mkIV gti help

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Re: mkIV gti help

Post by hockeystyx16 »

speaking of twizzler frames, i need to build my subframe ties too. nowhere near the bodyroll with my coilovers, but i can still feel the chassis flexing when nascar weaving at speed.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 VW GTI 1.8T

Post by pobrien »

Well i didnt feel like making a new thread just for this question, but basically, if i am DCing, and i under rev a tad, do the synchros have to do more work as compared to regular downshifting(which i have yet to do)? cuz i let the clutch go fairly fast as i am usually right on the money or real close, but sometimes i under/over rev a bit(partly due to DBW) and the car jerks somewhat hard real quick cuz the synchros have to kick it to the right revs fast. how bad is that if at all?
-OB
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 VW Golf

Post by pmacutay »

no because you did some, but not all, of the work for the synchros. they just have to sync what the difference is, and if you blipped the revs up, it has less difference to synchronize.

the car doesn't jerk around because of the synchros, by the time the stick is in gear the synchros have completely done their work. the car jerks around simply because you were at the wrong rpm's when you let up the clutch.
95 VR6 Golf Sport
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pobrien »

oh ok. well then i guess my question should be changed a bit to how bad if at all it is for the clutch, not the synchros b/c i am referring to the jerking itself which makes it feel like it is not good for my car.
-OB
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

Pmacutay, i just remembered, I have a Autotech engine mount. I bought it for over 50 dollars, I can sell it to you for 25 shipped. only has like 4,000 or so miles on it IIRC. It's stronger than Even Stage III BFI mounts i believe, as far as the front lower mount, you want the absolute hardest one you can get since it doesnt affect the smoothness or vibration
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

pobrien wrote:oh ok. well then i guess my question should be changed a bit to how bad if at all it is for the clutch, not the synchros b/c i am referring to the jerking itself which makes it feel like it is not good for my car.
not bad at all, don't worry about it. you could be doing worse things to your clutch (like trying to do a burnout in 2nd gear like me once and glazing it)
95 VR6 Golf Sport
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pobrien »

So my new light bulbs came in today (Silverstars if you dont remember) which was pretty fast free shipping from the UK no less. i installed the low beams no prob. then i had to find out how to access the high beam and city light bulbs through another cover. managed to squeeze in through the tiny hole and put the high beam bulbs in. it was a huge PITA trying to do the left headlight as the battery was right behind it. i couldnt figure out how to take the city light out tho as it was different from the rest and haynes had no help in that department. tried a few things but didnt want to break it so posted a question on the vortex and replaced everything to wait.

btw chris, if your headlights take H7 halogens and you want/need one you can have my new one i just took out. it was in there for literally like 3 days before i took it out to put my new ones in.

also, i decided to kill my DRLs as i find the sun bright enough to drive in and if its not/sh1tty weather then i can just turn the headlight switch on as the DRLs and turning my headlights on are the same thing in my car except turning the switch turns the interior lights on as well. figured id save some life on the bulbs. took about 30 seconds to go in and disable them from the driver's seat w/o any tools lol.

EDIT: Now that its dark out i went to see what they look like and hot damn, so much nicer. a nice bright white thats easier to see with and also seems to go further. now i really want to switch my city lights tho cuz they are ugly yellowish and dont blend in very well with my other lights.
-OB
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

pobrien wrote:btw chris, if your headlights take H7 halogens and you want/need one you can have my new one i just took out. it was in there for literally like 3 days before i took it out to put my new ones in.
No idea what kind of lights I need. But if they fit and theyre better than what I have, Ill trade you a beef for them.

No, pervs, a roast beef sandwich
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pobrien »

took a quick google and they dont look they they will fit. i only had one anyway. it just feels like a waste to throw away a brand new bulb. for like $13 no less :x . cant bring it back to autozone either cuz its been used
-OB
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

+1 for OSRAM (not sylvania) silverstars. Pretty much the best halogen you can buy.
95 VR6 Golf Sport
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pobrien »

pmacutay wrote:+1 for OSRAM (not sylvania) silverstars. Pretty much the best halogen you can buy.
yeah they're sick. i got to actually test them today during torrential downpours at night and they are SOO much nicer than my own bulbs. i can see so clearly cuz the light is actually white not dull yellowish. very happy i got these. at at the price i did too.
pmacutay if you didnt get yours from http://www.powerbulbs.com i would recommend them. free shipping anywhere in the world and still rather fast. not to mention i got a free extra pair of bulbs(same ones) with the purchase of the silverstars, and a free set of phillips blue vision city bulbs.
-OB
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

wow, sounds like a good deal. I'll recommend them to anyone running halogens looking for em.

(i'm running 4300K HIDs so i don't really need em. maybe for my brights or something :P)
95 VR6 Golf Sport
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pobrien »

pmacutay wrote:wow, sounds like a good deal. I'll recommend them to anyone running halogens looking for em.

(i'm running 4300K HIDs so i don't really need em. maybe for my brights or something :P)
you bastard. i want shiny things...

ok i lied, this is actually my last post before i go up to read :P
-OB
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pobrien »

Back from the dead!!!! Haha, basically I wanted to get ppls opinions on these rims im thinking of buying. I'm really only looking to get new tires, but its $450 for the wheel/tire package and both look in good shape. I'm just not sure about black rims...

and my old wheels:

Opinions?
-OB
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Didnt expect you back on here any time soon.

What size? And regardless its better than the steelies your on now.