Slushes beating you on the red light..

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Slushes beating you on the red light..

Post by AHTOXA »

Yes, RPM is only a part of the equation. I suspect that load is another, in addition to drag, which affects load.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

AHTOXA wrote:75-80 at 3K RPM isn't really short. Most 5 speeds I have ever driven or been in, turned 3K at 70 in 5th, so it's really not that far off from the "norm" as I like to think of it, for your 6-speed.
I was approximating, I'm maybe running around 3300 or so if I remember correctly. That is still high but hey like you said RPM is only part of the story but at that RPM my turbo is boosting which brings down fuel economy. If I keep the car at around 65 to 70 mph, I get around 30 mpg but if I increase to around 75-80 my mpgs fall to around 27. Its all about staying out of boost in turbocharged cars.
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Yes, at high speeds aerodynamic drag is by far the largest user of fuel. However, the costs for trying to reduce it can get pretty nasty -- space, weight, uglyness, money. Within the boundaries of what they can sell, they already do the best they can with aerodynamic drag. Gotta have a big gaping ugly grill to sell cars these days, can't have wheel skirts, etc.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD