Clutch adjustment

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Clutch adjustment

Post by rml605 »

I've been better with my car, but I still botch too many. My clutch point seems like it's WAY too low. I understand there's plenty of low points, but my clutch is also very short so I really have no choice other than be perfect timing or else i'll feel the shift badly. How does one go about this? Is it a pricey job? Bad idea to do so?
MFan
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Clutch adjustment

Post by MFan »

What do you mean by way low? Does it catch at the clutch stop? or about an inch off from the stop? Most people like the low catch point and has gone out of their way to make it that way. You want to do the opposite? I actually adjusted my clutch stop such that my clutch catches within about 1.5 inch off of the clutch stop. To me, it's the high catch point that's difficult to drive smooth.
2008 BMW MCoupe
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

MFan wrote:What do you mean by way low? Does it catch at the clutch stop? or about an inch off from the stop? Most people like the low catch point and has gone out of their way to make it that way. You want to do the opposite? I actually adjusted my clutch stop such that my clutch catches within about 1.5 inch off of the clutch stop. To me, it's the high catch point that's difficult to drive smooth.
No, I hate high clutches.

It's just my clutch is short as is and then has a low point like literally a half inch off floor.
MFan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MFan »

With a catch point half an inch off from the floor is actually really good and ideal. I wished I can make my car catch like that. It would make rev match much easier. Not sure why you would want to raise it. I guessed everyone's style is different. Sorry that I can't be much help with adjustments.
2008 BMW MCoupe
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I remember this RSX I sat in had an engagement point really low.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

MFan wrote:Most people like the low catch point and has gone out of their way to make it that way.
From what I've read most people do NOT like the low catch point, although I think I would.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:
MFan wrote:Most people like the low catch point and has gone out of their way to make it that way.
From what I've read most people do NOT like the low catch point, although I think I would.
The only disadvantage I can think of to a really low catch point would be that it would be easier to release the clutch too quick causing a jerky shift. But if you can train yourself to release slower through that 1st inch then let go normally, I think you should be fine.

I think my clutch catches about 1/3 of the way up, I guess that's kinda high. This makes launching a little harder I think.
2012 VW Golf R
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

daleadbull wrote:
theholycow wrote:
The only disadvantage I can think of to a really low catch point would be that it would be easier to release the clutch too quick causing a jerky shift. But if you can train yourself to release slower through that 1st inch then let go normally, I think you should be fine.

I think my clutch catches about 1/3 of the way up, I guess that's kinda high. This makes launching a little harder I think.
Another disadvantage is that if you screw up you could grind a gear too.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

You guys are right with the disadvantages. I've encountered all of them.

It's good on hills as you'll get moving quicker and launches, but it can be frustrating on normal shifts. I keep flying forward I believe, which means I think im releasing to fast. It's tough with this clutch point because you MUST have your timing down perfect. You don't get on fast enough and you'll jerk, if you get on too quickly you'll burn your clutch. There's really no margin for error with this small clutch. My former boss who use to be a professional race car driver and is a master at stick, told me before he'll test drive my car and help me so I think i'll go through with that.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

rml605 wrote:You guys are right with the disadvantages. I've encountered all of them.

It's good on hills as you'll get moving quicker and launches, but it can be frustrating on normal shifts. I keep flying forward I believe, which means I think im releasing to fast. It's tough with this clutch point because you MUST have your timing down perfect. You don't get on fast enough and you'll jerk, if you get on too quickly you'll burn your clutch. There's really no margin for error with this small clutch. My former boss who use to be a professional race car driver and is a master at stick, told me before he'll test drive my car and help me so I think i'll go through with that.
That's a good idea, get an outside opinion.

And I can imagine what you're saying about it being difficult to smooth out shifts during normal shifting. Those of us with higher engaging clutches can get away with releasing the clutch in one smooth motion, but you might have to do the 2 step. Release smoothly to engagement point and make sure to be be slow through the zone then let out smoothly.
2012 VW Golf R
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

daleadbull wrote:
rml605 wrote:You guys are right with the disadvantages. I've encountered all of them.

That's a good idea, get an outside opinion.

And I can imagine what you're saying about it being difficult to smooth out shifts during normal shifting. Those of us with higher engaging clutches can get away with releasing the clutch in one smooth motion, but you might have to do the 2 step. Release smoothly to engagement point and make sure to be be slow through the zone then let out smoothly.
If I tru and smooth it and release slowly, I just end up burning clutch.

I think it's a matter of just perfect timing and getting on gas quickly.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

rml605 wrote:I've been better with my car, but I still botch too many. My clutch point seems like it's WAY too low. I understand there's plenty of low points, but my clutch is also very short so I really have no choice other than be perfect timing or else i'll feel the shift badly. How does one go about this? Is it a pricey job? Bad idea to do so?
What kind of car? Does it have an adjustment to the clutch? Did you replace any clutch components recently? Did they turn the flywheel in the process?

I just had all new parts and hydraulics. My engagement is about 1 inch off the floor but sometimes seems to begin only half inch off. It drives fine though. It was on the floor until I also replaced the clutch master cylinder which was going bad.

My clutch changeout and pedal height issues are described here:
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... =5&t=19067
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Dog intended that the engagement point be 35 mm off the downstop, as measured at the center of the pedal pad
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Probably showing my age here, but I remember adjusting the clutch on my dad's old 4 speed 78 Chevette that later became mine. I should have kept the Maverick and bypassed the Chevette. It has some type of C-clip that held the clutch cable in place. You simply took the c-clip off and tightened or loosened the clutch cable. The clutch in that car was crap, but easy to adjust. I remember it also had a sealed air filter and you had to buy the whole metal casing and all when you wanted to replace the air filter.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Bill B wrote:Probably showing my age here, but I remember adjusting the clutch on my dad's old 4 speed 78 Chevette that later became mine. I should have kept the Maverick and bypassed the Chevette. It has some type of C-clip that held the clutch cable in place. You simply took the c-clip off and tightened or loosened the clutch cable. The clutch in that car was crap, but easy to adjust. I remember it also had a sealed air filter and you had to buy the whole metal casing and all when you wanted to replace the air filter.
I adjusted my younger brother's Shove-it clutch.
My Vega had a similar, sealed air filter,....until I pried-open the seam, scraped-out the element and threw-in an element from a 2bbl 307 V8.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"