help with launching and shifting

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
manualshifter4739
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 99 hyundai tiburon

help with launching and shifting

Post by manualshifter4739 »

New to the forums, just been reading some posts and trying to adjust my driving style. I drive a hyundai tiburon with a 5 speed and I've got a few questions. I've had the car for a year and put 10,000 miles on it. I had to replace the clutch after getting it. After about 2000 miles, it went out again and I realized that the master cylinder was bad so I replaced it along with the slave cylinder just in case. Added another new clutch and off I went. Now here I am, 8000 miles later and my clutch is a starting to slip again. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way I'm driving it? Here's what I do:

When launching, I let the clutch out until just the point it begins to engage and then add gas to rev to about 1-2000 rpms. The car sometimes gets really shaky on the launch, but other times it's smooth. Help on launching?

When up shifting, I push the clutch in, shift gears fast, and add a gas once my clutch starts to engage.

When downshifting, I push clutch pedal in, shift gears, and go into lower gear. I usually slow down enough that the lower gear rpm matches the idle speed, but not always. Would double clutching be good when downshifting?

Would this style of driving cause such constant slipping and wear on my clutch? Or what could?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: help with launching and shifting

Post by Rope-Pusher »

When launching from a standing start, about how long of a time is the clutch slipping for?

Slippage builds heat and heat is the enemy of the clutch disk friction material as well as the Slave Cylinder.

Usually, when a slave cylinder has an issue, the problem is with not disengaging the clutch. Shifting while sitting still feels fine with the engine off, but gets notchy, blocks , or makes nasty noises when the engine is on, because the engine is still spinning the transmission input shaft.

Is everything OK with your engine rear main bearing seal, or your transmission input shaft seal? Leaking engine oil or tranny fluid could be fouling your clutch disk.

Also, when the clutch was worn the first time, was the clutch disk replaced, or was the cover assembly replaced as well? The spring in the cover supplies the clamping force and the pressure plate in the cover provides a friction surface for the clutch. Also, sometimes the flywheel friction surface needs refacing - it's like having brake rotors "turned".
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"