Transition from 5spd to 6spd

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
sls8207
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Transition from 5spd to 6spd

Post by sls8207 »

I think it was a 6 cyl but those things aren't really geared for highways anyway. I haven't heard anything good about it from the owner regarding speed and acceleration, but that's not what it's made for.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I guess it's strange to me because I've owned a 6-speed Wrangler and even after large offroad tires and other added weight, I've never had issues with power.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
sls8207
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sls8207 »

I guess so. The owner came from a muscle car right before it so that's probably why they're complaining about speed.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

sls8207 wrote:The owner came from a muscle car Image
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Tonebone, the JK with the 3.8 is awful. Even at highway speeds I have to downshift to 4th just to make it up some hills, and definitely need to downshift to pass with any semblance of speed. Worst combination of (lack of a) power band and gearing I have ever come across, hands down. The Pentastar isn't much better.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I went from a 6 speed down to a 5 speed and constantly catch myself reaching for the shifter on the freeway to find my imaginary 6th gear. I've grown very fond of the reverse lockout/whatever is put in there to prevent the shift from 5th to reverse.

Power is similar, and gas mileage went up 10 percent so overall I don't necessarily miss the 6th gear. I do hear that the transmission in my Focus is slightly old tech, but no biggie. It works nicely for me.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:Tonebone, the JK with the 3.8 is awful. Even at highway speeds I have to downshift to 4th just to make it up some hills, and definitely need to downshift to pass with any semblance of speed. Worst combination of (lack of a) power band and gearing I have ever come across, hands down. The Pentastar isn't much better.
Thinking about it more - I see it now. My personal experience was with a 4.10 rear end. Standard JK rear is what 3.7something, right? That would explain it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

The same hills I have to downshift for in a JK I dont have to downshift for driving my own car. Dont even hit boost.
sls8207
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sls8207 »

watkins wrote:Tonebone, the JK with the 3.8 is awful. Even at highway speeds I have to downshift to 4th just to make it up some hills, and definitely need to downshift to pass with any semblance of speed. Worst combination of (lack of a) power band and gearing I have ever come across, hands down. The Pentastar isn't much better.
Really? I love the Pentastar's power in the new Grand Cherokees even though they're all autos.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

The Grand Cherokee is a different animal.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

watkins wrote:The Grand Cherokee is a different animal.
It sure is..

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

It was determined that the Jeep tested in the previous post was overloaded.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/29/2012 ... oose-test/

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/20 ... -test.html
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Wow, blowing tires left and right. LOL

Those Grands appear to have the 20-inch wheels and low-profile rubber. I wonder how it would have responded on the 18" wheels, or even the 17" wheels that come on the base model. That might just be one more reason not to put 20-inch wheels on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

I remember driving my old 4 speed VW Beetle after having driven a 5 speed for while, and by force of habit trying to shift into 5th when there wasn't one. I have never owned a 6 speed, but probably will sometime in the future as long as they keep making them.
Shadow wrote:Congrats on the new car. Having a 6th gear shouldn't really be any different from your old 5-speed, other than the fact that you might not "remember" that you have another gear to shift into after you're in 5th. With my car, I can actually use 6th gear even on the back roads as long as I'm going at least 30 mph. Any lower than that and I don't bother shifting into 6th gear.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

I would love to own a 7 speed, but I need a Porsche 911 or a Corvette for that. lol
2012 VW Golf R