New car getting going issue

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
jeff6666p
Junior Standardshifter

New car getting going issue

Post by jeff6666p »

I have a 98 impreza rs and the clutch had a bad chatter. We replaced the clutch and the chatter is still there just not as bad. I notice one way to reduce it is to release the clutch quicker but I notice that when I the rpms drop to 500 engine almost stalls and then then revs bounce back up to 1000. I think the only reason it's not stalling is because the clutch is super bitey. Should I just slip the clutch alittle more and just learn to live with the chatter or does it need alittle more gas, though I feel if I just give it more gas the car would just launch forward.
98 3000gt base model
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: New car getting going issue

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Have you tried a no-gas launch? (Go out in the back 40 of a shopping center parking lot and, with the engine idling, let out the clutch until the engine rpm begins to dip and it just starts to drive the car, hesitate at that point until the car pick up little speed and then let the clutch pedal up the rest of the way until it is driving away at idle speeds)

If you do this, does the clutch still chatter? If not, practice no-gas launches some more until you get real good and then try some combination of no gas launch and then application of power or no gas until it just starts moving and then application of power as you let the pedal come up more.

Also, if your engine mounts are worn/torn, the powertrain can jump around and get into a resonance which triggers the chattering. Another cause of chatter can be that the face of the flywheel or the pressure plate needs to be cleaned or machined smooth. If a clutch becomes over-heated, it can transfer material to these area and cause uneven friction.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
jeff6666p
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jeff6666p »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Have you tried a no-gas launch? (Go out in the back 40 of a shopping center parking lot and, with the engine idling, let out the clutch until the engine rpm begins to dip and it just starts to drive the car, hesitate at that point until the car pick up little speed and then let the clutch pedal up the rest of the way until it is driving away at idle speeds)

If you do this, does the clutch still chatter? If not, practice no-gas launches some more until you get real good and then try some combination of no gas launch and then application of power or no gas until it just starts moving and then application of power as you let the pedal come up more.

Also, if your engine mounts are worn/torn, the powertrain can jump around and get into a resonance which triggers the chattering. Another cause of chatter can be that the face of the flywheel or the pressure plate needs to be cleaned or machined smooth. If a clutch becomes over-heated, it can transfer material to these area and cause uneven friction.

Thank you for your answer but I already know how to drive a manual i've been driving manuals for just about 2 years and have driven about 2-3 dozen manual cars/trucks while working at a shop. I've only been releasing the clutch quickly so I can reduce the vibrations from the shudder. I'm just asking if I should give more gas or just slip the clutch more to smooth it out instead of almost poping the clutch so I don't get the chatter. I've been trying to figure out how to drive around it. Yes it still chatters with the no gas method as while as reving it higher.

Engine mounts are good, I don't know about the transmission mounts haven't checked them yet. The clutch,flywheel,pressure plate and throw out bearing are all new only about 300-500 miles on it.
98 3000gt base model
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Solution: Give me your car!
jeff6666p
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jeff6666p »

watkins wrote:Solution: Give me your car!
No it's mine.
98 3000gt base model
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

jeff6666p wrote:
watkins wrote:Solution: Give me your car!
No it's mine.
You're no fun!

Sounds to me like you should just give it a few more RPM and slip it more.

When you replaced the clutch did you replace the pilot bushing and have the flywheel resurfaced?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: Image
... and have the flywheel resurfaced?
Fickset