Shifting to Reverse at Speed

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Shifting to Reverse at Speed

Post by rml605 »

Do you need to fully stop before engaging reverse? Like let's say you're backing up, but disengage and you're in N, but then need to go back in R...will you need to fully stop?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:Do you need to fully stop before engaging reverse? Like let's say you're backing up, but disengage and you're in N, but then need to go back in R...will you need to fully stop?
If you're already rolling backwards you can double-clutch into reverse, but it might be tough to get good enough at it to avoid grinding unless you park facing uphill and back out of your parking space every day.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you take the pointing off the ends of teh teeth, then you are more likely to get tooth-butt and block out of Reverse unless you feather the clutch to rotate the input shaft slightly.

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote: A friend rented a new Toyota Camry. I bet him $20 that if he tried to put it in Park while driving forward at 30 mph, nothing would happen. He thought for sure that it would at least cause a nasty grinding sound, even if it didn't destroy the transmission. I was in the car when he tried it. Nothing happened. Nothing at all.
I once threw my 1971 Ford into park going about 15-20 mph. It made a nasty sound like a very loud ratchet and finally when almost stopped the parking pawl fell into the slot and the car came to an abrupt stop. Didn't break off the pawl. The Toyota Camry must have a different mechanism for engaging park.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:
Shadow wrote: A friend rented a new Toyota Camry. I bet him $20 that if he tried to put it in Park while driving forward at 30 mph, nothing would happen. He thought for sure that it would at least cause a nasty grinding sound, even if it didn't destroy the transmission. I was in the car when he tried it. Nothing happened. Nothing at all.
I once threw my 1971 Ford into park going about 15-20 mph. It made a nasty sound like a very loud ratchet and finally when almost stopped the parking pawl fell into the slot and the car came to an abrupt stop. Didn't break off the pawl. The Toyota Camry must have a different mechanism for engaging park.
I don't think it's a different mechanism...I believe it still has a basic parking pawl. What probably changed is the intelligence of the vehicle. It basically "knows" that Park shouldn't be engaged while the car is moving, so it simply doesn't allow it. Chalk it up to electronic controls and ECU/PCMs, I guess.