dumping/sidestepping the clutch

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
vw100
Junior Standardshifter

dumping/sidestepping the clutch

Post by vw100 »

ok i have heard this a lot : "Never dump or sidestep the clutch" but what is the reasoning behind it? Does it damage the pressure plate ?
i am asking because i think i do that when taking off after i feel it sync (reaching the sync point) on the clutch
another scenario is after taking it out of gear (neutral)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: dumping/sidestepping the clutch

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Methinks they might have really meant to say "With the transmission in-gear, don't rev up the engine to its redline speed and then sidestep your foot off the clutch pedal when you launch the car".

If the trans is in Neutral, it's not going to do much if any harm.

If you are already at the point where the clutch is "hooking up" (i.e. finding a sex partner for the night) with the flywheel and pressure plate (menage a trois?), then again sidestepping or otherwise allowing the clutch pedal to rise rapidly isn't likely to cause any issues.

It's not the sudden clamping of the clutch disk that causes heartburn, it's the sudden clamping when there is the inertia of the engine on one side and the inertia of the vehicle on the other side and the speeds of the two sides are nowhere near being equal that results in high loading being borne by the driveline. If the trans is in Neutral, or if the speeds of the two sides are nearly equal already, then there won't be any damage to the driveline by side-stepping the clutch.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Also, dumping and sidestepping aren't the same thing.

Sidestep: Floor the clutch pedal, then slide your foot off the side of the pedal and allow it to pop up on its own. This is inherently abusive, but much more so as part of a launch. Before I came to this forum, I called it popping the clutch.

Dump: Controlled but very fast movement where your foot remains in contact with the pedal the whole time. Once everything is hooked up, dumping the clutch is my recommendation.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Also, dumping and sidestepping aren't the same thing.

Sidestep: Floor the clutch pedal, then slide your foot off the side of the pedal and allow it to pop up on its own. This is inherently abusive, but much more so as part of a launch. Before I came to this forum, I called it popping the clutch.

Dump: Controlled but very fast movement where your foot remains in contact with the pedal the whole time. Once everything is hooked up, dumping the clutch is my recommendation.
For "The Flash", they are about the same. For the old man down the street who shudda had his license taken away years ago, they are very different. For those somewhere in between, it is a vast sea of gray.....unless you have a Bimmer with a restriction in the clutch hydraulic line that slows down the pedal return and the clutch doesn't clamp quickly no matter what you do.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Thankfully that clutch delay valve is removable.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RITmusic2k wrote:Thankfully that clutch delay valve is removable.
Those are NOT the sentiments of your differential!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Good thing my feelings about it are indifferential.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RITmusic2k wrote:Good thing my feelings about it are indifferential.
That's a matter of a pinion.
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

:lol:
vw100
Junior Standardshifter

Post by vw100 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Methinks they might have really meant to say "With the transmission in-gear, don't rev up the engine to its redline speed and then sidestep your foot off the clutch pedal when you launch the car".

If the trans is in Neutral, it's not going to do much if any harm.

If you are already at the point where the clutch is "hooking up" (i.e. finding a sex partner for the night) with the flywheel and pressure plate (menage a trois?), then again sidestepping or otherwise allowing the clutch pedal to rise rapidly isn't likely to cause any issues.

It's not the sudden clamping of the clutch disk that causes heartburn, it's the sudden clamping when there is the inertia of the engine on one side and the inertia of the vehicle on the other side and the speeds of the two sides are nowhere near being equal that results in high loading being borne by the driveline. If the trans is in Neutral, or if the speeds of the two sides are nearly equal already, then there won't be any damage to the driveline by side-stepping the clutch.
this was really helpful 8) I often hear people say that jerky upshifts damage the clutch :roll: well isn't that supposed to stress the whole drivetrain and not the clutch? i agree you can stress that clutch if you release it really slow or feather it, but that would make the shift smooth so it wont be classified as a jerky upshift anyway :?
stock15wrx
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 wrx

Post by stock15wrx »

You can.chirp in third if u wanted to. bitbif you do youre a moron imho