Advice needed - new manual driver with abrupt/grabby clutch

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Re: Advice needed - new manual driver with abrupt/grabby clu

Post by Reverence »

If you pause long enough at the upper part of friction point without moving your throttle position, and on a flat ground, your clutch will eventually become fully engaged in its course to holy matrimony.
zaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by zaf »

Reverence wrote:If you pause long enough at the upper part of friction point without moving your throttle position, and on a flat ground, your clutch will eventually become fully engaged in its course to holy matrimony.
ok, let's say it is fully engaged at the upper part of friction point, and it makes no sense if we add gas at this moment before we fully release the clutch, right?
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Reverence »

zaf wrote: ok, let's say it is fully engaged at the upper part of friction point, and it makes no sense if we add gas at this moment before we fully release the clutch, right?

it makes sense to add a little gas just before full engagement of clutch (as it begins to grab), so that you don't get engine brake at full engagement. This is what see saw'ing is about.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You should always add gas, a little at a time, before you are fully engaged, or she will be asking you "What's that horrible smell?" for the rest of your life.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

zaf wrote:
Reverence wrote:If you pause long enough at the upper part of friction point without moving your throttle position, and on a flat ground, your clutch will eventually become fully engaged in its course to holy matrimony.
ok, let's say it is fully engaged at the upper part of friction point, and it makes no sense if we add gas at this moment before we fully release the clutch, right?
It really depends on the situation. However, if you had to wait a while for the clutch to sync up, adding significant gas without letting your foot off the clutch pedal more will result in the clutch slipping again since it has just barely enough holding power at that position for the previous amount of torque the engine was producing.

Have you seen this?
http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm
On pages two and three are interactive demos that can help understand the clutch better.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
zaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by zaf »

theholycow wrote:
zaf wrote:
It really depends on the situation. However, if you had to wait a while for the clutch to sync up, adding significant gas without letting your foot off the clutch pedal more will result in the clutch slipping again since it has just barely enough holding power at that position for the previous amount of torque the engine was producing.

Have you seen this?
http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm
On pages two and three are interactive demos that can help understand the clutch better.
So the amount of gas I need to add is not constant, should depend on the position of the clutch, right?

I think I have rev hang in my car, so do I suppose to add gas later than normally when it should?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

zaf wrote:I think I have rev hang in my car, so do I suppose to add gas later than normally when it should?
most likely, yes, but like THC said (and its true of almost everything while driving manual) it depends on your circumstances. there are a thousand different combinations for each of launching, upshifting and downshifting. when someone says on here you should do x when y happens, almost every single time x and y are completely different than another situation. we dont know your circumstances you just kinda have to figure it out on your own.
zaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by zaf »

LHOswald wrote:
zaf wrote:I think I have rev hang in my car, so do I suppose to add gas later than normally when it should?
most likely, yes, but like THC said (and its true of almost everything while driving manual) it depends on your circumstances. there are a thousand different combinations for each of launching, upshifting and downshifting. when someone says on here you should do x when y happens, almost every single time x and y are completely different than another situation. we dont know your circumstances you just kinda have to figure it out on your own.
Thanks for your reply.

I got to practice more
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Reverence »

Rope-Pusher wrote:You should always add gas, a little at a time, before you are fully engaged, or she will be asking you "What's that horrible smell?" for the rest of your life.
If female drivers started adding gas, a little at a time, before they were fully engaged, that would put me off for the rest of my life.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

zaf wrote:So the amount of gas I need to add is not constant, should depend on the position of the clutch, right?

I think I have rev hang in my car, so do I suppose to add gas later than normally when it should?
Very few things in manual transmission driving are constant...everything depends on everything else. We can give you advice for how to adjust based on what you feel, but we can't tell you what you need ahead of time.

Rev hang may indeed mean you have to add gas later.

What car do you drive?

zaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by zaf »

theholycow wrote:
zaf wrote:So the amount of gas I need to add is not constant, should depend on the position of the clutch, right?

Very few things in manual transmission driving are constant...everything depends on everything else. We can give you advice for how to adjust based on what you feel, but we can't tell you what you need ahead of time.

Rev hang may indeed mean you have to add gas later.

What car do you drive?
It is a 2002 hyundai elantra gls

It is even weird that I have more chance to have a jerky motion in 3-4 than 2-3, and I am sure the rpm is higher than what is needed in either case.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

If your rpms are higher than needed, then you'll definitely feel a jerk - the only way to eliminate a jerk is for the engine revs to be matched or very close to the transmission speed before you even begin to release the clutch. If for a certain gear and vehicle speed the engine needs to turn at 2,000rpms, then being at 2,500rpms will feel about exactly as jerky as being at 1,500rpms (but it'll be in the opposite direction). Releasing the clutch more slowly will ease the jerkiness, but the only way to be very smooth is to get the engine closer to the target speed; once you've done that you can release the clutch pedal as quickly as you can and the car still wouldn't jerk.
zaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by zaf »

RITmusic2k wrote:If your rpms are higher than needed, then you'll definitely feel a jerk - the only way to eliminate a jerk is for the engine revs to be matched or very close to the transmission speed before you even begin to release the clutch. If for a certain gear and vehicle speed the engine needs to turn at 2,000rpms, then being at 2,500rpms will feel about exactly as jerky as being at 1,500rpms (but it'll be in the opposite direction). Releasing the clutch more slowly will ease the jerkiness, but the only way to be very smooth is to get the engine closer to the target speed; once you've done that you can release the clutch pedal as quickly as you can and the car still wouldn't jerk.

I know that, but the rpm drops slowly, I do not to wait
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

zaf wrote:the rpm drops slowly, I do not to wait
The only options you have left are to let the clutch out slowly or accept shift shock. With slow-dropping RPM the only way to finish your shift quickly and resume accelerating quickly is to accept shift shock.

zaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by zaf »

theholycow wrote:
zaf wrote:the rpm drops slowly, I do not to wait
The only options you have left are to let the clutch out slowly or accept shift shock. With slow-dropping RPM the only way to finish your shift quickly and resume accelerating quickly is to accept shift shock.

Dose this kind of rev hang happen individually or will all hyundai elantra of that model have that?