Electric cars outsold the manual transmission for the first time in 2019

All the news that's fit to shift.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Electric cars outsold the manual transmission for the first time in 2019

Post by Standardshifter »

https://autos.yahoo.com/electric-cars-o ... 00648.html

The manual transmission's long, harrowing demise continued in 2019. For the first time, the number of electric cars sold new in America was higher than the number of vehicles delivered with three pedals and a clutch disc.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Electric cars outsold the manual transmission for the first time in 2019

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The filet mignon's long, harrowing demise continued in 2019. For the first time, the number of Whitecastles sold in America was higher than the number of filet's delivered with bacon wrapping and zip sauce.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Standardshifter wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00 am https://autos.yahoo.com/electric-cars-o ... 00648.html

The manual transmission's long, harrowing demise continued in 2019. For the first time, the number of electric cars sold new in America was higher than the number of vehicles delivered with three pedals and a clutch disc.
Is there some reason we can't have our cake and eat it too. What if we had an electric car along with three pedals and a clutch disk. There must be a limit to how fast we want to spin an electric motor and a gearbox would be just the think to keep that number down to a reasonable level.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:00 am
Standardshifter wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00 am https://autos.yahoo.com/electric-cars-o ... 00648.html

Is there some reason we can't have our cake and eat it too. What if we had an electric car along with three pedals and a clutch disk. There must be a limit to how fast we want to spin an electric motor and a gearbox would be just the think to keep that number down to a reasonable level.
Check out Formula E racing. They DO use multi-speed gearboxes, but some teams choose lighter, more compact gearboxes with fewer available gear ranges.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Hmm....same thread from last November....

https://www.standardshift.com/forum/vie ... 23#p386623
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Bears Repeating

When the competion among BEV makers really heats up, you'll see more use of multi-speed transmixers.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Since electric cars have a limited range, what happens when we include an air conditioning unit in the electric car? I would think the existing limited range would be severely further limited. Electric car seems to be best suited as a grocery getter, particularly for the elderly who drive 2 miles to the crocery store once a week and a few miles to church once a week, and never go anywhere else if they can help it.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Provided you have 40 grand or so to throw at it, the range isn't that limited anymore. Not the car for supercommuters, traveling salesmen, or road trips unless you can plan out a tourist trap every couple or few hundred miles that happens to be next to a charger, but with some adjustments, manageable for the way most people use a car most of the time (provided they can install a home charger).

Temperature extremes at both ends of the scale are damaging to range but the big hit is in the winter, as electric a/c compressors are efficient but resistive heating is not, and cold weather is also the worse impact on battery capacity.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i think eye may have mentioned in here about my sister's bf and his weird driving habits with his tesla model s. he'll drive through mountains to save miles, and he likes to stop at weird places to use their superchargers. usually, instead of going into the places with the superchargers, he'll read a book or sleep while the car is charging. seems to work for him, but makes things awkward for his passengers, especially my sister. if he had a non-tesla, i'd imagine his habits would bee much different. he has unlimited charging grandfathered into his current tesla, but he'll lose it when he replaces this one (which is getting on in years).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:56 pm Since electric cars have a limited range, what happens when we include an air conditioning unit in the electric car? I would think the existing limited range would be severely further limited. Electric car seems to be best suited as a grocery getter, particularly for the elderly who drive 2 miles to the crocery store once a week and a few miles to church once a week, and never go anywhere else if they can help it.
it depends on how the a/c works (there are different system types), but it will affect it no matter what. eye believe the honda element (plug in hybrid) has an electric unit that ultimately seems to work best with that vehicle with its bigger battery setup to affect the mileage the least of at least most hybrids, plug-in hybrids and evs.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Mercedes follows the lead of Audi and BMW and gets out of Formula E race series

"Formula E champions Mercedes will withdraw from the all-electric series in 2022 to concentrate on Formula One."

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 4-readmore
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wilma and Betty were ahead of their times

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqJ2DclEg[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqJ2DclEg[/youtube]