Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
mazda_3
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2.3 liter Mazda3

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Post by mazda_3 »

AHTOXA wrote:^ Had a similar thing happen once.

I was driving my truck with the steel winch bumper on the front. It's a massive 95lb 1/8" steel bumper, 1/4" steel around the mounts and the winch cradle, made and tested to handle over 40,000 lbs of pulling force and not get damaged. There are two brackets (1/4" thick) on the front where the recovery shackles attach. Pic for reference below.
So finally the winch bumper thing was put to a practical use.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Today, someone decided he couldn't stand to wait while I accelerated slightly slower than the car in front of me, leaving a few car lengths space, so as soon as a passing lane opened he zipped right in to wait behind the car in front of me. Fine, I can understand feeling antsy behind someone who doesn't accelerate as fast as you...

...but if you're feeling antsy, why would you wait behind every left-turning car in front of you? Cars I would have zipped right past, using the ample available pavement, he waited patiently behind. Idiot.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Two of them, one on the way home from work yesterday, and one on the way to work today.

Yesterday, the idiot was me. On the way out of my work driveway, there's a rather speed hill, i'd say about a 30 degree grade. Fortunately, it's downhill, so I usually let off the brake, and let the car 'roll' into first gear, then drive off. Well, yesterday, I guess I put it into third by accident, because when I let off the clutch, the car died. Or so I thought, but the power steering felt like it was working. I clutched back in, and put the car into first, and let off the clutch again and it lurched again. Not knowing what the heck I was doing wrong, and being in the middle of a (now empty) two lane highway, I put the car in neutral and try to start it. *SCREEEEEEECH* The car was running. So I put it into first, and ease off the clutch and the car finally starts to respond to me. Weird. (I think I did stall it, then accidentally bump started it.)

Today, as I was on my way to work, I noticed this newer Civic flying through traffic. Keep in mind, I normally drive around 5-10 over the limit, depending on the road. And this guy was going at least 20 over the limit. We both stop at a red light, neither of us in front. The two people in front of me turn right, and I pound on the gas. I keep up with the guy until about 50 or so (5 over), when I'm forced to start slowing down. Anyway, by this point, he's only about 3/4 of the way passed my car, and he starts coming over the line. So now, I have to slow down from the guy in front AND the guy on the left. So I slam the brakes, and the horn. Wouldn't you know it...no effect. Sometimes, I wonder why cars have horns in the first place...no one pays attention to them. Then, he realizes his lane was moving faster, and jumps back into his lane. WTF? Seriously?
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

mazda_3 wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:^ Had a similar thing happen once.

I was driving my truck with the steel winch bumper on the front. It's a massive 95lb 1/8" steel bumper, 1/4" steel around the mounts and the winch cradle, made and tested to handle over 40,000 lbs of pulling force and not get damaged. There are two brackets (1/4" thick) on the front where the recovery shackles attach. Pic for reference below.
So finally the winch bumper thing was put to a practical use.
No. The truck was a dedicated wheeler on weekly basis.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:No. The truck was a dedicated wheeler on weekly basis.
I haven't seen many people online who have the Rabbit, but out of however many that is, you are at least the 3rd who had a pickup truck before the Rabbit (myself and one other example, who had almost the same truck as me, included). I wonder if that's statistically significant...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 VW Golf

Post by pmacutay »

lol the only other guy I know personally with a rabbit had my car before the rabbit :P
95 VR6 Golf Sport
PILL
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PILL »

AHTOXA wrote:If I had a winch, I would have had it stolen off the truck in a week.

Damn, that pic makes me really said. It was taken this time last year, right before I sold her. I still have a hard time w/o her and I can't believe that I was forced to sell her off so that some punk kid would beat on her. She was much loved and is truly missed. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry, I'll take my moping ass elsewhere.
The trick to keep it on is to use several different types of bolts that aren't very common, like 12point, torx, allen, and anything else you can find. Not many people will have all the tools needed. Red loctite also helps.

A few people even weld small tabs over the bolts so that the tabs must be cut off to remove the bolts.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

pmacutay wrote:lol the only other guy I know personally with a rabbit had my car before the rabbit :P
I know two people (in person) with Rabbits/Golfs. My cousin also used to have one
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:No. The truck was a dedicated wheeler on weekly basis.
I haven't seen many people online who have the Rabbit, but out of however many that is, you are at least the 3rd who had a pickup truck before the Rabbit (myself and one other example, who had almost the same truck as me, included). I wonder if that's statistically significant...
Not sure but a few weeks ago someone stopped me in a parking lot and was asking me questions about the car. They said they were looking into trading their vehicle for a Rabbit like mine.. I asked them what they drove and he said: "Nissan Frontier pickup".
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

I had a rabbit/golf... but it couldn't swing the club very well and we were there forever. /ba-dum-bump

At lunch today, a dude in a new Zo6 was in the left turn lane and I pulled up next to him heading back to work and he yells, "check this out!" Light turns green and he does a burnout.... and does a 180 and stalls the car.... in the intersection. I think he was trying to powerover the turn and failed. I just laughed at him and sped off. Some times I wish there were more cops around.
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

Already been posted, but you really have to wonder what the **** this guy was thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFD2X89a6Fw
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

blauenlanze wrote:Already been posted, but you really have to wonder what the **** this guy was thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFD2X89a6Fw
I think he just got really lucky. I highly doubt this was intentional.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

The interstate here is 70 MPH. Most traffic on this interstate goes 65-80 MPH. If you cannot merge at 60 MPH, you need to not use the interstate. I say this because you (in the blue Ford Ranger) tried to merge on the interstate at 35 MPH!!! And proceeded to reach a maximum speed of 45 MPH! Get off the road, you idiot!
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

There is one particular ramp here on Rt 41, which is a really sharp curve leading into a really short merging area. It's tricky to the point that I used to bypass it at certain hours of the day when I had the truck because traffic was too heavy and there was no way to safely merge. That and the truck was real slow with them big tires and all the weight.

Even in the bunny I'm usually deep into 3rd while merging and stepping on it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Post by Werty »

As I've mentioned before, a section of my commute is on a 3-lane 55mph highway where they open the breakdown lane 6-10am and 3-7pm because apparently the state has no money to build a 4th lane. I usually stay out of this lane as much as possible; it's narrower, more often occupied with people with no sense of fear, plus you have change speed all the time with others merging on and off. Most days I will see someone *stopped* on an on-ramp waiting for a spot to enter.