Upstate NY SS Meet

P911C4
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '04 911, '08 Civic Si

Upstate NY SS Meet

Post by P911C4 »

The whole Northeast section has been dead for almost a month. Now that I'm done with school, I figure I would take the initiative to start a Northeast chapter meet, since it seems like the folks in central Florida have had some luck and a lot of fun.

I live in northern Clifton Park, NY, which is roughly 15 minutes north from Albany. I know there's a lot of upstate NYers on this forum who would be willing to drive at least some distance in order to have a meet, so if anyone has any ideas about a meeting point near the Albany area, share them.

Also, a date. My new job is week-to-week, and I rarely have weekday afternoons off. The last week of July/first week of August is the only time that doesn't work for me. Any suggestions about a meeting date should be posted as well.

I hope to get some feedback soon from fellow upstate NYers so that we can have a SS meet this summer!
StandardShift.com Member #193

The Stable:
//2004 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet 6MT//
//2008 Honda Civic Si 6MT//
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

I'd definitely be down with a meet up near you. I went to SUNY Albany from 99 to 03 and know that area pretty well. My schedule will be changing within a month but I'm not sure what my hours will be. If we decide on a time well in advance though, I could most likely take off.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
P911C4
Senior Standardshifter

Post by P911C4 »

Glad to hear it. I know there's other upstaters on here!

[reply to potownrob/bump]

The Stable:
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

Bleh. Where are the city meets :P
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

We could have a city (he means NYC when he says city) meet too but the Capital Region (Albany area) would be better for driving and more central for other upstaters, plus there are a ton of restaurants and malls and other places to meet in and around Albany. What would be hilarious would be if we met up at a Hoffman's Car Wash :lol: . Too bad I think they closed down Hoffman's Playland in Loudonville near Siena :( .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

What I thought was a cool drive was 9 up from Albany into Saratoga, going through Latham, Round Lake et cetera. I'm sure P911C4's familiar with that stretch, even though it's much quicker to take the Northway to Albany :wink: :D
P911C4
Senior Standardshifter

Post by P911C4 »

potownrob wrote:What I thought was a cool drive was 9 up from Albany into Saratoga, going through Latham, Round Lake et cetera. I'm sure P911C4's familiar with that stretch...
With my old job, I used to take Route 9 from Round Lake to Malta (northbound) every day. With my new job today, I take Route 9 southbound from Saratoga Springs to Round Lake.

It's a great route to drive - more straight than twisty, but it's a scenic route for sure, with plenty of places to stop along the way.

The Stable:
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

Hrm. Maybe sometime during the summer i'd venture out upstate for a meet. It would have to be pretty big though, or timed perfectly with one of my trips to canada. (I drive up to toronto once or twice a year to visit family).
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

NonChalant wrote:Bleh. Where are the city meets :P
thats where its at! 8) :wink:
FREE ROMAN!
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bodder »

Im from rochester and I know theres a couple more of us. Maybe somewhere closer to albany but near syracuse more? so its not such a drive? Im always up for a mini road trip though.

Date. Time. Place and im in.
ra64t wrote: yeah, she has a stick now
P911C4
Senior Standardshifter

Post by P911C4 »

Bodder wrote:Maybe somewhere closer to albany but near syracuse more?
Like Utica? I could probably do Utica.

The Stable:
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

Are you bringing your 911? :twisted: :lol:
What'cha gonna do when we come for you?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

I could do Utica. I drove there once from Albany just to see their Barnes & Noble as part of my B&N tour phase. I know there's a Friendly's there too :D :wink: .
buster
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Prius

Post by buster »

potownrob wrote: I went to SUNY Albany from 99 to 03 and know that area pretty well.
I went to SUNY Albany from '89-'95. Damn you make me feel old...

Wish I still lived up there for the more exciting driving as compared to downstate. You guys would have a blast if you met up.
"and Leon's getting laaaarrrrgggggeeeerrrr"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

buster wrote: Wish I still lived up there for the more exciting driving as compared to downstate. You guys would have a blast if you met up.
You mean we will have a blast when we meet up :wink: :D 8) :P