Octane Ratings, when did they drop

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Octane Ratings, when did they drop

Post by watkins »

From my perspective, thats far too large of an engine for a four cylinder. The rotating assembly becomes so big and heavy that it cancels out the theoretical fuel savings from not having as many cylinders.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Usta was that valves per liter was kind of a measure of how much power one, or two, might get from a given engine design. High-end sports cars often had many small cylinders in order to increase the power output for a given displacement limit.

There are more ways to detach the epidermis from that feline now, thanks to improved manufacturing, improved engineering technologies, and a lot of cubic money being tossed around.

Thanks to valve spring metalurgy, even 16 valve Nascar motors can spin fast enough to make some serious power and last for 500 miles of racing.

Multivalve motors have become mainstream, as have turbochargers, multiple-fuel injector location schemes, electronic control of boost and knock control and real-time valve lift and duration control.

Multi-sparkplug Hemi engines can make horsepower cheaply when naturally aspirated, or grandly when supercharged, and all that with only 2 valves per cylinder.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 pm Multi-sparkplug Hemi engines can make horsepower cheaply when naturally aspirated, or grandly when supercharged, and all that with only 2 valves per cylinder.
If and when the Hemi goes the way of the dodo, theres no way the replacement will be nearly as simple, reliable, and relatively efficient. Im not looking forward to that day.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 pm Multi-sparkplug Hemi engines can make horsepower cheaply when naturally aspirated, or grandly when supercharged, and all that with only 2 valves per cylinder.
If and when the Hemi goes the way of the dodo, theres no way the replacement will be nearly as simple, reliable, and relatively efficient. Im not looking forward to that day.
The saving grace for DIYers will be that so many of them were installed during the last 15 years in Ram pick-m-ups, Durangoes, Grand Cherokees, Chargers, 300s, Magnums, Challengers, Aspens, and Commanders that they will be available for years at an "Experienced Car Parts Center" near you.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

But that wont have any impact on new production vehicles. The stuff I actually deal with daily.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pmI remember......what was it I remembered?....oh yeah.....I remember when they called it Ethyl and not lead. People knew lead could be poisonous, but Ethyl, why she was some girl your dad dated before he met Mom, right? You too could get lucky with Ethyl like dear old Dad prolly did.
My dad still thinks it's hilarious to say "I have to go pump Ethyl". :lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:10 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pmI remember......what was it I remembered?....oh yeah.....I remember when they called it Ethyl and not lead. People knew lead could be poisonous, but Ethyl, why she was some girl your dad dated before he met Mom, right? You too could get lucky with Ethyl like dear old Dad prolly did.
My dad still thinks it's hilarious to say "I have to go pump Ethyl". :lol:
Whale, yanno that Ethyl's nuttin' but a hussy, right?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtzoUu7w-YM[/youtube]