RomPirate's new-new car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

RomPirate's new-new car

Post by RomPirate »

I got a car!

*Drum roll...*

2007 VW Rabbit! It has a 5cyl, 2.5L engine and of course a 5spd manual trans. Bone stock (aside from rims??). Pretty good condition aside from a "DIY" gone wrong job on the headliner. I have to replace an axle and figure out the funky fuel gauge (sender? gauge?)

I've always liked the look of the VW golf and GTI. The Rabbit's are a few thousand $$ less around here, and seeing as my my cars rarely meet Mr.Redline, the Rabbit seemed like a more logical decision.

Impressions as of now:
>Feels like I am driving a boat. It definitely does not handle like the miata, but is much much more comfortable. Once the suspension goes out, ill get some struts and springs with a mild drop.

>Clutch is very smooth and forgiving.

>Rev hang is not an issue for me. Drives fine.

>Torque is rated at 170 ft-lbs which is nice. Easier to get going, but the engine doesn't like to rev as much as the miata.

>I HATE the "engine braking" dynamics of this car. Absolutely Disgusting. You will let off the gas, and the engine braking takes 4-5 seconds to kick in! Even when you downshift, it takes its sweet time. A ECU flash will supposedly fix this.

I can't say I am in love with the rabbit the same way I was with the Prelude or the Miata... The rabbit is just boring. I will see if it grows on me...

More pics to come.
97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: RomPirate's new-new car

Post by theholycow »

Boat: Funny, mine was the most taut car I've driven. :lol:

Clutch: Aftermarket clutch? Worn-out clutch? Did they do something different in 2007? You would be the only person who has ever called that clutch "forgiving".

Engine braking delay: Welcome to rev hang. It obviously IS an issue for you. That's exactly what rev hang is; it's just far less problematic in-gear than it is when you're trying to shift.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Everything will be boaty compared to a Miata...

The hang on shifts was more a problem for me than the delayed engine braking, but I didn't like either. I got it tuned out of my truck. It's a much more enjoyable drive now.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RomPirate wrote: Image
I will see if it grows on me.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

nice!! definitely did not expect that as i was scrolling down to see what you got. i drove tony's 07 or 08 rabbit back at the 08 SS meat down in west virginy. i found it a nice car and i didn't notice any rev hang when i drove it, even coming from my mechanical and technologically unadvanced 98 maxima. it was also a quick car and we had no problem blowing off most other cars down there.

pic of tony's bunny at the 1st SS meat - my big butt and old car in the background
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

The last time I drove a car with that engine, was the 2.5 in the 2011 Jetta similar?, I was scarified. It may theoretically have the power, but it hides. I preferred my slightly less powerful Focus over that thong. It was much easier to guage when I'd be able to get out of the way in the 160hp/146torque Focus than the 177/170 Jetta. The Jetta had 2 overdrives.

Clutch feel? What is that? I thought it was decent at first, compared to my Kia, but I was spoiled by the Focus.

Anywho, glad you like it. I'd 187 it very quickly
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Oh hey, a thread I can contribute to.

Yeah, rev hang is there and it's something you're going to have to get used to. Towards the time that I sold mine (45k miles after buying it new in 07), I didn't have any issues with driving it smoothly and precisely, but it did take some getting used to. Ever since 2009 when I sold it, all of the vehicles that I've had had much better feeling clutches and better throttle mapping with less revhang.

Until my Subaru. It doesn't bother me enough to detract from the car, but the clutch completely lacks any and all feedback and throttle mapping is heavily, heavily biased towards strong tip-in. This is designed around the CVT, of course, to make the car seem peppier off the line, by artificially feeding it more throttle than you think you're feeding it by having non-linear input of the gas pedal. This also took some time getting used to, even coming from a moder DFW vehicle (the Sonic), which did have a very good clutch feel. Best clutch feel on a modern economy car by a mile.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:The last time I drove a car with that engine, was the 2.5 in the 2011 Jetta similar?, I was scarified. It may theoretically have the power, but it hides. I preferred my slightly less powerful Focus over that thong. It was much easier to guage when I'd be able to get out of the way in the 160hp/146torque Focus than the 177/170 Jetta. The Jetta had 2 overdrives.

Clutch feel? What is that? I thought it was decent at first, compared to my Kia, but I was spoiled by the Focus.

Anywho, glad you like it. I'd 187 it very quickly
I think the 2.5 was the same or almost the same for all ~07+ models. Now that's what I call a good engine. Cue Chewy and the Ewoks.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:I think the 2.5 was the same or almost the same for all ~07+ models. Now that's what I call a good engine. Cue Chewy and the Ewoks.
Torque was increased for 2008.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:I think the 2.5 was the same or almost the same for all ~07+ models. Now that's what I call a good engine. Cue Chewy and the Ewoks.
They gave them more torques for 2008.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

theholycow wrote:Boat: Funny, mine was the most taut car I've driven. :lol:

Clutch: Aftermarket clutch? Worn-out clutch? Did they do something different in 2007? You would be the only person who has ever called that clutch "forgiving".

Engine braking delay: Welcome to rev hang. It obviously IS an issue for you. That's exactly what rev hang is; it's just far less problematic in-gear than it is when you're trying to shift.

I thought rev hang only occurred when shifting gears.

I guess I am spoiled with the miata. The rabbit is certainly a different beast.

More pics:

Interior is certainly nice. Everything is nicely laid out. Material quality feels better than the miata, but plastic seems to crack more easily. Radio bezel is cracked as well as some trim on the door panel.

The shifter is very smooth, almost too smooth. I'm use to hearing the nice crack when shifting into reverse.

The seat is quite comfortable. As is headroom for 6'1" people

I went to Sears today to buy some tools to remove the headliner. Couldn't resist hoarding some $0.79 wrapping paper for next christmas. What do you know, it fits in my trunk! :lol:

Drooping headliners happen... but the previous owner did their own DIY. Quite creative...
97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

BUNNY!

I had/have (?) the rabbit decal metal/plastic thing from tony's rabbit. its probably floating around my room somewhere, i'm a bit of a packrat.

not sure if i got to drive the rabbit, because reasons. (:shrug: bad memory helps those reasons)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote:BUNNY!

not sure if i got to drive the rabbit, because reasons. (:shrug: bad memory helps those reasons)
i thought you drove it on the way down or back. :?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

RomPirate wrote:
Interior is certainly nice. Everything is nicely laid out. Material quality feels better than the miata, but plastic seems to crack more easily. Radio bezel is cracked as well as some trim on the door panel.

The shifter is very smooth, almost too smooth. I'm use to hearing the nice crack when shifting into reverse.
[img]http://s29.postimg.org/oo1u6x68l/shifter.jpg
sounds like it may have been abused/neglected if plastic is cracked. Also, the word is vague and not smooth for a shifter that is like what you describe. :evil:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote: Also, the word is vague and not smooth for a shifter that is like what you describe. :evil:
Nah, it's precise, just fast, smooth, and quiet. You can really flick it fast.
RomPirate wrote:The seat is quite comfortable. As is headroom for 6'1" people

I went to Sears today to buy some tools to remove the headliner. Couldn't resist hoarding some $0.79 wrapping paper for next christmas. What do you know, it fits in my trunk! :lol:
It really is a comfortable car as a whole.

Good score on the wrapping paper!