Vista?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Re: Vista?

Post by Tinton »

theholycow wrote:
Tinton wrote:Back in like 2002 the computer that I used for work (back when I did web development and shit) barely met the minimum requirements for XP. It constantly had problems with lack of memory and the CPU was pegged pretty much non-stop. [...] In the prior example with XP I know almost all of you would advise hardware upgrades instead of just calling XP shit.
The difference is, back in 2002 XP had something useful to offer. It gave us a reason to spend money and effort on hardware upgrades, on buying XP, on buying new programs that will work in XP (for the few that wouldn't).
The only reason XP had anything useful to offer was because Microsoft's OSes all sucked before that. Except for Windows 2000, but that was too much like Windows NT for the common person. Windows Me and 98, what people were typically upgrading from, sucked donkey sack. The success of XP is the main thing hurting Vista, the same reason the PS3 never took off (everyone just wanted to play their PS2's forever). If XP sucked, people would be all over Vista. I think Vista is better, I like the bloat because my system can handle it fine. XP had a lot of new shit that didn't come in 98 or Me that could've been called "bloat" too by the people who didn't want to upgrade their machines.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Yeah, I've seen boxes upgraded to XP that had no business getting upgraded...
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

I like it, A LOT. It runs really fast on my (f**king old) desktop, but runs like shit on my Macbook. I upgraded to Vista to stay ahead of the cutoffs (as soon as W7 comes out, bye bye XP support) and because the GUI is like sex. It's AWESOME. I love the transparent taskbar, start menu and windows. But if I run it on my MBP, aero shuts down and everything becomes regular, and it still runs like shit so I don't bother there.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

1974Alfa5spd wrote:I like it, A LOT. It runs really fast on my (f**king old) desktop, but runs like shit on my Macbook. I upgraded to Vista to stay ahead of the cutoffs (as soon as W7 comes out, bye bye XP support) and because the GUI is like sex. It's AWESOME. I love the transparent taskbar, start menu and windows. But if I run it on my MBP, aero shuts down and everything becomes regular, and it still runs like shit so I don't bother there.
specs on your MBP? it should fly on there. did you install the latest boot camp drivers and everything?
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

VTECaddict wrote:
1974Alfa5spd wrote:I like it, A LOT. It runs really fast on my (f**king old) desktop, but runs like shit on my Macbook. I upgraded to Vista to stay ahead of the cutoffs (as soon as W7 comes out, bye bye XP support) and because the GUI is like sex. It's AWESOME. I love the transparent taskbar, start menu and windows. But if I run it on my MBP, aero shuts down and everything becomes regular, and it still runs like shit so I don't bother there.
specs on your MBP? it should fly on there. did you install the latest boot camp drivers and everything?
Nah, it was parallels cause bootcamp wouldn't partition.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

oh, yeah its horrible on parallels. vista requires too much to be run virtually inside OS X.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 VW Golf

Post by pmacutay »

1974Alfa5spd wrote:But if I run it on my MBP, aero shuts down and everything becomes regular, and it still runs like shit so I don't bother there.
Parallels does not virtualize the graphics card, which is why you're not getting Aero. If you've got the space, install it via BootCamp and it'll fly faster than your old PC. That way the OS can utilize all the hardware of the laptop.

There's experimental support in one of those virtualization suites for GPU virtualization, but I don't remember which one.
95 VR6 Golf Sport
Pinky Demon
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Pinky Demon »

Vista: The best advertisement for OS X Leopard I've ever seen.
Struck by Mazdaspeed!
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

Pinky Demon wrote:Vista: The best advertisement for OS X Leopard I've ever seen.
:lol:

that's a low blow hahaha
95 VR6 Golf Sport
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

pmacutay wrote: :lol:

that's a low blow hahaha
well, apple seems to be in agreement with that statement (ie Mac vs PC ads). :P
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

no i know.

i'm looking out for vista because i feel bad for it... :mrgreen:
95 VR6 Golf Sport
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Hmm... maybe they changed how they did things with Windows 7, because I'm able to virtualize it on my macbook with VMWare Fusion, and I get aero glass and the other bells and whistles. Looks great! I did give it 2 virtual processors and 2 gigs of RAM... but it didn't seem to need anything special in the GPU department.

EDIT: Okay, I lied through my teeth there - I don't get aero in VMWare. I was thinking of my work laptop.
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

paul34 wrote:A veedub-er who is an Apple fanboy WHAT A SURPRISE :roll:

:lol:
just jealous that i got an iPod with my New Beetle. :lol:

But in all seriousness, the only reasons I switched back to XP on my laptop were:
-games didn't perform any faster; at best the game played the same, at worst...lower framerates.
-Vista takes up a lot more space than XP does. I've only got 150 usable gigs of space on my HDD, and 40 goes to Windows. Doesn't leave much space for games if Vista takes up what, like 8 gigs?

Aero Glass is pretty slick though, I'm a sucker for eye candy no matter who makes it, so I love that UI. Just turn UAC off and Vista's nowhere near as bad as people made it seem. I like XP better though because of the aforementioned space savingness, and that Vista's not that much better than XP. Functionally, it seems Vista's just XP + Aero + a few tweaks (it boots and shuts down significantly faster).

EDIT: y'know, I never noticed the whole VW/Apple thing until I showed up at a meet and everyone there had MacBooks and I was like wtf.

But I'd say they have Macs more for the trendy reasons than they do because they actually like the operating system and/or hardware. :roll:
95 VR6 Golf Sport
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

pmacutay wrote: just jealous that i got an iPod with my New Beetle. :lol:

But in all seriousness, the only reasons I switched back to XP on my laptop were:
-games didn't perform any faster; at best the game played the same, at worst...lower framerates.
-Vista takes up a lot more space than XP does. I've only got 150 usable gigs of space on my HDD, and 40 goes to Windows. Doesn't leave much space for games if Vista takes up what, like 8 gigs?

Aero Glass is pretty slick though, I'm a sucker for eye candy no matter who makes it, so I love that UI. Just turn UAC off and Vista's nowhere near as bad as people made it seem. I like XP better though because of the aforementioned space savingness, and that Vista's not that much better than XP. Functionally, it seems Vista's just XP + Aero + a few tweaks (it boots and shuts down significantly faster).

EDIT: y'know, I never noticed the whole VW/Apple thing until I showed up at a meet and everyone there had MacBooks and I was like wtf.

But I'd say they have Macs more for the trendy reasons than they do because they actually like the operating system and/or hardware. :roll:
vista only took up 8 gigs? i had vista 64bit ultimate installed in Boot Camp on a 25gb partition and i only had 8-9 gigs free. :lol: it was alright though since i only needed it to run my TV tuner, but it didnt give Media Center a lot of room to timeshift live TV.

now i have Win7 beta 64bit and its taking up less than 12gb, giving me ~13 free. Media Center has adequate room to work with now.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

My Linux partition is only like 2 or 3 gigs--Windows is FTL as far as resources go. I cannot believe the size of a Vista install given that you aren't even getting any software for the space.
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.