Bunny Hop into 2nd....

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
divvedout
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: mazda

Bunny Hop into 2nd....

Post by divvedout »

Hi all,

I'm fairly still new to manual.

Maybe it's because I'm being sloppy, but I'm getting more bunny hopping into 2nd gear lately.

For some reason, this wasn't a issue for awhile, but then once it started happening, it's now constantly on my mind, and it's been a spiral downward.

It's worse on up hill, so I usually delay the clutch release a bit, but it still happens a bit. Is it because I'm holding onto it not enough? But then if I hold onto it longer, then I get a clunk. It's like I can't win.

Also, sometimes in slow traffic situation, I miss my chance to shift into 2nd, and I'd be doing 17mph revving at 3500rpm. At that point, what's the best way to shift into 2nd gear smoothly?

This has been a frustrating couple of weeks. Maybe work is getting to my head.

Thanks folks, your advice would be appreciated. :(
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Bunny Hop into 2nd....

Post by tankinbeans »

Welcome to the board.

When you try to get into second push in the clutch and hold it for a moment before doing anything with the gas. This allows the revs to drop and you won't have to compensate much.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It sounds like driveline wind-up. There is play and slop in various parts and connections, and there is a spring in the hub of the clutch that allows it to twist a little bit and then spring back. There's also the car's suspension that can store and release energy. Spending more time slipping the clutch and using higher RPM should prevent the seasickness cycle from starting.

For your 17mph/3500rpm question, what are you currently doing and how is it working for you? If you've read other beginner posts here then you've certainly seen discussions of which direction your head was jerked indicating what needs to change. Also consider skipping 2nd; if 17mph is acceptable for 3rd, just go straight to 3rd.

What year and model is your Mazda? How many miles?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
divvedout
Junior Standardshifter

Post by divvedout »

Thanks folks...

2013 Mazda 3. 4000 miles. I work from home sometimes. I'd say 70% highway.

in the 17mph / 1st gear situation, I pause before start releasing the clutch to let the rpm drop. But I do still get minor bunny hops. Not horrible jumps, but enough to tell me that I'm doing something wrong.

So bunny hop is the main problem here too, but I guess if does feel like I'm being pulled forward as the car hops...

I haven't even thought about skipping 2nd. On flat land, I think 3rd at 17mph would definitely work with this car. If I'm skipping 2nd, do I do anything different?

Thanks again,
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

If you feel like your body is pulled forward at the moment that the clutch grabs, straining against the seatbelt and your head is thrown towards the windshield, skip pausing your clutch work. You need more RPM than you've got by the time your delay is done.

If you want to skip a gear, there is nothing special involved. The procedure is the same, just go straight to the target gear instead of shifting to the sequentially next gear.

divvedout
Junior Standardshifter

Post by divvedout »

theholycow wrote:If you feel like your body is pulled forward at the moment that the clutch grabs, straining against the seatbelt and your head is thrown towards the windshield, skip pausing your clutch work. You need more RPM than you've got by the time your delay is done.
I'm sorry, I actually meant the opposite. If feels like someone is pulling my car "from forward" (i.e. slightly pinning me against the seat) as I release the clutch, and hop.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

divvedout wrote:I'm sorry, I actually meant the opposite. If feels like someone is pulling my car "from forward" (i.e. slightly pinning me against the seat) as I release the clutch, and hop.
In that case, extend your delay or absorb it with the clutch by easing the clutch pedal up more slowly.

whatjones911
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: Honda S2000

Post by whatjones911 »

You might be adding gas too early/too much when letting the clutch out. This happens to me from time to time, but only when I'm shifting early into second (low rpms)