How to destroy the engine on $70,000 car!

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

How to destroy the engine on $70,000 car!

Post by ClutchFork »

2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye at Woodward Dream Cruise

Look what this guy did, not only a $70,000 car but a lot of speed shop work to boost power considerably:
...the tires spun effortlessly through first gear, bouncing off of the rev limiter before he was able to shift into second. As he let the Challenger roll forward, it still did[n't] grip at all, allowing the engine to rev freely through second gear before Golden was able to shift into third. The supercharged Hemi once again bounced off of the rev limiter, but before Golden to lift, the lights on the dash lit up, the car filled with smoke and the crowd lining the road began frantically yelling at him.

Snapped a rod, holed the side of the block, and started a fire.

https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/09/exc ... ward-45785
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: How to destroy the engine on $70,000 car!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Back in the day,.....the 426 cubic inch Street Hemi was rated, some say conservatively, at 425 horsepressures, far below the power output of many of today's MOPAR engines, but it came with no manufacturer's warranty. When driven off the stealership lot, the risk of mechanical failure rested square on the owner's shoulders.

In these modern times we live in, muscle cars come with warranties......which can be voided by non-authorized modifications.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

A friend of mine has a Mustang GT with line lock, the use of which will allegedly not void his warranty.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm A friend of mine has a Mustang GT with line lock, the use of which will allegedly not void his warranty.
Are you saying he added the line lock or it came equipped that way from the factory?

One some Dodges, they lock the transmission, not just the pressure applied to the front brake lines. If you just lock the front brakes, the rear tires can still thrust enough to skid the front wheels. Locking the trans is a better way to allow boost to build and the torque converter to start multiplying torque.

People were critical of Dodge for not using their biggest displacement (6.4L) hemi for the Hellcat or the Demon, but the engine ears analyzed the stresses and it was better to use a shorter stroke crankshaft with the supercharged engines so they are 6.2L. It wasn't long after the Hellcat motor debuted that there were companies crowing how they could boost your hemi engine to the same or higher levels of power, but they didn't use stronger blocks or crankshafts like the Hellcat engines used, or increase the transmission and engine cooling systems to handle the extra thermal loading. I think one of the great points of the Hellcat was that it could sustain the output for the entire 20 minutes it took to drain the fuel tank. There were/are a lot of other cars that have to back off boost after 5 minutes or so because thats as long as they can maintain safe operating temperatures. Beyond that you risk cooking the lubricating fluids or geysering the cooling systems. I really believe that the manufacturers engineering team can do a better job that the after-market tuners can do of providing a level of performance that is durable and meets emission specifications.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

RE The destroyed Hellcat engine, there really doesn't seem much need to boost power when the car comes with a stock output of 797 horsepower!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Factory equipped. I've never tried it: not my car, not interested. I've driven the car once, and it was fun in a "this will get old fast" sort of way.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!