotiation unless you're going for basic entry level stuff.
Truth is I really am overly critical of myself during stuff like this. I really analyze everything about it and I could never give myself a perfect score. There were moments during the phone screening interview that I wish I might of taken things a different direction or put emphasis on different peoples but during the in person one for the other position I really thought I did the best interview I've ever conducted. I had 6 hours to follow to dwell about anything I didn't do or did do and I really had 0 complaints or instances that I felt I should've done something differently. At the end of that interview they had to bring someone in from outside our building for equal opportunity employment reasoning's (being that I was an internal candidate) and she gave me her business card and said if for some reason it didn't work out to contact her directly for her building. It really stroked my ego well and eased my mind.

During this phone interview it basically ended with her stating what the new hire process would be and at the soonest date that it could be done which was in June. She asked if I had any objections about that and I didn't. She really started laying out what would happen in the next coming of weeks and she briefly went through things like compensation and 'outside benefits'. I really hope that wasn't a pitch that she tells everyone because I'd think it'd be fairly rotten if she advertised these things and didn't think I was even going to make it to the next round.

I like your advice about pitting the jobs against each other- I was definitely going to play a similar card like that. The car negotiating analogy is a pretty good one- I have set bases in mind which I'm ready to walk if they aren't met. The reason why I'm in this position in the first place isn't because I'm disgruntled, got laid off, or anything negative. If all else fails I could really stay at my two positions and make ends meet, I have for a few years now- but I'm at a point where I'd like to advance my career, pad my resume, and take a raise. I don't have any grey area's of my resume, it could be read like an open book, the only thing missing in my mind is an MBA but I'm unsure if I want to go back into debt over school.
ok, i can picture that happening. seems a little over-the-top for a basic retail job though. i'm picturing candidates for a job at the Gap duking it out. :lol:
It was like in a middle of a mall setting too. I'd rather not say what the specific store was but I didn't get the job. I'm someone who has interviewed at a fairly high success rate- not too many interviews I've been on led to a dead end actually. This was one of the notable ones that killed me but I didn't handle this setting well. I wouldn't say it was total disaster but I had problems selling myself over someone else who I didn't really know and I felt guilt in basically telling someone in front of them that their background credentials weren't as good as mine. In another instance, I interviewed at a Hollywood Video (do you guys even know what that is or am I showing off my age?), again for a part time position. I ended up getting the job from the interview and asked when I could start and I said by the end of the next week. I get a phone call sometime the next week and the guy that interviewed told me the store was going out of business and my services weren't going to be required. The building was abandoned for years after that and whenever I'd pass by it I would smile because my life took a swerve and I ended up getting an even better job at the time with a really great retail company (again part time, full time student thing). I ended up making a ton of friends at the job and I kind of wonder what would've happened if that location didn't go out of business. Those are the only two times I've failed though- I kind of wonder why I get so much anxiety and am so critical of myself. I guess maybe I feel like my luck is running out and there will be times where I interview 'very strongly' but someone else beats me out and my pride gets hurt.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: It's long overdue this- It's funny how laughable how some halogen's are pretty much across the board. They seem and feel like after thoughts to a vehicle which is weird to me because I drive probably more at dusk/evening then during the day regardless unless I'm going to work.
i always thought you needed xenons or led lights to have decent vision. these projector beams are really something else. they're not amazing but definitely better than any other headlights i've had. i look forward to replacing my bulbs with brighter ones soon and see if it gets even brighter. as i mentioned, the foglights definitely help too.
During this phone interview it basically ended with her stating what the new hire process would be and at the soonest date that it could be done which was in June. She asked if I had any objections about that and I didn't. She really started laying out what would happen in the next coming of weeks and she briefly went through things like compensation and 'outside benefits'. I really hope that wasn't a pitch that she tells everyone because I'd think it'd be fairly rotten if she advertised these things and didn't think I was even going to make it to the next round.
i hate it when you're being talked to like you have the job but don't know if you have the job yet. welcome to the business world i guess.
It was like in a middle of a mall setting too. I'd rather not say what the specific store was but I didn't get the job. I'm someone who has interviewed at a fairly high success rate- not too many interviews I've been on led to a dead end actually. This was one of the notable ones that killed me but I didn't handle this setting well. I wouldn't say it was total disaster but I had problems selling myself over someone else who I didn't really know and I felt guilt in basically telling someone in front of them that their background credentials weren't as good as mine. In another instance, I interviewed at a Hollywood Video (do you guys even know what that is or am I showing off my age?), again for a part time position. I ended up getting the job from the interview and asked when I could start and I said by the end of the next week. I get a phone call sometime the next week and the guy that interviewed told me the store was going out of business and my services weren't going to be required. The building was abandoned for years after that and whenever I'd pass by it I would smile because my life took a swerve and I ended up getting an even better job at the time with a really great retail company (again part time, full time student thing). I ended up making a ton of friends at the job and I kind of wonder what would've happened if that location didn't go out of business. Those are the only two times I've failed though- I kind of wonder why I get so much anxiety and am so critical of myself. I guess maybe I feel like my luck is running out and there will be times where I interview 'very strongly' but someone else beats me out and my pride gets hurt.
i remember hollywood video and video stores (and music stores) being an important stop while at the mall or shopping plaza. my dad still rents dvds from the redbox or grocery store (i think they still have a video section - this is down in florida) instead of using netflix (which he has access to). you never know how things would've gone differently if you had worked at the video store, and probably best not to harp on that. :lol: