got complained about up-shifting

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Re: got complained about up-shifting

Post by jomotopia »

you can't get rid of it entirely. but you don't have to wait for the revs to drop, you can let the clutch out a little slower to pull the revs down rather than waiting for them and dumping the clutch quickly.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
carsncars
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 MINI Cooper

Post by carsncars »

jomotopia wrote:you can't get rid of it entirely. but you don't have to wait for the revs to drop, you can let the clutch out a little slower to pull the revs down rather than waiting for them and dumping the clutch quickly.
Does doing this count as "excess wear" on the clutch (e.g., above normal use wear)? Because I still haven't got my rev-matching right (maybe 75% of the time I do what I'd consider a well-executed rev-match). Other times, I'm like 100-200 RPM above or below and the clutch syncs it up.

Do other standard drivers do that? Or are you all 1337 rev-matchers? :lol:

I have a friend who never rev-matches... anything.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

carsncars wrote:
jomotopia wrote:you can't get rid of it entirely. but you don't have to wait for the revs to drop, you can let the clutch out a little slower to pull the revs down rather than waiting for them and dumping the clutch quickly.
Does doing this count as "excess wear" on the clutch (e.g., above normal use wear)? Because I still haven't got my rev-matching right (maybe 75% of the time I do what I'd consider a well-executed rev-match). Other times, I'm like 100-200 RPM above or below and the clutch syncs it up.

Do other standard drivers do that? Or are you all 1337 rev-matchers? :lol:

I have a friend who never rev-matches... anything.
no, it is perfectly fine and is normal use. a person is not a machine a can not hit every rev match 100% perfectly every time. 100-200 rpm off sometimes is actually pretty good.

the more you drive a particular car, the more accurate you get with rev matching in it at different revs. you just sort of naturally get the feel for it.

for upshifts, the engine needs to slow down. you are off the throttle, so it is slowing down naturally anyway. having the clutch pull it down a bit faster does not cause much wear. the clutch is working with what the engine is already doing, and you are not fighting it with the throttle.

the same applies for downshifts if you rev match. it is best to in general aim a tad high. for one, it helps account for the time between when you let off the throttle and when you engage the clutch. secondly, if you are off when you let out the clutch, it is easier on the equipment to absorb it being too high (same principle as above) rather than if they are too low, in which case the engine is trying to slow down and the clutch has to first stop it, and then speed it up. it's also smoother if you are a bit too high than if you are a bit too low.
carsncars
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 MINI Cooper

Post by carsncars »

jomotopia wrote: no, it is perfectly fine and is normal use. a person is not a machine a can not hit every rev match 100% perfectly every time. 100-200 rpm off sometimes is actually pretty good.
alright so I'm not incompetent. thanks. :lol:

...except, on my way home I had to downshift to 2nd uphill and overshot it by like 1000RPM. whoops. :roll:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

That happens. Happened to me just today when I was coming home. No biggie.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

Sometimes, if I realize I'm going to under-rev a downshift (only if it's within 400 rpm or so), I let the cluth out a little bit earlier, so that it catches the engine while the rpms are still going up. This seems to work well and makes an otherwise botched downshift a lot smoother.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

So why do passengers notice this so much and drivers not so much? Is it similar to not being able to tickle yourself? Is the driver so involved in the process that he anticipates the acceleration fluctuations and braces for them subconsciously?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Exactly. You intend to do something before your body makes it happen. Subconsciously, you're anticipating the changes in the car's acceleration, whether it be acceleration/deceleration, or lateral forces in a turn.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

yeah, as the driver you know what's about to happen so you're ready for it. you also have the steering wheel and pedals to brace yourself. though i've found that as far as passenger head bobbing on upshifts is concerned, i seem to notice it more than my passengers. i see their head bob out of the corner of my eye, but when i ask them about it they didn't notice. i think maybe the OP's passenger is not used to riding in a manual car and is expecting constant acceleration.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'Constance Acceleration" is going to be one of the characters in that novel I'm going to write some day, along with "Manuel Transmission" and "Stan Dard"h
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

As long as you don't punch the clutch when you are accelerating, there will be no head bob at all. Its all about releasing the throttle and pushing the clutch at just the right time. Your goal is to get the car out of gear without a change in acceleration, and get it back in just the same way.

This is why if you clutchless shift no one would ever know you changed gears because the transmission was unloaded.

Try to do the same but with the clutch.
An easy way to get no head bob and to ease out of gear without the clutch and just use it to put the car back into gear.

All the clutch does for you is act like an rpm buffer so you dont have to be 100% accurate.

**Edit
If you want "constant" acceleration, then what you want to do is:

Say you are in 3rd. Put some minimal pressure toward 4th on the shift, so that you have just enough for it to move when the engine is disengaged.

When you push in the clutch there will be a point where it needs to go no further to get the gear shift out. As you push in the clutch with some pressure on the shift, you will know that point by when the shift falls out.

For constant acceleration, get the shift into 4th fairly quickly, (with your left foot in the same place) and the second you get into 4th, let the clutch up, and as you do, add throttle.

I seriously need to make some videos, its too hard to explain in text.
Last edited by fa22raptorf22 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

it is impossible to shift gears without a change in acceleration. the engine and wheels have to be disconnected, however briefly, and you will begin to slow down. the change in acceleration can be smoothed, it can be minimized, but it CAN NOT be completely eliminated.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

jomotopia wrote:it is impossible to shift gears without a change in acceleration. the engine and wheels have to be disconnected, however briefly, and you will begin to slow down. the change in acceleration can be smoothed, it can be minimized, but it CAN NOT be completely eliminated.
On a very slight downhill, the friction of the car's hubs / wheels or whatever would cancel out with the downhill grade at some point.

Also, downhill to the point of terminal velocity would yield no change in acceleration as well.

But I do understand you, and you can get to a point where the change in acceleration is un noticed though not completely eliminated.
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

Rope-Pusher wrote:So why do passengers notice this so much and drivers not so much? Is it similar to not being able to tickle yourself? Is the driver so involved in the process that he anticipates the acceleration fluctuations and braces for them subconsciously?
hahah

yeah i always see my passengers head go forward a bit. kinda makes me sad :?

Ohh well
97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Rope-Pusher wrote:'Constance Acceleration" is going to be one of the characters in that novel I'm going to write some day, along with "Manuel Transmission" and "Stan Dard"h
Throw in a Woodruff Keyes and an Otto Madick, and I say you have a bestseller on your hands :P