Shifting at high RPM

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
plat168
Junior Standardshifter

Shifting at high RPM

Post by plat168 »

First of all, love the forum.

I recently got a new BRZ( just over 1000 miles), I haven't drive a manual since high school day, so 16 years to be exact lol.

I am wondering if I am doing my shift properly at high RPM (like 5-6k), I mean I am doing my shift the same way(clutch in, shift,clutch out, gas). but I have a bad habit that as the RPM is higher, I also shift faster too. I mean everything seem to be smooth. so if I shift at 5k, it might drop to 4.5k and I keep going.

But recently, my friend told me that, I should let me RPM drop more before I let out the clutch, what is the reason behind that? and I tried that method, it just doesn't feel smooth to me.

so am I doing something wrong? I don't want to hurt my car too much too soon.

Thanks in advance.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: Shifting at high RPM

Post by six »

Welcome :)

Don't listen to your friend. :wink:

You don't seem to be doing anything wrong. Sounds fine to me.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Roger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Roger »

It's fine, if you shift at 7k, smash it into the next gear without letting the revs drop there will be more wear on the drive train and diff but you probably won't notice any wear till the car goes through a couple of owners. Just make sure you change the diff fluid regularly if you thrash it a lot.

If you shift at 7k, and let the revs drop to 5k then dump the clutch it will be better for the clutch, drivetrain, and diff. But it feels less smooth because you are accelerating, decelerating for a second, then accelerating again, whereas with a quick dump and quick shift there is only a short lapse in acceleration so it feels more natural and smooth.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The best people to ask would be people who have the BRZ. That sort of thing differs widely from one model to the next, especially on modern cars.

When you let the clutch pedal up, does your RPM fall even more than it did during the shift, does it rise, or does it stay about the same?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling." -Jeremy Clarkson
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

six wrote:Welcome :)

Don't listen to your friend. :wink:

You don't seem to be doing anything wrong. Sounds fine to me.
I like not listening to my friends. Sometimes they just like to bloviate vociferously.

My opinion is that if it feels smooth, and you're not turning green around the gills, you're doing just fine.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot. Welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!